LA Times article on Dune's Timeless Appeal.

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

lotek

Re: LA Times article on Dune's Timeless Appeal.

Post by lotek »

has byby deleted the topic yet?

:lol: :lol:
Spice is the worm's gonads.
lotek

Post by lotek »

The main reason some people were banned from this site was that they tried to hijack every thread and make it about something negative (i.e., attacking the new authors mostly or attacking anyone who doesn't believe as they do). That's my concern here. This article was not "about" Brian and/or Kevin. It included two lines "about" them that some decided to take advantage of and use as the sole reason for this article's existence.
:lol:

what a moron...
not even able to defend his point of view...

Why the "about"? It is about, period!

oh yeah we attack?

Dumbfuck :doh:

His concern is ignoring the evalution by a professional critic of his beloved idiots: they suck and that's that...

EDIT
Clarification: We don't have the right to post the entire article here. Which is why the link exists to it.
but you take the right to copy paste other people's work without quoting your sources :liar:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

ZING! :lol:

(I dropped by Khalid's yesterday and told him about the Doughty book & gom jabbar. ;) )

Seriously, though, what's the difference between "attacking anyone who doesn't believe as [you] do" and suppressing the comments of and banning everyone who doesn't agree with you?

YES, I attack fools who think the McDune shit is a worthy "extension" of the Dune series, because I don't think it is. But they're always free to attack back. When you ban and censor, you remove your opponent's ability to do that. I may not hold the moral high ground, but I think I'm a few steps higher up the slope than Byron Merritt.

FUCK him, anyway. He's a review-scribbling ER nurse/family corporation toady who happens to have some DNA from and childhood memories of a famous sci-fi writer. At this rate he's going to be less of a Dune footnote than KJA.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Posted:
Nekhrun wrote:
boardadmin wrote:Clarification: We don't have the right to post the entire article here. Which is why the link exists to it.
I'm surprised that the DuneNovels Twitter account doesn't attribute this link then. http://baheyeldin.com/literature/arabic ... -dune.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems like that's where most of the tweets are coming from.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
lotek

Post by lotek »

cheers!

as you said Chig; we might not stand a very high moral ground but we never took the fight on that level...
fucking hypocrites, they're so easily confounded!
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

I joined Jacurutu immediately after reading the posts about the LA Times article. I saw that the administrator seemed to be talking to himself, then realized he was responding to a bunch of things that were being censored. I thought of posting, "I agree with everything in this article," just to protest the administrator's attempts to control the discussion. But why should I even participate in a forum where I'm going to be censored, even if I don't use inappropriate language or slander anyone?

Fan expresses opinion without swearing or ad hominem attacks - fan gets censored. So who has the agenda? I say it's the f***ing t***gobbler who posted the article in the first place. Actually, t***gobbler might be libelous. I would like to apologize for calling Byron a t***gobbler.

This is too much fun. It's too much fun because they don't have a leg to stand on over there, so they have to resort to censorship.

Oh, and also because the new books are obviously s***, and everyone, including the L.A. Times, knows it. Never should've posted that article. Why haven't they banned the L.A. Times for hijacking their website with that kind of negativity? I think "journeyman" might be libelous. It's definitely negative.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

merkin muffley wrote:...why should I even participate in a forum where I'm going to be censored, even if I don't use inappropriate language or slander anyone?
This tickles my funny bone :-)
Byron, like a good admin, refers to an interesting article on the subject in hopes of generating discussion on his board.
People point out that said article, because it is not written by a moron or someone getting paid, says the new book sucks.
So he has to censor, and huff and puff, and go on the defensive about it.
And it all comes to naught, because anyone left over there with a functioning brain (welcome MM :-) ) can see what is going on.

So what can Byron learn from this little story?
Don't post interesting stuff. Only post on fantasy movie casts, and discussions of KJA's twits can be allowed. Not surprising, but funny!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

merkin muffley wrote:t***gobbler
You mean like this?

IIRC I first posted the above on DN in response to some stupid preeq argument or other (I'd like to say it was a response to TAZ, but can't be sure). The Almighty Byrdadimn edited it out PDQ.

Fastest flush in the West! :lol:
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Nekhrun wrote:Posted:
Nekhrun wrote:
boardadmin wrote:Clarification: We don't have the right to post the entire article here. Which is why the link exists to it.
I'm surprised that the DuneNovels Twitter account doesn't attribute this link then. http://baheyeldin.com/literature/arabic ... -dune.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems like that's where most of the tweets are coming from.

No reply.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Did you really expect one? ;)

"LA LA LA LA LA! I can't HEAR YOU!!!" :lol:

I guess the "high" part of their "high road" is the way their butts go up in the air when their heads go into the sand.

Oh well, so be it. Everybody grab a broom handle! Lube is optional. :twisted:
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:Did you really expect one? ;)
I expected one in the form of a deleted comment.

Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

SandChigger wrote:I guess the "high" part of their "high road" is the way their butts go up in the air when their heads go into the sand.
:clap:

Very nice.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well, I was inspired by that image lotek posted of the guy in the suit. ;)