Dune and Star Wars

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

TheDukester

Re: Dune and Star Wars

Post by TheDukester »

My favorite Jabba is the early Marvel Comics version. Marvel got the okay to write new Star Wars adventures right after the first movie and they really did some neat, wonderful stuff (along with having a few clunkers, too). With no art direction to speak of, they imagined Jabba as some sort of bipedal, furry, green crime lord:

Total awesomesauce.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:
TheDukester wrote:**I don't do "Episode IV" or "A New Hope" or any of that crap. Star Wars is Star Wars.
I don't recognize the title "Led Zeppelin IV", either. It was untitled. :P
Zoso.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
TheDukester wrote:**I don't do "Episode IV" or "A New Hope" or any of that crap. Star Wars is Star Wars.
Zoso.
There was no writing on the cover and the "runes" on the liner and disc were symbols for the band members. "ZoSo" being Jimmy Page.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Zoso.
There was no writing on the cover and the "runes" on the liner and disc were symbols for the band members. "ZoSo" being Jimmy Page.
Freakzilla wrote:Blah, blah, blah, "Zoso," blah, blah.
Hey, glad you agree, buddy! :lol:

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Star Wars is pure low-grade horseshit,
and should not be mentioned in comparison with Dune,
unless you are talking about how bad Keith fucked up the "franchise" (if you will)
by "Star-Warsing" it, everyone's a Jedi, &etc.

just to be clear - Star Wars is low-grade horseshit;
acceptable (to some degree) for small children & retards,
but not to be taken seriously on any artistic level whatsoever ....

the 77 Star Wars derailed the direction Hollywood studios were heading,
(Drugstore Cowboy, Taxi Driver, The Godfather, Klute, &etc) and made
everyone out there money-grubbing blockbuster whores ...

Star Wars sucks Cartman's balls ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

SandRider wrote:Star Wars is pure low-grade horseshit,
and should not be mentioned in comparison with Dune,
unless you are talking about how bad Keith fucked up the "franchise" (if you will)
by "Star-Warsing" it, everyone's a Jedi, &etc.

just to be clear - Star Wars is low-grade horseshit;
acceptable (to some degree) for small children & retards,
but not to be taken seriously on any artistic level whatsoever ....

the 77 Star Wars derailed the direction Hollywood studios were heading,
(Drugstore Cowboy, Taxi Driver, The Godfather, Klute, &etc) and made
everyone out there money-grubbing blockbuster whores ...

Star Wars sucks Cartman's balls ....
Actually, we must blame Jaws for this. When the head of Universal heard about how well word of mouth was he ordered the number screens it was to show on halved. When his lackey's howled, he told them we already have the audience! Jaws started the summer blockbuster phenomenon that has been the driving force behind the movies we see today. Not to mention that marketing shows that the target audience are males 15-25. Those dumb asses are why we get shit like The Clash of the Titans and shitty horror remakes.

Rob
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Actually, the real culprit is Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. It turned its back on the fine tradition of the gritty, sunburnt western film, and started the trend of superficial, feel good buddy movies going for the cheap laugh. After BCstSD, movie studios realized that all you needed was a few funny lines, a couple of name actors, a dash of romance and gunfire, and the money would just roll in.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Hunchback Jack wrote:movie studios realized that all you needed was a few funny lines, a couple of name actors, a dash of romance and gunfire, and the money would just roll in.
You mean like Red River, Casablanca, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, North by Northwest, and Stagecoach? :wink: (Also, Robert Redford wasn't really a name actor at the time.)
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Don't event *talk* to me about Casablanca! That piece of shit movie was what *really* started the eroding of quality films into mass-appeal money-grubbing lowest-common-denominator *trash*.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I was gonna throw "Jaws" in there, too,
but I thought it would muddy the Lucas-Hatin' Water ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Hunchback Jack wrote:Don't event *talk* to me about Casablanca! That piece of shit movie was what *really* started the eroding of quality films into mass-appeal money-grubbing lowest-common-denominator *trash*.
That's not a list of my favorite movies, that's just a list of Hollywood movies before Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid that have "a few laughs, a couple of name actors, and a dash of romance and gunfire." I agree that Jaws and Star Wars transformed the film industry, bringing in the "blockbuster" and a new kind of merchandising, etc. But Hollywood has always been about "a few laughs, a couple of name actors, and a dash of romance and gunfire." Personally, I blame "The Great Train Robbery."
lotek

Post by lotek »

fuck it; I blame Keith!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

lotek wrote:fuck it; I blame Keith!
But anyway, yeah, Kevin J. Anderson SUCKS.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Amazing, isn't it? Everything that's bad in the world always eventually circles back to TheKJA:

Oil spill? TheKJA

Recession? TheKJA

Celebrity Apprentice? TheKJA
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

TheDukester wrote:Amazing, isn't it? Everything that's bad in the world always eventually circles back to TheKJA:

Oil spill? TheKJA
I fucking knew it.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Well, I wasn't really being serious. I was trying, in a not-very-successfully-humorous way, to say that in each decade or generation there was probably a movie that people at the time thought was the death of great cinema.

So much for my sense of humor. :)

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Hunchback Jack wrote:Well, I wasn't really being serious.
Oh. Movies are going to give me stomach ulcers one day and I'll have to contact Frank Walden, Attorney at law of Norman, Oklahoma and Owner and Administrator of Blogs, Esquire.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

merkin muffley wrote:
Hunchback Jack wrote:Well, I wasn't really being serious.
Oh. Movies are going to give me stomach ulcers one day and I'll have to contact Frank Walden, Attorney at law of Norman, Oklahoma and Owner and Administrator of Blogs, Esquire.
ZOMG You too?
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

I read this book on how Star Wars was developed: http://www.amazon.com/The-Secret-Histor ... 0978465237" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As others have mentioned, it seems that Kurosawa's "Hidden Fortress" was the main story plundered to make Star Wars, with Flash Gorden, pulp serials and other sci-fi space-cowboy material providing the style. I don't believe Dune was much of an influence on Lucas to speak of, other than occasional minor things like moisture farming. I also don't really believe any of the stuff claimed about Lucas studying Campbell or any study of mythology. I don't think Lucas studied much of anything in the making of Star Wars.

The original scene breakdown for Star Wars was a scene-for-scene copy of Hidden Fortress. Scene for scene. R2 and 3PO were copied off the two protagonists of that film, the other characters (Obi-Wan, Leia, Luke, etc) copied one for one from the characters in the Kurosawa. If Lucas had proceeded with that film he would have been sued for everything and been ruined. Luckily he was saved by a cadre of famous people he knew who helped him to change and develop his script, including Francis Ford Coppola. After all the editions, rounds of his friends giving him 'feedback' (see: "Dude, you can't publish that. Here are some ideas. Change it."), and working on it, a draft resembling the movie was finally made. None of the iterations resembled Dune or really borrowed anything from it that I could see.

I do actually think that Star Wars is a great film, but it wasn't written by Lucas; it wasn't really written by anyone, it seems like it was basically a group project, the result of a film-making think tank.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Naib

Post by Naib »

georgiedenbro wrote:
I do actually think that Star Wars is a great film, but it wasn't written by Lucas; it wasn't really written by anyone, it seems like it was basically a group project, the result of a film-making think tank.
If only he had accepted some help with the prequels.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

It's sounds like he's pretty much out of the picture for the upcoming sequels. I'm very curious to see what J. J. Abrams does with it.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Personally, I'm terrified. Lawrence Kasdan may be our last hope...
lotek

Post by lotek »

Can it be worse than the phantom menace?
Can anything be?
Spice is the worm's gonads.
MuaB'Beep

Post by MuaB'Beep »

lotek wrote:Can it be worse than the phantom menace?
Can anything be?

I like the scottish ewok and the guy who sings in the opening song smoked something weird.
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Hey I liked Ewoks as a kid! I put that, Caravan of Courage, and The Battle for Endor above the prequels any day...