Descriptions of Dune

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

trang

Descriptions of Dune

Post by trang »

I'm on the verge of finishing COD reread, and got to thinking (probably a bad Idea), short of any descriptions in the DE (which I have to investigate) is there any of the websites that have a compendium of sorts for descriptions of characters, planets, animals, etc lifted from the pages?

The later part of COD, I didn't remember the multiple times that FH described the worms.

Grey skinned, mouths of orange white, flame inside, the tail end furnace, etc.

The detail of Sabiha's looks:
"she was nubile....obviously"
"a creature out of Humankind's Terranic past: Dark Hair, pale skin , deep sockets which gave her blue-in -blue eyes a greenish cast."

(being old school fremen, doesn't this throw a light on the possibility that they all arnt leather-skinned tanned-shriveled looking?)

"she possessed a small nose and a wide mouth, above a sharp chin"
Last edited by trang on 28 Feb 2010 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

SandRider
Watermaster

Re: Descriptions of Dune

Post by SandRider »

could be a project for this board - new forum, one topic per character, everybody kick in as they re-read -
but we'd just end up muddying up the floor with off-topic bullshit and cross-topic conversations ....

say, Chigger, any idea why that Toyota guy hasn't slit his own belly open yet ?
is the pride and honor thing dead in Nippon ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

SandRider wrote:...but we'd just end up muddying up the floor with off-topic bullshit and cross-topic conversations ....
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

Doesn't BH have a concordance that has all of the important descriptions of everything major from Frank's works that KJA used to keep all the important things from the Duniverse straigh,t like the color of lasgun arcs and the planets that important characters were born on? I'm sure if we'd just ask politely he and the rest of the HLP would make that information available to the public.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Apjak wrote:Doesn't BH have a concordance that has all of the important descriptions of everything major from Frank's works that KJA used to keep all the important things from the Duniverse straigh,t like the color of lasgun arcs and the planets that important characters were born on? I'm sure if we'd just ask politely he and the rest of the HLP would make that information available to the public.
*snort!*

Nice one. To steal a term from HBJ, I'm beginning to believe the fabled "concordance" might be more HLP myth-building. It's the sort of thing that's handy to have around when anyone brings up the DE: "Oh, the DE is unofficial ... plus, we have this bitchin' concordance that whatshisname did!"
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

SandRider wrote:say, Chigger, any idea why that Toyota guy hasn't slit his own belly open yet ?
is the pride and honor thing dead in Nippon ?
Yep, it's as dead here as it is back there. ;)
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

that's our fault, huh ?

them little Nips ain't had much fight in 'em since we kicked Tojo's ass ...

that's sad ... when did all that weird sexual bullshit start ?
and the cartoons ?
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
lotek

Post by lotek »

Apjak wrote:Doesn't BH have a concordance that has all of the important descriptions of everything major from Frank's works that KJA used to keep all the important things from the Duniverse straigh,t like the color of lasgun arcs and the planets that important characters were born on? I'm sure if we'd just ask politely he and the rest of the HLP would make that information available to the public.

no they won't, for two reasons:

- there is no more concordance than there is an outline
- even if there was such a thing the Hack would not release a tool that would show anyone who can speak can do what he does

bonus reason: the fact they claim to have done it with Brian is a give away it doesn't exist
Spice is the worm's gonads.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I like the idea of creating threads like this.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

You guys want a topic where you can enter data on setting and character as you reread the books?

What should I call it? Want any subforums, or will you just create a thread for each character/place?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

8 suppose that sarcasm doesn't scan well on a message board.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
A Thing of Eternity

I would do 1 thread per subject rather than subforums. Those get messy, and this place already has a pile of forums.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

^^ yeah that.

or -

new forum - "OH Encyclopaedia" - each thread could be a topic/description/entry

only one rule - no Keith allowed at all ....

no mention of anything Keith-Dune related ....

i.e. - the entry for the Butlerian Jihad should just state what Frank said about it,
and not get into how Keith fucked the idea up .... &etc.
ImageImage

A Thing of Eternity

Seconded, I like where this is headed.

I think we should make an attempt to stay on topic, but encourage any discussion that the new threads stir up, including arguments about how to interpret certain things FH wrote. This could be a really nice way to get back to discussing the books we love rather than the ones we hate.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

treat it like Freak's Reading Groups - no bullshit allowed

maybe attach the new section to it ....

:beat dead horse: , but, this board still needs a re-ordering/merging of primary forums ....

I suggest :

1) Frank's Dune
2) Other scifi Bullshit
3) Other Pop Culture/Entertainment Bullshit
4) POLITICS!
5) I Fucking Hate Kevin J. Anderson
6) I Fucking Hate Kevin J. Anderson's Books
7) Why Keith's Dune Books are Bullshit
8_) Examples of how Fucking Stupid Kevin J. Anderson is
9) Random Insulting & Mocking of Kevin J. Anderson
10) Personal Bullshit & Chatting (w/ Pics!)
11) Kevin J. Anderson is an Asshat Pickle-fucker
12) How's the Weather where You Live ?
13) LOLcats/Caturday
ImageImage

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Sorry if this is not exactly on topic, but I thought it would not be appropriate to start an entirely new topic to clarify this minor issue. Basically, there's this passage in Dune:
"I've taken over a council room topside here. We'll hold staff there. I want to arrange a new planetary dispersal order with armored squads going out first."
From what I could gather by googling, a modern-day armored squad consists of an armored vehicle (tank) and a complement of infantrymen. Since there were no tanks in the Dune universe, am I right to assume that Leto was talking about heavily armored foot soldiers? Or maybe armored airborne troop carriers (like the ones the Sardaukar used) loaded with combat infantry?
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

MrFlibble wrote:Sorry if this is not exactly on topic, but I thought it would not be appropriate to start an entirely new topic to clarify this minor issue. Basically, there's this passage in Dune:
"I've taken over a council room topside here. We'll hold staff there. I want to arrange a new planetary dispersal order with armored squads going out first."
From what I could gather by googling, a modern-day armored squad consists of an armored vehicle (tank) and a complement of infantrymen. Since there were no tanks in the Dune universe, am I right to assume that Leto was talking about heavily armored foot soldiers? Or maybe armored airborne troop carriers (like the ones the Sardaukar used) loaded with combat infantry?
Armoured groundcars?

Vehicles do exist, and there are advantages to being able to quickly deploy soldiers where you need them.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -