Do forgive my ignorance

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Not_Your_Friend

Do forgive my ignorance

Post by Not_Your_Friend »

For what exactly, does "HLP" stand? I'm imagining it's the preeq analogue to OH?
A Thing of Eternity

Re: Do forgive my ignorance

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I can't remember exactly what it stands for, but no - it's the Herbert Legacy _____, and it is the people who essentially own the rights to FH's work. We count KJA as a member, but have no proof positive that he's actually been taken in as a partner (it's likely though).
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I thought it was Herbert Limited Partnership.. or something legal sounding like that.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Not_Your_Friend

Post by Not_Your_Friend »

Gotcha.
A Thing of Eternity

Mandy wrote:I thought it was Herbert Limited Partnership.. or something legal sounding like that.
Yeah, that sounds more correct.
A Thing of Eternity

Not_Your_Friend wrote:Gotcha.
I had to ask when I first joined too.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Herbert Limited Partnership

Now known as Herber Properties LLC

http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/Herbert_Properties_LLC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Keith's not a legal partner - just the living Herbert Parasites & some random Merritts ...

I think the legal stuff is in the "For the Record" thread ...

{edit}
oh yeah, and the Second (trophy) Wife ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Isn't Bev the second wife and Trisha(??) the third bangitwhileyoucan wife?
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Members

Brian Herbert - Frank's son by Beverly Herbert, acts as managing general partner.
Penny Merritt - Frank's daughter by his first wife (Flora Parkinson)
Ron Merritt - Penny's husband.
David Merritt
Byron Merritt - Penny's son, administrator on the official forum.
Robert Merritt
Julie Herbert - Brian's daughter.
Kim Herbert - Brian's daughter.
Margaux Herbert - Brian's daughter.
Theresa Shackleford - Frank's third wife.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

I remember that wiki article - I cobbled it together from the Acknowledgements in Sandworms or something iirc. If anyone knows better, it might need a tinker.

I assume David and Robert are also sons of Penny?
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
13athroom

Post by 13athroom »

SandRider wrote:Keith's not a legal partner - just the living Herbert Parasites & some random Merritts ...
and with that, i bow out of this forum completely. it used to be a fun time hanging with some of you folks, but this douchebaggery has become far too much for someone like myself to tolerate.

SandRider, your fanboy (you hate being called that, dont you?) prattling on about someone elses family is the be ashamed of (the same goes for most of the rest of you too...). Its one thing to dissect someones bad writing, and even to make accusations of greedy capitalization, but your comments based on familial relations are blows below the belt.

Ive been around since arrakeen, and am saddened to go, but people like you strip away some of the joy someone like myself takes out of being part a high-brow sci-fi forum. this garbage is equal to all the GEORGE LUCAS RAPED MY CHILDHOOD crap you read on other websites. If you could honestly do any better, why havent you?

I wish that i could just tell you to STFU and be done with it, but thats never gonna happen... so im just gonna stop coming here. Im sick of feeling your shame for you.

freak, please delete my account. id hate to log back in here someday and have to eat crow for coming back. thanks, and goodbye.
A Thing of Eternity

Bye 13athroom.

The level of random (and frankly bizarre) hatred used to get under my skin too, but eventually I got used to it and just accepted that while I'm merely enraged, some people appear to have suffered enough emotional damage seeing a beloved work of art shat on that they have to cope by lashing out. It's pretty understandable considering the stinkyness of said shit.

Personally I leave the relatives out of it, but that's just my M.O., I don't expect it from everyone else.
trang

Post by trang »

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=665&p=18766&hilit= ... hip#p18766" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Link to post for HLP and their trademark rights.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Bout time we had a decent hissy fit on here. It's been far too civilised for ages. :lol:
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
A Thing of Eternity

chanilover wrote:Bout time we had a decent hissy fit on here. It's been far too civilised for ages. :lol:
Too true :lol: Without GP around getting surly it's been a bit dull.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Let's not forget where we do drawl the lines. Because it's not open season on everyone.

Brian Herbert as the main heir should be the primary moving (well, doddering) target, but he wisely stays (or is kept) out of the public eye. Those "philosophical reservations" about modern technology and all that blah blah. But he is the one ultimately responsible for the McDune shit.

Kevin J. Anderson is the unofficial official spokesman for the HLP, and he's a hack and an ass, enough said? He's probably the one responsible for most of the bad ideas and writing in the McDune books. (His wife Rebecca exercises no control over him and as his primary proofreader and editor she also bears responsibility for the books. Their braintrust son attacked on Amazon, so that's all I need to include him as collateral damagee.)

The members of the HLP as a group deserve a full measure of blame for apparently letting Brian do and write whatever he (=KJA, in reality) wants in these so-called "Dune" books. We know from KJA's blahg posts that the HLP exercises ABSOLUTELY NO EDITORIAL CONTROL before the fact over what gets published as "extensions" to the literary legacy of Frank Herbert, the legacy they supposedly want to protect (why else the bulldog lawyers?) and promote. (Hell, BRIAN HERBERT doesn't even exercise final editorial control, if what KJA posts about being the one to actually send the manuscripts off to the publisher is true.)

As individuals, Byron Merritt is the yes-man admin of DumbNovels; for a grandson of Frank Herbert's, he seems to be pretty dim on some details of the Dune books. He toes the official line and stands behind the shit that's being added to Dune by KJA. Fuck 'im.

And Kim Herbert (Brian's daughter) is, I believe, the acting secretary of the HLP and a part-time admin on DN and co-admin(?) on the official Dune pages on MySpace and Facebook. She's seems to be a nice enough person who stays out of the fray. Other than being a member of the HLP and therefore as responsible as any other member for what they let happen as a group, she doesn't deserve any special attention or ire.

And that pretty much holds for the other members as well: as individuals they avoid direct involvement in the fight, so they're of no interest.

But make no mistake: for whatever reason, these people are sitting back and repeating the benefits of the rape of Dune. The details of their personal lives are of no concern, but they are by no means blameless in this thing.

(Btw, I've always figured that Brian's wife Janet is the other, eleventh member of the HLP.)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
A Thing of Eternity

Fair nuff. :)
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

13athroom wrote:
SandRider wrote:Keith's not a legal partner - just the living Herbert Parasites & some random Merritts ...
and with that, i bow out of this forum completely. it used to be a fun time hanging with some of you folks, but this douchebaggery has become far too much for someone like myself to tolerate.

SandRider, your fanboy (you hate being called that, dont you?) prattling on about someone elses family is the be ashamed of (the same goes for most of the rest of you too...). Its one thing to dissect someones bad writing, and even to make accusations of greedy capitalization, but your comments based on familial relations are blows below the belt.

Ive been around since arrakeen, and am saddened to go, but people like you strip away some of the joy someone like myself takes out of being part a high-brow sci-fi forum. this garbage is equal to all the GEORGE LUCAS RAPED MY CHILDHOOD crap you read on other websites. If you could honestly do any better, why havent you?

I wish that i could just tell you to STFU and be done with it, but thats never gonna happen... so im just gonna stop coming here. Im sick of feeling your shame for you.

freak, please delete my account. id hate to log back in here someday and have to eat crow for coming back. thanks, and goodbye.
don't let the waterseal hit you in the ass on the way out ...

I'd wager chances are better than 87% you'll lurk around this thread, so I got a few things to say ...

and if you don't ever come, everybody else with the same kind of ideas you've developed can take a clue ...

Number One: the day I ever feel any "shame" for something I've posted on a fucking internet forum,
I'll put the shotgun barrel in my mouth. you can be sick of whatever you want to, if you've gotten
your panties up your crack over my comments, well, go fuck yourself.

Number Two: go fuck yourself.

Number Three: I'll say what I damn well please about anybody I damn well want to. Everyone in the
HLP are complicit in this whole mess, if they pull a check from the new books. They are pimps, and
Frank's name is now the whore.

Number Four: George Lucas plays in his own shit.

Number Five: the day some little punk-ass kid can take the high moral ground over me is the day
the shotgun goes in my mouth. go fuck yourself.

Number Six: go fuck yourself.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
lotek

Post by lotek »

13athroom wrote:

Actually this is pretty tame and is really directed at the hack, who is the one that has been deservedly the main target of our comment.
This made me come up with a new nickname for the hack and bobo; Frankentwitstein and Igor(quite fitting considering the monster they have created from desecrating Frank's work/tomb.
If you could honestly do any better, why havent you?
Preeq argument that...

Remember the Spanish film makers that honestlu did better(so says anyone who's seen it)and what did the HLP do about it?

Did they come down and pat them on the head "Well done hombres, Frank would be proud and we welcome you"?

No they did a fuckin' Matt Groenig and send down the lawyers to erase all traces of what could actually show the world that everyting Victor and Igor did was absolute and utter shite...

If you come back here to read this, I'm sorry you would feel that way but this:
Im sick of feeling your shame for you.
is a bit too much for me, I don't feel any shame and I certainly don't need someone doing it for me, what are you Jesus or something?
Do you want to die for our sins?

No??

didn't think so :)

PS:
I wish that i could just tell you to STFU and be done with it, but thats never gonna happen...
1) you just did so you could
2) you've done half the job here, so why not stick around and elaborate?

People here have always been open to discussion, but frontal assault and taking that moral stance is not going to work isn't it?

Anyway this is the interwebz none of this is real!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

...the name is EYE-gor.

~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Let's not forget, I made this forum so people would have a place to not only discuss FH's Dune, but to vent their frustrations with Frankenhack and Igor without being sensored.

I'm dissapointed one of us would say, "If you think you could do better, why don't you?"

We may as well respod with, "If you don't like it, don't read it."

:|
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Freakzilla wrote:...the name is EYE-gor.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xos2MnVx ... re=related[/youtube]
Spice is the worm's gonads.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

lotek wrote:
13athroom wrote:
Im sick of feeling your shame for you.
is a bit too much for me, I don't feel any shame and I certainly don't need someone doing it for me, what are you Jesus or something?
Do you want to die for our sins?
HAHAHA!!! Best line ever!

You're all acting as recruiting sergeants for a more polite, civilsed forum for Dune discussion - yes, you've guessed it, C-H TABRRR. Ole Vinegar Tits could end up with five posts a month at this rate!
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

SandRider wrote: Number Three: I'll say what I damn well please about anybody I damn well want to. Everyone in the
HLP are complicit in this whole mess, if they pull a check from the new books. They are pimps, and
Frank's name is now the whore.
this is how I see it aswell. The guy driving the car during a bank robbery is as guilty as the others.

Ofcourse I can not say that any of the family is against KJA's raping the story, but if they are they are sure in hell biting their tongue. I guess the money is just too good to refuse, they could as well piss on Franks grave.
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants