Dune Wiki

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Baliset

Re: Dune Wiki

Post by Baliset »

Hi guys. Let me speak in favor of the Dune Wiki idea a bit :)

The wiki seems to have been defunct and many articles are written poorly, regardless of the canon. And yes, the canon tags are used also poorly but it's not something that can't be fixed. The best articles (and "Bronso" that was mentioned above) use the tags in a clean way; as DuneFish said it's as it should be so here is an example. Perhaps you don't like the reference that Paul joined a circus, but this sentence is where it should be, and it's not mentioned in the Dune novel timeframe.

I think that when it comes to FH's works the Dune Wiki sucks but that's simply because many articles were copyedited from Wikipedia with no serious editing effort. Wikipedia articles were written for "Dune characters" and not for personalities with real biographies. It's not something irredeemable.

Furthermore, since it is "Dead" you should not be afraid of edit wars and stuff.

So I would say "go for it"

However I expect that all canons (like "official authorised fanfic") are respected.

I have wasted some time there editing some detailed Butlerian Jihad articles as presented in LoD. I would hate seeing all those paragraphs I wrote, purged or reduced to a small references in a "Behind the scenes/No-canon" section by a fanatical purist who considers it a blasphemy to coexist or even exist.

I believe the two canons can co-exist without meddling with each other. There are a lot LoD articles that can stay there without harming anyone. There is also information on the Dune Encyclopedia which is so favorable here (eg. since you don't like the Butlerian Jihad article see here: http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/Butlerian_Jihad/DE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). There are articles about Dune Encyclopedia and even the video games.
lotek

Post by lotek »

Baliset wrote:Hi guys. Let me speak in favor of the Dune Wiki idea a bit :)

The wiki seems to have been defunct and many articles are written poorly, regardless of the canon. And yes, the canon tags are used also poorly but it's not something that can't be fixed. The best articles (and "Bronso" that was mentioned above) use the tags in a clean way. The two canons can co-exist without meddling with each other. Perhaps you don't like the reference that Paul joined a circus, but this sentence is where it should be, and it's not mentioned in the Dune novel timeframe.

There is also information on the Dune Encyclopedia which is so favorable here.

Furthermore, since it is "Dead" you should not be afraid of edit wars and stuff.

So I would say "go for it"

However I expect that all canons (like "official authorised fanfic") are respected. There are articles about Dune Encyclopedia and even the video games.

I have wasted some time there editing some detailed Butlerian Jihad articles as presented in LoD. I would hate seeing all those paragraphs I wrote, purged or reduced to a few phrases in a "Behind the scenes/No-canon" section by a fanatical purist who considers it a blasphemy to coexist or even exist.
thing is that's what it is, and the word "blasphemy" is well chosen indeed :)
However I expect that all canons (like "official authorised fanfic") are respected
there can only be one ;)

As for all the paraphernalia, I'm gone past my days of compulsive collecting, and I leave all the surrounding stuff to others if they want to compile it.

There is so much to say about True Dune without embarassing ourselves with more work... even with a pragmatic angle it is the best solution.
I wouldn't mind using the Wiki structure and plan, and rewriting what needs to be, but I can't condone the existence of the nudune by putting it alongside with Frank Herbert's...
That's why I joined here really, I mean are we Orthodox or what???

We can make a different website for KJA's crap, but why bother when it can be resumed to to words:
"They"
"Suck"
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I've come to the conclusion that I think we should just make a new wiki, if we are to do one at all. The extent of our work on the current Dune online encyclopedia should be to edit the front page and it's imagery to define it as a nuDune-only wiki, while ours would have the appropriate imagery and text to indicate it's devoted solely to canon and possibly expanded. (Whether this includes and extends to the DE, movies, games, and the various "good" fanfiction out there would be a topic later)

I advocate this direction because we could appoint ourselves admins for full control over the appropriate aspects to maintains the correct direction.
lotek

Post by lotek »

yep definitely full control
contribution is good if it's regulated
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

Redstar wrote:I've come to the conclusion that I think we should just make a new wiki, if we are to do one at all. The extent of our work on the current Dune online encyclopedia should be to edit the front page and it's imagery to define it as a nuDune-only wiki, while ours would have the appropriate imagery and text to indicate it's devoted solely to canon and possibly expanded. (Whether this includes and extends to the DE, movies, games, and the various "good" fanfiction out there would be a topic later)
I think we should include articles on NuDune too - but not let it interfere. Ie. the article on the Butlerian Jihad should be based solely on Franks work, but there is no reason not to have an article on KJAs books - we have so much content on their mistakes it would be a shame not to collect it somewhere :-)

But obviously, all articles not based directly around a given KJA book, the DE or something like "Comparison between various BJ scenarios" should be FH canon only.
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

I agree with Lundse. I would help.

I think that the damage caused by them cannot be childly ignored. We could create articles comparing the the Frank's canon with their version to show how wrong they are.
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Redstar wrote:I advocate this direction because we could appoint ourselves admins for full control over the appropriate aspects to maintains the correct direction.
I agree. That's the best and only way to ensure quality control in a wiki. Or make a regular non-wiki website.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

A wiki-within-a-wiki could be a solution - like they're doing with the DE on this wiki.

The main article is pure FH, then have a "/Nu" or similar sub-page for any "pollutions of interest".. hell, have a "/DE" page as well :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Baliset wrote:However I expect that all canons (like "official authorised fanfic") are respected.
Fuck that.

DuneFishUK wrote:A wiki-within-a-wiki could be a solution - like they're doing with the DE on this wiki.
I think you're referring to "namespaces" on the wiki. A good idear. ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Its obvious these arse wipe Dune Wiki writers have only seen the Lynch movie and maybe read a few prequels. They have Paul Atreides hair color as black. Freak, you need to get an official OH one up there with only material from the original six novels, Eye, and the DE with a non-canon notice. I agree with this thread!
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

So... What are we doing? Editing this one, or making a new one? Do we have to put up a poll to decide anything?
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

editing the existing one will get into a back & forth, I can edit faster'n you
war with the diehard pretards (both of them)

starting another one that includes any of Keith's nonsense at all
will curb the enthusiasm of the diehard OH here.

start a new wiki actually based on Frank Herbert's Dune, with
liberal doses of McNelly & the DE, and completely ignoring Keith's
nonsense (Keith who ? What ?) is WIN.

just my opinion, tho, I'm not gonna lift a finger in the actual work, you understand ...
:dance:
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Baliset

Post by Baliset »

Sandwurm88 wrote:Its obvious these arse wipe Dune Wiki writers...
Thank you
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

you are quite welcome, sir !

:clap:
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
lotek

Post by lotek »

well this thing might even turn out to be good fun too then :)
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Well someone make a new one and appoint mods. Then we'll each adopt an article and go from there.
E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

I went to this site once... what the hell is it's purpose? It's like reading David Lynch's slide-by-slide adaption of the Dune Encyclopedia.

I loved this part, "Dune Wiki users can now use userboxes to express their opinions in a concise and visual way."

So... more smilies, less conversation?
Long Live the Fighters.
lotek

Post by lotek »

E. LeGuille wrote:I went to this site once... what the hell is it's purpose? It's like reading David Lynch's slide-by-slide adaption of the Dune Encyclopedia.

I loved this part, "Dune Wiki users can now use userboxes to express their opinions in a concise and visual way."

So... more smilies, less conversation?
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:whistle:
:cylon101:
:cylon101:
:cat fight:
:Adolf:
:crazy:
:mad: :mad:
:o
:naughty:
:puke: :oops:

Something of that order :think:
E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

Hey, according to your post-o-smilies, the Beast Rabban was originally the Kwisatz Haderach, but he got dumb-dumbed by the whales he killed when a big white one chased him down and bit him in the noggin. So, it makes sense that when he took the pre-BJ no-ship and crashed it onto wallach, he died. They made him into a ghola, and then he died, so then he was just played by a face dancer named David Lynch.

AWESOME. Add it to the wiki!
Long Live the Fighters.
lotek

Post by lotek »

E. LeGuille wrote:Hey, according to your post-o-smilies, the Beast Rabban was originally the Kwisatz Haderach, but he got dumb-dumbed by the whales he killed when a big white one chased him down and bit him in the noggin. So, it makes sense that when he took the pre-BJ no-ship and crashed it onto wallach, he died. They made him into a ghola, and then he died, so then he was just played by a face dancer named David Lynch.

AWESOME. Add it to the wiki!

I think we could start a new chapter in dune, bollocks of dune(and that would go well with the pair of wankers we've all come to love)

where's your avatar?

But yeah cool for wiki with admin rights given from here, has anyone got any wikipedia experience(apart from random quoting of course)?
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

lotek wrote:But yeah cool for wiki with admin rights given from here, has anyone got any wikipedia experience(apart from random quoting of course)?
Article editing, article creation, some Wiki coding, and that's about it. All it really takes, but considering Wiki coding isn't entirely universal (has to be created sometimes), then I might be up for some learning.
lotek

Post by lotek »

I just realized it couldn't be too complicated if preeqs can use it we can do it as well :)
How are we going to spread the work?
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I like Face Dancers. Therefore I take it upon myself to make a page on Face Dancers and edit it.

You like the Bene Gesserit. You create the page and start working.

It's as easy as that, really. If everyone does one thing, then that's one less thing to do. (Obviously editing will change hands, but basically that's how it gets done)
lotek

Post by lotek »

all right that's fair enough
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

And then we all went to bed and put ill-formed dreams to sleep.