Tim O'Reillys book about Frank Herbert available online...

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

inhuien

Tim O'Reillys book about Frank Herbert available online...

Post by inhuien »

Tim O'Reilly's book about Frank Herbert is available online http://tim.oreilly.com/herbert/
Tim O'Reilly wrote:My goal in writing the book was not to be a "critic", but an enthusiast. I wanted to share the additional information I'd uncovered, to present it in a way that illuminated Herbert's work without diminishing it or "dullifying" it. In many ways, this was the same goal I embraced as a technical writer, to bring transparent assistance to the reader's own experience, not to replace it with my own.
I hope those of you who are Frank Herbert fans will enjoy the book, and that those of you who are not (yet) will give his books a try. In addition, a few years later, I put together a book with Frank, a collection of his essays called The Maker of Dune, which was published by Berkely/Putnam. That too is out of print, but since most of the writing in it is Frank Herbert's, not mine, I can't in good conscience pull the same trick of putting it up on the Web. You may be able to find a used copy somewhere, or, if enough people care about it, perhaps the publisher could be persuaded to put it back into print. (Actually, I suppose that I could put up the interviews, which I believe I retained copyright on, but that's a project for another day.)
lotek

Re: Tim O'Reillys book about Frank Herbert available online...

Post by lotek »

interesting!

thanks good find!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Dullifying. Goooood word! :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I shot two or three e-mails to O'Reilly's people a few years ago, asking for copies of those interviews. Never got a reply.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

Omphalos wrote:I shot two or three e-mails to O'Reilly's people a few years ago, asking for copies of those interviews. Never got a reply.
You can find 'em on Amazon pretty decently.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Superdog wrote:
Omphalos wrote:I shot two or three e-mails to O'Reilly's people a few years ago, asking for copies of those interviews. Never got a reply.
Ive got that book already. There are other, full interviews that he has, that were source material for what he put into that. I wanted the original transcripts.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:
Superdog wrote:
Ive got that book already. There are other, full interviews that he has, that were source material for what he put into that. I wanted the original transcripts.
You might want to try snail mail. Some people, believe it or not, still don't think of email as legit correspondence.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Superdog wrote:
You might want to try snail mail. Some people, believe it or not, still don't think of email as legit correspondence.
Tim O'Reilley is the CEO of O'Reilly books; the "how to" books for just about every computer application out there. I'm pretty confident that he's up to speed on e-mail. :wink:

Actually, now that I think about it, I sent the e-mail off and got a response from one of his underlings. He told that Tim gets too many e-mails to read them himself, but that he would take ask him and get back to me. Then, nada.

As for the interviews, there are a few dozen reel to reel tapes in the Fullerton archives. I'm hoping to take a dubbing machine down there one day and copy them all.

Goodnight Golden Path!
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

Hi thanks for the heads up, I copied the book as a text document and now I have it in my Ipod (Stanza Reader) I uploaded the book to Scribd too:

http://www.scribd.com/full/31644222?acc ... jvzp874oaz
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

The stuff about the Butlerian Jihad in that book has always been an enlightening read. ;) Too bad a couple of hacks didn't read it first.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

cmsahe wrote:Hi thanks for the heads up, I copied the book as a text document and now I have it in my Ipod (Stanza Reader) I uploaded the book to Scribd too:

http://www.scribd.com/full/31644222?acc ... jvzp874oaz
Good idea. :D
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

Crysknife wrote:The stuff about the Butlerian Jihad in that book has always been an enlightening read. ;) Too bad a couple of hacks didn't read it first.
I guess The Three Stooges have refuted this book as they did with the Dune Encyclopedia. :crazy:
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe