Do forgive my ignorance

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

DuneFishUK

Re: Do forgive my ignorance

Post by DuneFishUK »

SandChigger wrote:And that pretty much holds for the other members as well: as individuals they avoid direct involvement in the fight, so they're of no interest.

(Btw, I've always figured that Brian's wife Janet is the other, eleventh member of the HLP.)
Sound post sir.

Jan is notable by her absence... but I never saw her name anywhere. :?
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

chanilover wrote:
lotek wrote:
13athroom wrote:
Im sick of feeling your shame for you.
is a bit too much for me, I don't feel any shame and I certainly don't need someone doing it for me, what are you Jesus or something?
Do you want to die for our sins?
HAHAHA!!! Best line ever!

You're all acting as recruiting sergeants for a more polite, civilsed forum for Dune discussion - yes, you've guessed it, C-H TABRRR. Ole Vinegar Tits could end up with five posts a month at this rate!
That's what, a 500% increase in activity? :clap:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

now I will apologize for intentionally breaking the "no personal attacks (on members)" rule here
with the repeated suggestion that 13athroom go fuck himself, but I was a little mad, and impulse
control is one of my long-term therapy goals (I'm much better now); now that he's gone,
tho, may I indulge the board to comment that his username was about the worst I've ever run across?
thank you.

what you get with me on the net is what you get with me in real life; some quality entertainment,
an occasional profound opinion, the benefit of years of wide and varied experiences, and frequent
antisocial behavior. you pays your money, you takes your chances ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

13athroom wrote:and with that, i bow out of this forum completely.
See ya.

But, since we all know that "I'm leaving!" is really internet-speak for "I'll be lurking!" I'll take a moment to add that I think you're really off-base here. This forum, with some very rare exceptions, does a remarkably good job of understanding who is and isn't a fair target. Chiggie's post sums it up pretty well: there's obvious targets such as Anderhack and The Other Guy, there's some lesser figures that are still fair game (Merritt), and almost everyone else is off-limits. They aren't part of the fray. As a group, yes, the HLP is worthy of scorn; as individuals, they shouldn't be targeted. Hell, without a cheat-sheet, most of us couldn't even name who is actually part of the group.

Now, with that said, let me repeat: see ya. Feel free to take your drama and guilt-trips somewhere else.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Freakzilla wrote:
chanilover wrote:
lotek wrote:
13athroom wrote:
Im sick of feeling your shame for you.
is a bit too much for me, I don't feel any shame and I certainly don't need someone doing it for me, what are you Jesus or something?
Do you want to die for our sins?
HAHAHA!!! Best line ever!

You're all acting as recruiting sergeants for a more polite, civilsed forum for Dune discussion - yes, you've guessed it, C-H TABRRR. Ole Vinegar Tits could end up with five posts a month at this rate!
That's what, a 500% increase in activity? :clap:
LOL! So dead. Looks like Vinegar Tits's muff isn't the only place covered in cobwebs over there.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Leto Atreides II

Post by Leto Atreides II »

nampigai wrote: Ofcourse I can not say that any of the family is against KJA's raping the story, but if they are they are sure in hell biting their tongue. I guess the money is just too good to refuse, they could as well piss on Franks grave.
Does anyone have the figures on how the revenues for the sequels/prequels measure up to those of the original series? I'm curious as to how well these books have actually fared. I did note a number of these sequels/prequels on the shelf last time I was perusing a Coles book store, so I know they haven't flopped entirely.
Only fools prefer the past!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Leto Atreides II wrote:
nampigai wrote: Ofcourse I can not say that any of the family is against KJA's raping the story, but if they are they are sure in hell biting their tongue. I guess the money is just too good to refuse, they could as well piss on Franks grave.
Does anyone have the figures on how the revenues for the sequels/prequels measure up to those of the original series? I'm curious as to how well these books have actually fared. I did note a number of these sequels/prequels on the shelf last time I was perusing a Coles book store, so I know they haven't flopped entirely.
They're doing decent numbers I think, I see more of the new than the old on the bookshelves at most stores, which doesn't necessarily mean they're selling, but they are being stocked.

Hard to compare numbers between new and old books, total $ doesn't seem fair to the new ones, $ in first year probably wouldn't look as good for the original because every new book got to ride on the publicity of previous books.

Hard to say. I guess the only real measuring stick might be what's sold $ wise in the last 10 years for old verses new, averaged per book (otherwise they're 11 or 12 or whatever books might beat the original 6 for total qnty, but still be lower per book).

What I'd like to see is sales records from the 10 years before any of the new books were written vs the first 10 years with the originals. See if the new books boosted sales of the originals or cut them down.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

IIRC - was the advance on the House books $3 Million?

They're definitely money spinners - all released in Hardback and all NYT bestsellers - albeit to differencing (read: diminishing) degrees.

But they are boosted by being an annual thing - every year you see the NEW DUNE BOOK. It would be interesting to see how well they sell past their release date - reprints and such.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Leto Atreides II wrote:
Doesn't really answer your question, but here's something I put together a while ago.

http://tau.solahpmo.com/viewtopic.php?f ... p+business" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

Freakzilla wrote:Let's not forget, I made this forum so people would have a place to not only discuss FH's Dune, but to vent their frustrations with Frankenhack and Igor without being sensored.

I'm dissapointed one of us would say, "If you think you could do better, why don't you?"

We may as well respod with, "If you don't like it, don't read it."

:|
That's exactly the thought I had- that this sounds like one of the preeq arguments listed in the topic with the same name.

And the SR's response was just classic.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

13athroom wrote:
SandRider wrote:Keith's not a legal partner - just the living Herbert Parasites & some random Merritts ...
and with that, i bow out of this forum completely. it used to be a fun time hanging with some of you folks, but this douchebaggery has become far too much for someone like myself to tolerate. Seriously? That's the straw that broke the camel's back? Do you even read the other threads? I mean, I start to feel guilty when we attack Jabbeca, but I play my own part.

SandRider, your fanboy (you hate being called that, dont you?) prattling on about someone elses family is the be ashamed of (the same goes for most of the rest of you too...). Its one thing to dissect someones bad writing, and even to make accusations of greedy capitalization, but your comments based on familial relations are blows below the belt. Me thinks calling Sandrider a 'fanboy' is below the belt. No wait, its just plain inaccurate.

Ive been around since arrakeen, and am saddened to go, but people like you strip away some of the joy someone like myself takes out of being part a high-brow sci-fi forum. this garbage is equal to all the GEORGE LUCAS RAPED MY CHILDHOOD crap you read on other websites. If you could honestly do any better, why haven't you? Is this about SC's 'low-brow' 'douchbag' 'fanboy' rants on KJA's disinterest in the Arabic roots of the Fremen Language? Or did you miss those?

I wish that i could just tell you to STFU and be done with it, but thats never gonna happen... so im just gonna stop coming here. Im sick of feeling your shame for you. *cough "douchebaggery" cough*

freak, please delete my account. id hate to log back in here someday and have to eat crow for coming back. thanks, and goodbye. Might want to keep this quote on file at lease lest Jacurutu be accused of deleting posts again...
In Conclusion:

I really don't understand why this is what set you off. Sure, we get pretty fucking dirty in our dispute with Hackerjack's fumbling molestation of Dune. Yet "Keith's not a legal partner - just the living Herbert Parasites & some random Merritts ..." went too far? Seriously? WTF I'm sorry, that's kinda juvenile, but to be fair, you're using the name 13athroom. :roll:
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Yeah taht was tame compared to some of the other things I've read else where.

:crazy:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

13athroom, sorry to see you go, but I think you're being hasty. There's a lot of good stuff here, even if we do get nasty at times.

For every post that makes a crack about Rebecca's weight, or insults one of the ancillary Herbert/Merrits, there are about 20 posts that teach me something new about the original Dune series, or about Frank, or that calls KJA on his bullshit. I'll take that signal to noise any day - particularly for an internet forum.

Edited to add: and dammit, some of those personal attacks are funny. :)

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Yeah, days later, I'm still a bit mystified by this holier-than-thou departure.

The only thing that makes me cringe here are the attacks on Becky's physique (just to be clear, I'll attack her "writing" any day of the week, and she's also fair game for being TheKJA's main enabler) — my personal take is that those are out-of-bounds. But it's not really my call to make.

Everything else, though? In bounds and fair play. Through their actions and attitudes, Keith, Becky, and Merritt have proven, time after time, to be nothing less than deserving of harsh criticism.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Yeah, I definitely consider KJA's online assholery to be well *within* the bounds. Granted, it's not always Dune related, and it's not always about his writing. But dude, seriously.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
A Little Galach

Post by A Little Galach »

Personal attacks on the various kin doesn't strike me as a big deal. They obviously don't seem to care about their kin's legacy, so why would they care about people on the internet's opinions?

They're probably happy to get a check once in a while from the book sales. I don't know a lot about FH's personal life, but with 3 wives and a complicated family tree it's possible that parts of his family wasn't real close to him and don't mind seeing someone poop on his life's work as long as they get free money for it.

And that was a pretty weak melt, if you're going to embarrass yourself please do it with some gusto.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

LOL. Life is short. Do everything with gusto, people. :D