B.G., A.G., and the reckoning of time...

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

B.G., A.G., and the reckoning of time...

Post by SandChigger »

Anyone ever notice that the only place "B.G." is actually used in the books in the sense of "Before Guild" is three entries in the Terminology? (Corrin, Battle of; Jihad, Butlerian; and Zensunni)

That "A.G." never appears anywhere at all?

And that after Leto ascends the throne, time seems to be reckoned in terms of his reign? (A.R.L. (Anno Regni Latonae), anyone? ;) ) This last makes sense, considering the gradual decrease in the importance of the Guild, especially after the INMs.

(Been thinking about this since working on a concordance entry for RM Syaksa the other night...)
A Thing of Eternity

Re: B.G., A.G., and the reckoning of time...

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Now that you mention it, they just call it year ______ of the Padishah Emperor or somesuch? Sorry, my memory's not great today and I don't have my files.
A Little Galach

Post by A Little Galach »

By Jove!

That's interesting and very FH. Giving you just a bit of information to draw a conclusion from. Nice pickup.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Now that you mention it, they just call it year ______ of the Padishah Emperor or somesuch? Sorry, my memory's not great today and I don't have my files.
Yep. The very first example of that should be the most famous:
A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct. This every sister of the Bene Gesserit knows. To begin your study of the life of Muad'Dib, then, take care that you first place him in his time: born in the 57th year of the Padishah Emperor, Shaddam IV. ...
Of course, that has to be interpreted as "in the 57th year of life of" or the dating of events gets even hairier. ;)

I believe Dune is actually the ONLY book in which FH gives specific Standard/Guild-reckoning dates, and with the exception of the birth and death years for Wellington Yueh in the epigraph to Ch. 5 and the Terminology entries I mentioned earlier, all of them occur in Appendix IV: The Almanak en-Ashraf (Selected Excerpts of the Noble Houses).

Evidently FH felt adding "A.G." would have been redundant. ;)
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:Evidently FH felt adding "A.G." would have been redundant. ;)
It's so far after the formation of the Guild I guess it either doesn't matter or it's common knowledge. When we write dates we usually don't write AD or CE unless there's a chance of confusion, like maybe an ancient history text.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Of course, that has to be interpreted as "in the 57th year of life of" or the dating of events gets even hairier. ;)
really ?

because the way it's phrased, I'd take it to mean the 57th year of the reign ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

SandRider wrote:
really ?

because the way it's phrased, I'd take it to mean the 57th year of the reign ....
I suppose someone could work it out from the Appendix wherein his year of birth is given. I don't have my copy with me at the moment though.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
It's so far after the formation of the Guild I guess it either doesn't matter or it's common knowledge. When we write dates we usually don't write AD or CE unless there's a chance of confusion, like maybe an ancient history text.
Good point, in day to day speach we really only specify if we mean something other than the Common Era, or if the conversation is about something that might involve dates from both before and after 0.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Good point, in day to day speach we really only specify if we mean something other than the Common Era, or if the conversation is about something that might involve dates from both before and after 0.
(N.B there is no year 0 in the Gregorian calendar.)
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
A Thing of Eternity

SadisticCynic wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
(N.B there is no year 0 in the Gregorian calendar.)
Yes yes, by zero I mean the pretendy split second dividing BCE and CE. :roll: Obviously there is no "year 0" such is why I just wrote "0" without the word year.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

SadisticCynic wrote:I suppose someone could work it out from the Appendix wherein his year of birth is given. I don't have my copy with me at the moment though.
Appendix IV: The Almanak en-Ashraf:
The Padishah Emperor, 81st of his line (House Corrino) to occupy the Golden Lion Throne, reigned from 10,156 (date his father, Elrood IX, succumbed to chaumurky) until replaced by the 10,196 Regency set up in the name of his eldest daughter, Irulan.
If Shaddam ascends the throne in 10156, the 57th year of his reign would be 10213. Since the Atreides move to Arrakis and all the fun starts in 10191, that's obviously wrong.

Paul is 15 at the time of the move, putting his birth in 10176. 57 years before that is 10119. (This is obviously the thinking behind the date they give in the House books, where the dates in Dune for Shaddam & Fenring are called "typographical errors". N.B. Dr Torkos, in his timeline, gives 10175 as Paul's birthyear, but still ends up with 10119 for Shaddam's.)

Here's a question for the gallery: how much time is covered by the narrative in each of Messiah and Children? We know that it's 12 years between Dune and DM and 9 years between DM and CoD. Torkos gives 10217 for the date of Leto's ascension. Does that seem right?
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I came up with 10215... with no years for the narratives. I don't think they took very long but i guess they could cumulate two years. I don't think there's anything in the text to back that up though.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I came up with 10214 myself, but that was also leaving no time for the book periods. Hmmm.... :think:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Leto's ascension = 10191 (Begining of Dune) + 3 (Dune Narrative) + 12 (Between Dune and DM) + 9 (Age of the twins in CoD)
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Freakzilla wrote:3 (Dune Narrative)
OK, that's the source of the difference: I used the 10193 "Arrakis Revolt" date, which obviously leaves only two years for the Dune narrative.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Well, it starts in 10191 and says Paul spent three years in the desert.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

So we throw out the Almanak en-Ashraf date for the Arrakis Revolt & deaths of Baron Harkonnen & Beast Rabban (10193) as well?

The problem is we're not told when in the year things happen. If the Atreides moved to Arrakis late in 10190 or early in 10191, then "nearly three years" could easily fall within late 10193.

Btw, where is the "three years" quote from? I can only find this:
He is going to bring Gurney Halleck here, she thought. And she wondered at the strange mingling of emotions that filled her. Gurney and his music had been a part of so many pleasant times on Caladan before the move to Arrakis. She felt that Caladan had happened to some other person. In the nearly three years since then, she had become another person. Having to confront Gurney forced a reassessment of the changes. (D 44:93)
To my way of reading, that says the "nearly three years" covers the time from the move from Caladan. How much time do you estimate there was from the arrival on Arrakis to the Harkonnen/Sardaukar attack?
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

SandChigger wrote:...How much time do you estimate there was from the arrival on Arrakis to the Harkonnen/Sardaukar attack?
I don't recall any hard facts as to duration but my guess would be roughly 2 or 3 months. How long was there from Gurney returning to the fold and the Atreides recapturing Arrakis?