Language Changes

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: Language Changes

Post by Omphalos »

chanilover wrote:
Omphalos wrote:I do very well with Tagalog. I can always tell what they are talking about, and most of the time what they are saying, even when they switch dialects to Visayan or Illocano or something else. And I got ten years in too.

I could also do the same with Finnish, back in the day. Not sure I could do that today.

But I had a Korean girlfriend in law school. could never make heads of tails of that one. Everything sounds the exact same to me. kudge-a-many-pany-ooooooOOOOOoooooo!!! Assozio! :think:
Can your kids speak Tagalog, Omph? I can speak basic Tagalog, but nowhere near enough to say I could get by in it. My mum only spoke English to us when we were growing up and only taught us a few bits and pieces so I never really got the chance to pick much Tagalog up. I think she wanted to make us more British than the natives! :lol:

I can get along pretty well in French and Spanish.
They know a lot of words, and the boy, who is older, can string a sentence or two together when he wants to. The wife is not so good at speaking to them in Tagalog (unless she's pissed off), but they do get some. I even tell the little one things like "your shoes are baliktad," or even "baliktad ang sapatos mo," when she has her shoes on the wrong feet, for example. Now she uses those words a lot, and others I use frequently too. Its amazing how quickly they pick it up. Im afraid that they will eventually forget it, which is what seems to be the case in most other American born Fil-Ams that I know, but at least it helps them a bit with 1/2 of where they came from.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Language Changes

Post by Freakzilla »

My daughter speaks her own language. It's much like English with M replacing most S's and several letters are simply not pronounced. Like her brother, Spencer, is Memer.

She's in speech class.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman