Duncan in God Emperor

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

MrFlibble

Re: Duncan in God Emperor

Post by MrFlibble »

Laphtiya wrote:True, they could have taken cells from the original before reviving the corpse of Idaho, but I always imagined that they basically had the original body on ice somewhere and just took cells from it when Leto demanded a new Ghola. Again it could depend on how the Gholas were conditioned before the reawakening of the original memories.
We're now back to square one, since if Duncan in GEoD was grown from the cells taken before he was brought back to life as Hayt, no way this Duncan could remember Leto and Ghanima.

BTW, an interesting question is when exactly the Tleilaxu started to grow gholas as clones from cells, rather than revive corpses in axolotl tanks.

Another noteworthy thing is that Bijaz, when learning of Duncan's restored memories, gleefully says he's going to get back all his past lives, implying that a) the axolotl regrowth process could be used multiple times with the same person and b) in such a case, it was possible to regain all of the memories even if previous ghola incarnations did not have their original memories awakened. The latter is a bit dubious since Duncan was the very first ghola to regain his former personality, but I guess since the Tleilaxu attempted this before, they had certain more or less viable theories about the whole process.
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
Laphtiya

Post by Laphtiya »

MrFlibble wrote:
Another noteworthy thing is that Bijaz, when learning of Duncan's restored memories, gleefully says he's going to get back all his past lives, implying that a) the axolotl regrowth process could be used multiple times with the same person and b) in such a case, it was possible to regain all of the memories even if previous ghola incarnations did not have their original memories awakened. The latter is a bit dubious since Duncan was the very first ghola to regain his former personality, but I guess since the Tleilaxu attempted this before, they had certain more or less viable theories about the whole process.

I think it is safe to assume that the Tleilaxu have been attempting this for a long time so I would have assumed that they have been trying revive themselves through this method since before Dune.
lotek

Post by lotek »

they have been trying and Duncan's compulsion to kill a loved one is the "lever" the Tleilaxu have been looking for.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Yes but remember Hayt was the regrown/repaired body of the original duncan, so all the cells that Leto II used were from this body therefore he should have the Hayt Ghola memories as well.
Leto II claimed his Duncans were from the original cells.

[edit] Make that commanded.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Laphtiya

Post by Laphtiya »

Thats true Freak but Hayt was the original cells of Idaho.....unless the Tleilaxu took samples from him before they created Hayt but I cant see a reason for doing that so I'd have to assume that all Duncan cells came from the original/Hayt body.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Laphtiya wrote:Thats true Freak but Hayt was the original cells of Idaho.....unless the Tleilaxu took samples from him before they created Hayt but I cant see a reason for doing that so I'd have to assume that all Duncan cells came from the original/Hayt body.
Hayt died in Sietch Tabr, it would be just as safe to assume Stilgar sent his body to the deathstills, his water going to Stilgar. Therefore, you have to assume the BT saved some original cells.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Also, Leto declared mentats illegal and Hayt was a mentat.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:Also, Leto declared mentats illegal and Hayt was a mentat.
Just because it's illegal doesn't mean it doesn't happen though. The BG still used them.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Leto tolerated the BG but he was very specific about his Duncans being the original and had the Fish Speakers study them for several days upon arrival to ensure they were unaltered.
~Pink Snowman
Orthodox

Post by Orthodox »

If I remember right, Duncan was supposed to breed with the Fish Speakers, wasn't he? Or did he?
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere. Climb the mountain just a little bit to test it's a mountain. From the top of the mountain, you cannot see the mountain. -- Frank Herbert
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Orthodox wrote:If I remember right, Duncan was supposed to breed with the Fish Speakers, wasn't he? Or did he?
He was to be a control in the Atreides line. He did have sex with Fish Speakers but I think that was outside the official breeding program.
~Pink Snowman
Onasander

Post by Onasander »

I don't remember anything being said one way or the other deciding if all the Duncans came from the original or Hayt. Any swordsman is naturally going to have some Mentat capacity- the two artforms are not mutually exclusive, but interdependent. Anyone who studied a martial art would know what I am talking about..... strategy, tactics, situational awareness, and philosophy are a heavy portion of it. This being said, the one doesn't make you the other.

The Duncans are mentioned, and assumed in the gap between CofD and GEoD.... we don't know what Leto had up his sleeve in terms of expectations in each of those lives, he could of resurrected a 3rd generation one for all we know. It would be to Leto's obvious advantage to have at Duncan who knew who the hell he was though- coming to consciousness with your last memory being helping Paul and Jessica out in the Desert- and suddenly there is this big smelly, human headed worm infront of you isn't good- I don't care what he is told before his awakening on a intellectual level- that shit just isn't jiving.

However, being able to see Leto's face- and knowing he took after his after, and knowing the kid was a bit odd growing up and took too much after his father..... this would obviously be a good Duncan to bring back..... you don't want him too knowledgeable- and you certainly don't want one who tried to kill Leto in a pass life.

This however, as much of this thread- is pure conjecture and speculation.... and no one really knows what went on with the Duncans. I suspect plenty of room for variation as per Leto's needs and requests.

I will however go out on a limb though- into Jungian psychology, and suggest each Duncan- though identicle, landed in different times and circumstances- almost always shocked and disgusted, but each time for different reasons- and thus his personality typology would change in each life based on the patterns of his pre-resurrection values. It's not a matter of memories, but his shift in personality. It would be the equivalent of cloning you, and dropping you off in the reality of the movies of Aliens, Total Recall, Star Trek, and The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants- your going to grow and respond differently in each case- despite being a exacting clone each and every time. New people and circumstances, and situations to adapt to. We all grow, we all adapt.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

You're.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Nekhrun wrote:You're.
:lol:

Seconded.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I think I actually like "identicle", tho. :lol:
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Back to the message.
Onasander wrote:I don't remember anything being said one way or the other deciding if all the Duncans came from the original or Hayt. Any swordsman is naturally going to have some Mentat capacity- the two artforms are not mutually exclusive, but interdependent. Anyone who studied a martial art would know what I am talking about..... strategy, tactics, situational awareness, and philosophy are a heavy portion of it. This being said, the one doesn't make you the other.
Most people who have studied a martial art are pricks. What an absolutely ridiculous statement that "Any swordsman is naturally going to have some Mentat capacity". Have you any understanding of what a Mentat is?
Onasander wrote:I will however go out on a limb though- into Jungian psychology...
And I'm out. :roll:

SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Nekhrun wrote:
Onasander wrote:I will however go out on a limb though- into Jungian psychology...
And I'm out. :roll:
Jungian psychology is quite interesting actually; I've read a little and sometimes you do feel a little like you're ( :P ) reading Frank.

It's just that this guy makes it look bad...
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

SadisticCynic wrote:It's just that this guy makes it look bad...
:wink:

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Nekhrun wrote:Any swordsman ...
I've wondered if our new friend is a sword master ... if you follow my drift.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

TheDukester wrote:
Have been wondering the same thing myself.

Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Nekhrun wrote:
TheDukester wrote:
Have been wondering the same thing myself.
:think: :shifty: :shhh:

:lol: (Yes, I think I follow you.)
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I think Omph or Freak would have picked up on that from the IP address by now.

Yeah, the spelling- and grammar-challenged aspects are similar, and the stupidity, but that's about it.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:Yeah, the spelling- and grammar-challenged aspects are similar, and the stupidity, but that's about it.
As far as I'm concerned all of those qualities might as well be shared by the same person because I feel the same way about them. :angry-screaming:

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

It ain't that guy. He had an alter ego her (I think it was "Kevin J. Anderson" or something like that). I sent it a "fuck you, ass stain" PM a few weeks ago just to see what would happen. If he were able to get here again, he would have been unable to resist responding to that.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Well, who would be able to resist that? :lol: