Dune Trivia

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:What kind of mass transit is used in the era after the imperium, and how does it work?
Tubes? They use suspensor fields.
You are on the right track with suspensors. But tubes? No. At least, Im not aware of any tubes being used in the original six books, for mass transit of people.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

bryanvdk wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:What kind of mass transit is used in the era after the imperium, and how does it work?
You are on the right track with suspensors. But tubes? No. At least, Im not aware of any tubes being used in the original six books, for mass transit of people.

busses? such as the one driven by Clairby in CH:D
Yep. You have found the answer, so why dont you tell us about how they are powered, and what they drive upon?

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:
bryanvdk wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

Yep. You have found the answer, so why dont you tell us about how they are powered, and what they drive upon?
Suspensor powered on Glazeways (glass roads).
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

That's it.

See guys? There is uncovered trivia left in the books.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

bryanvdk wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
bryanvdk wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

damn, knew that too. 4:30am Freak? thats trivia dedication :wink:
Sleep is for the weak, there will be time for that when I'm dead! :P

I'll post a new question later...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:
bryanvdk wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
bryanvdk wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

damn, knew that too. 4:30am Freak? thats trivia dedication :wink:
Sleep is for the weak, there will be time for that when I'm dead! :P

I'll post a new question later...
To stay awake all night adds a day to one's life, right?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I was getting ready to go to work actually. I work 6-4:30 M-Th
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

In Leto II's empire, what agency deals with spice hoarders?
~Pink Snowman
Dunenewt

Post by Dunenewt »

Fish Speakers were sent after newly discovered spice hoards.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Dunenewt wrote:Fish Speakers were sent after newly discovered spice hoards.
Not what I am looking for. Sure they go after it, but that wasn't the question.

:wink:
~Pink Snowman
Spice Grandson

Post by Spice Grandson »

Freakzilla wrote:In Leto II's empire, what agency deals with spice hoarders?
The Bureau of the Faith.
Keep it civil. Keep it cool.

ImageImage

http://www.filmreviewstew.com
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Spice Grandson wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:In Leto II's empire, what agency deals with spice hoarders?
The Bureau of the Faith.
Correct! :o
~Pink Snowman
Spice Grandson

Post by Spice Grandson »

What two reasons might Leto II have allowed the Harkonnens to build and stock their no-room?

ImageImage

Spice Grandson

Post by Spice Grandson »

bryanvdk wrote:
Spice Grandson wrote:What two reasons might Leto II have allowed the Harkonnens to build and stock their no-room?
to drain their resources, and it would serve the purposes of duncan and teg later on
Correct!

ImageImage

Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

bryanvdk wrote:
Spice Grandson wrote:What two reasons might Leto II have allowed the Harkonnens to build and stock their no-room?
to drain their resources, and it would serve the purposes of duncan and teg later on
Not debating the trivia question, as those were reasons the characters put forth...but there's no way Leto planned for Duncan and Teg to use a no-room. He couldn't see them using it, and he PROBABLY couldn't see them. Really, the only one he might have seen was Duncan, and it's unlikely(especially if you accept the new canon. No WAY Leto could see the Super Kwisatz Haderach, right?).

Wait, how can you even ask that question, from a new canon point of view? Wasn't that no-room built by the Baron in the House series? Leto II couldn't have stopped that from...oh, wait that's right, his parents not even being born yet.

Think these things through before you ask them if you want to argue for the new books. :?
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Sometimes a trivia question is just a trivia question. He put "might" in there.
loremaster

Post by loremaster »

Phaedrus, you make good points.

It's why im not willing to give up on Byron JUST yet... there may be some hope for him.
The HLP hasnt released Frank's notes yet, Brian hasn't got the handwriting quite right!
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Mandy wrote:Sometimes a trivia question is just a trivia question. He put "might" in there.
"Might" implies it's possible, when it clearly isn't possible for Leto to "allow" anyone to do anything before he was born. :?

And Leto can't see people with the Siona gene, so he's not going to see Miles Teg at all to help him. He can't have planned for something like that.

The answer is correct, as found in the book(characters are putting forth ideas as to why the no-globe is there, the listed reasons are what they come up with), but I'm taking issue with some of the things that answer as stated implies. This thread is about Dune trivia and knowledge, so there's nothing wrong with me correcting something that might be misleading.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
orald

Post by orald »

God Leto could still see things affected by Siona etc, and he could deduce things byond mere mortal comprehension with his genius.
That's why Teg&co assume he might've known someone would use and need that no-globe.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

orald wrote:God Leto could still see things affected by Siona etc, and he could deduce things byond mere mortal comprehension with his genius.
That's why Teg&co assume he might've known someone would use and need that no-globe.
I have to assume you're either being sarcastic or a moron.
orald

Post by orald »

Not being sarcastic, and thank you, but I don't think "moron" would qualify either.

Doesn't God Leto tell Hwi or Siona(or both?) that he can sense stuff disappearing? And he can deduce alot, you know.
Also, does Petrin have the Siona gene?

Besides, Teg&co seem pretty certain God Leto knew alot.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I don't think he was being either.. guess I'll have to assume you're being an asshole.

Meh.. now I'm being an asshole. Sorry.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

orald wrote:Not being sarcastic, and thank you, but I don't think "moron" would qualify either.

Doesn't God Leto tell Hwi or Siona(or both?) that he can sense stuff disappearing? And he can deduce alot, you know.
There's a difference between noticing something disappearing through prescience and detecting minutiae that have always been hidden from you. Remember, this is a long time after the introduction of the Siona gene and no-technology, a LOT of things have disappeared, AND we have Leto's word that he never saw beyond his own death except to make sure the Golden Path continues.
Also, does Petrin have the Siona gene?
Yes. Most people in the post-Scattering world do, and especially someone working for the Bene Gesserit.
Besides, Teg&co seem pretty certain God Leto knew alot.
They also believed that he wielded a magic influence on events in the Old Empire through the worms. They aren't necessarily right.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Leto wouldn't need to know what the no room was going to be used for to determine it was necessary. We know that he could sense what was needed for the GP to continue. So.. perhaps he contemplated destroying the no room, and felt the GP twitch.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I think it usually "winked" at him, but I see what you mean. ;)

Still...by that point the Scattering was a thing of the past and it was after the four millennia and into the "just peekin'!" period. He could have destroyed the no-globe at any time after its completion, but the time to act to prevent its completion was early in his reign, if it was built before his own at Dar-es-Balat.

Hmmm....
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"