Sietch-Nevada

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Sietch-Nevada

Post by Freakzilla »

http://matsysdesign.com/2009/06/25/sietch-nevada/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Year: 2009
Exhibition: Out of Water | innovative technologies in arid climates at the University of Toronto

Description: In Frank Herbert’s famous 1965 novel Dune, he describes a planet that has undergone nearly complete desertification. Dune has been called the “first planetary ecology novel” and forecasts a dystopian world without water. The few remaining inhabitants have secluded themselves from their harsh environment in what could be called subterranean oasises. Far from idyllic, these havens, known as sietch, are essentially underground water storage banks. Water is wealth in this alternate reality. It is preciously conserved, rationed with strict authority, and secretly hidden and protected.

Although this science fiction novel sounded alien in 1965, the concept of a water-poor world is quickly becoming a reality, especially in the American Southwest. Lured by cheap land and the promise of endless water via the powerful Colorado River, millions have made this area their home. However, the Colorado River has been desiccated by both heavy agricultural use and global warming to the point that it now ends in an intermittent trickle in Baja California. Towns that once relied on the river for water have increasingly begun to create underground water banks for use in emergency drought conditions. However, as droughts are becoming more frequent and severe, these water banks will become more than simply emergency precautions.

Sietch Nevada projects waterbanking as the fundamental factor in future urban infrastructure in the American Southwest. Sietch Nevada is an urban prototype that makes the storage, use, and collection of water essential to the form and performance of urban life. Inverting the stereotypical Southwest urban patterns of dispersed programs open to the sky, the Sietch is a dense, underground community. A network of storage canals is covered with undulating residential and commercial structures. These canals connect the city with vast aquifers deep underground and provide transportation as well as agricultural irrigation. The caverns brim with dense, urban life: an underground Venice. Cellular in form, these structures constitute a new neighborhood typology that mediates between the subterranean urban network and the surface level activities of water harvesting, energy generation, and urban agriculture and aquaculture. However, the Sietch is also a bunker-like fortress preparing for the inevitable wars over water in the region.
:shock:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Apjak

Re: Sietch-Nevada

Post by Apjak »

This is some design project by somebody in San Francisco. It looks to be of the quality of a college Graphic Design major, but props for the concept.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

looks a little complicated for a time-share.

and I think the zombies could bust thru them bubble sky-lights .....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

("Zombie" is code for rabid preeq, right? :D Or demented man-boy with sharp toys? :lol: )
lotek

Post by lotek »

This goes to prove that genius never goes to waste!

(apparently in a 100 years they will use the mcdunes as a model for a space madhouse, designed to be filled with preeqs and sent into the sun to burn preeqs burn! all right i know it's not really the same but then again there is absolutely nothing from kja that could possibly become a reality in the distant or not future, and what to expect from a 13 year old mind trapped in that fat body of fat and fail)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
trang

Post by trang »

Um... why not devote their time to figuring out that the planet is 76 percent water, and a pipline could be built from the gulf of california and run right back along the path of the colorado to the deprived areas. Desalinization is a valid, workable, usable technology.

If they want to live in caves with windtraps and wait for drips of water, go for it. I think a war between Snowbirds, Trailer Parks, Rockhounds and the locals is gonna occur before water shortage wars does.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Frybread

Underground sietch

Post by Frybread »

http://www.livescience.com/environment/ ... evada.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is an interesting article using Frank Herbert's "Dune" as a reference.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Underground sietch

Post by Freakzilla »

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1797&p=64979&hilit ... ADA#p64979" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

Sorry, Freak. I didn't know this had already been posted. Thanks.
lotek

Post by lotek »

:mrgreen:
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:("Zombie" is code for rabid preeq, right? :D Or demented man-boy with sharp toys? :lol: )
Let's not sully the word "zombie" in that manner, K? :D

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Leave the dead to rest in pieces, I always say. :)