Dune Wiki

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

SandRider
Watermaster

Re: Dune Wiki

Post by SandRider »

Redstar wrote:Well someone make a new one and appoint mods. Then we'll each adopt an article and go from there.
wasn't this your idea to begin with ?

sounds like "someone" is you ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

You beat me to it.

It's a wiki, guys — no need to form 27 committees. Excrete or get off the pot.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

SandRider wrote:
Redstar wrote:Well someone make a new one and appoint mods. Then we'll each adopt an article and go from there.
wasn't this your idea to begin with ?

sounds like "someone" is you ...
Actually, it was lotek. I've just been posting in the thread a lot. My idea was for a critique site dedicated to KJA.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

kevinjandersonisahack.org ?
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

shitwriter.com?

(might actually register that... :) )
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

anderjacket.net ??
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

didkjarapeandmurderaclassicliteraryseriesin1997andishestilldoingit.org
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

There's no evidence he actually did... oh.. no wait... there is.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

now that's funny !!
ImageImage

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Actually, no, this is FUNNY.

I was just over seeing if there was anything stirring at FED2K (I forgot to check in there the whole 4 weeks I was home in the States), and I found that someone called Baliset had joined there. Here's one of his two posts thus far:
In thread General Discussion / Duniverse / Re: what happened to salusa secundus?, Baliset wrote:I haven't read the six books yet, just the prequels and Dune Encyclopedia.

Since the prequels and DE give totally different accounts, I believe the six canonical books don't address the matter.

What the prequels say has been mentioned before. DE says that S2 was always a harsh world. The Sardaukar (and the Corrinos who descend from the Sardaukar) descent from there, and it was an ideal place to send prisoners on the planet and convert them to Sardaukar.
Looking through his posts here and over on Dumbass Novels, this point is completely consistent throughout: he hasn't read the originals yet.

Now THAT's funny. :laughing:
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

This type of people that was caring of the Dune Wiki...
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

lotek

Post by lotek »

Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:This type of people that was caring of the Dune Wiki...
scary!
when I first started checking out that wiki I didn't think it was that bad...

and even if i began this thread I would hate to be appointed head of committe or something, I just thought that matter needed to be clarified and went seeking for advice from my fellow OHs :)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I guess I just don't get how someone can be so fired up over the DE and McDune—both of which are DERIVATIVE FAN FICTION—BEFORE actually having read the original books by Frank Herbert.

It's fucking stupid.

(Reminds me in some way, though, of that ass on Amazon who wasn't going to read the rest of the books until The Buttholes Twain finish their books. Or some such stupid shit like that. :roll: )
lotek

Post by lotek »

well we can thank the internetz for allowing us to reach to all the world's retards :mrgreen:
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

See for yourself:

http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/User:MoffRebus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That guy started months ago editing every article on the Dune Wiki. At the time he had not read even DUNE yet...
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I still remember when 'God Emperor' came out, and people wailed on Frank for re-introducing Duncan Idaho, and said, "Herbert is only using the Tleilaxu to re-use characters".
And they thought they had canon tough.
lotek

Post by lotek »

Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:See for yourself:

http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/User:MoffRebus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That guy started months ago editing every article on the Dune Wiki. At the time he had not read even DUNE yet...
It's even worse than that!!
Recently started to read Dune, from the prequels!! I love them. :puke: :puke: :puke:

I joined this wiki but it seems abandoned. However I contribute regularly and real-time. Which means, whenever I read something new, I update the relevant articles!! Right now I just started Dune: House Atreides. I also maintain a timeline

I admit I don't respect much the policies of this wiki. I don't care much about 'canon' and the {{original}} and {{expanded}} tags :puke: :puke: and I find the 'Behind the scenes' sections that state the obvious in every article, annoying... Instead I introduced an 'Appearances' section, as used in other Wikia wikis.

Well, after the admins abandoned this wiki I hope they won't complain... Since I am the only resident here I will do whatever I think best for anyone who comes after me :)

Hoping that somebody reads this :P Re: welcome wagon HI thanks for the welcome wagon..... it it is indeed quiet here and I get to read a lot and stuff .. Talk to you later...
tralala Now we know that guy's a nut
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

That MoffRebus guy has redeemed himself a bit by doing a hell of a lot of DE articles - Thumbs-up for that.

I've re-jigged a few articles, and the Erasmus guy (another preeq) is doing pretty well with the Expanded/Original tags. Even if some the articles are a total mess by the time we've finished (3 lines Original, 3 lines Expanded, 3 lines Original)...

Still need to work out my argument to boot the prequel "no-chamber" out of the No-Chamber article :P.

The core problem is that the wiki's definition of "in-universe" requires things to be presented in chronological, rather than publication, order. If it was the latter it would be easy... :?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Why, what's the definition there of "in-universe"?

I don't see the problem. All in-universe documents are not created equal just because they're in-universe. If the fictional universes were created/"extended" by different people, any in-universe documents are bound only by their respective settings. The quotes of Irulan's writings in the epigraphs in FH's books are from in-universe documents, but that doesn't mean we have to reconcile them with other passages by Irulan quoted only in The Dune Encyclopedia or the new McDune fanfuction.

I haven't looked at the wikia stuff for a while so I don't know how the articles are being written/rewritten, but if it's all being presented in-universe style, that's a serious waste of time. (Like the DE is a serious waste of time for someone looking for a REAL encyclopedia of FH's Dune books.)

Edit: OK, I've just had a quick look around starting from BoffRebliset's user page. Nah, that's a waste of time with no indication of sources of the content. (The category tags and namespace divisions really don't get it the way it's being done now.)

For me, FAIL & LEMONADES, but YMMV. :)
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

"{original}Bronso of Ix was a Historian captured by the Qizarate, {expanded} he is later revealed to be Bronso Vernius"
Is wrong formatting for the Dune Wikia.

"{expanded} Bronso Vernius, aka Bronso of Ix, was born 10,176 {original} became a historian and was captured by the Qizarate"
Is correct.

DE is also separated - but more so. Often on dedicated DE pages.

TBH, I think the 'complete resource' route is probably the way forward... but the mix of muddy and messy articles over there is a bit rubbish to say the least. But some of the articles could be redeemable, as the wiki was practically OH up until just before it died (coincidence? I think not :P)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

The actual Bronso article/page is almost completely crap from WoD:

http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/Bronso" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The sections are separated as to "extended" and "original", like some articles on Wikipedia.

Not acceptable. :)
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

SandChigger wrote:The actual Bronso article/page is almost completely crap from WoD:

http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/Bronso" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The sections are separated as to "extended" and "original", like some articles on Wikipedia.

Not acceptable. :)
Chronological ain;t it. :(

The one concession I won was the article is titled "Bronso" rather than "Bronso Vernius". "Bronso of Ix" was my first choice, but... small victories :P
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

House Vernius? Who the fuck? NO SUCH HOUSE. :snooty:

:lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

SandChigger wrote:House Vernius? Who the fuck? NO SUCH HOUSE. :snooty:

:lol:
Turning IX ruled by a house of landsraad destroyed all the good mysteries about Ixians.

FH saying IX was ruled by "a confederation" tell us much more and instigate us to think beyond such word. As all FH works by the way.

-- The Stolen Journals

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

So did the morons ever explain how the Ixians conveniently stopped being friends with House Atreides just before Dune?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman