Dune Wiki

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

lotek

Dune Wiki

Post by lotek »

I went there to check out some detail about ghola eyes, and was shocked to see that even if there is a difference made between the Hacks and Frank, both are put on the same level of importance.

My contribution to the "Expanded Dune'"(aka the Fart)

http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/Expanded_Dune" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Expanded Dune is a term used on the Dune Wiki to refer to Dune novels and reference materials written by someone other than Frank Herbert.

This includes information from:

* Legends of Dune
* Prelude to Dune
* Hunters of Dune
* Sandworms of Dune
* The Dune Encyclopedia

A lot of people don't consider Anderson and Herbert Jr's books to be canon, mainly because of the lack of consistency with Frank Herbert's epic work.

The Dune 7 outline is yet to be released so the fans can sort out what is from Frank and what was added by the new Dune writers.

Retrieved from "http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/Expanded_Dune"
Category: E
What do you make of that?
Is it something that is worth doing or is it just gonna end up in Edit Wars?
Spice is the worm's gonads.
lotek

Re: Dune Wiki

Post by lotek »

Also the links for Dune
External Links

* Official Dune Novels website
* Wikipedia entry for the Dune novel
* Wikipedia entry for the Dune universe
* The Dune Index
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

This has frustrated me before, but I would expect edit wars and a losing battle, because of the copyright holding HLP. I think it's worth trying though. I've just been too busy most of the time and too lazy with my down time. All I do is read some cast out Dune forum whenever I'm on the internet.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I think I have an account over there, but I consider contributing to it a waste of time because of the way they handle the new shit.
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandChigger wrote:I think I have an account over there, but I consider contributing to it a waste of time because of the way they handle the new shit.
yeah that's what I thought...
useless venture then??

At least it might make some people think, and I deliberately avoided slack so it would have a chance to stay awhile.
Let's see how long that takes for the Hack's Special Forces to find it :)
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

That place is a complete waste of time. I wouldn't put in the effort for a single edit, let alone actually try to be a contributor. If they want to live in a world where fanfic is official, that's their problem.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
lotek

Post by lotek »

I'll leave it at that then, at least I stated my point :)
maybe add a link to here?
lotek

Post by lotek »

all right I just had a quick look around on that site, and the level of the "unanswered questions" has completely convinced me
that it is of no use to try to educate the people going there...
(even if just one or two around here would be fun, even for just their poor spelling)

some quotes:
A fruit begging with e?
Can you use gladiator beasts effects with marco cosmos is on the field?
How to by pass the internet sercurty?
Where can I get pictures or photos of baby buzzards (chicks)?
Is Pirre A Japanese Name?
And my favourite in its simplicity:
Whats the mean?
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

I use to care about that place. I tried to put some order there when it was absolutely abandoned by the owners. However preeks started shown up, changing article only about originals and adding "new books" informations. The articles started loosing all the "personalities"...Unhappily the number of preek was increasing and because of that I gave up the Dune Wiki. For me, the only real information with real value is from Frank`s novels.
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

I signed up there to fix one of my sketches someone had upped an old version of... I had a look around (first time in a while) and that place is well and truly rotted.

I just clicked on the recent edit link to their Bronso article - which "refers to elements from both Original Dune and Expanded Dune." Bollocks it does. It's just 4 lines of vile regurgitated preek shit.

I don't mind so much that expanded Dune is included.. but articles like the Butlerian Jihad one shouldn't exist.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
lotek

Post by lotek »

but if only preeks go there then who cares, no?
It's just a shame to know that someone might stumble on this and think that's what Dune is about...

edit: i just checked on it and i got a ling to this page
http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/Dune:Guidelines" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
with that specific quote
Although the need for NPOV within this wiki should be minimal, there will be times when it will be necessary. For example, over the interpretation of a Dune author's work, or the validity or legitimacy of certain non-canon works.

Please discuss and/or edit any such topics with carefully chosen and non-inflammatory words.
:lol: :lol:
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Dammit... got sucked in and edited that Bronso article. :x

It's a bit better now - added a couple of lines of REAL DUNE and moved it from Bronso Vernius to Bronso of Ix where it belongs :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
lotek

Post by lotek »

well it won't be said you shall fight this pointless battle alone!
soundtrack
lotek

Post by lotek »

jesus I just went through the Bene Gesserit entry...
it's not cavalry we need it's tactical nuclear strike!

http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/Bene_Gesserit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

I think I'll leave that one to someone else...
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I'm pretty sure the site is and has been abandoned for a long time now. Looking under recent changes, you can see that most of the work is done by an Erasmus2, and that that person seems to stick mostly to the prequels. So there shouldn't be much dissent in re-writing most of the work.

I've been to abandoned wikis and basically revamped them from the ground up, so I don't see why the same can't be done here. Just re-write each article, one page at a time, until we're there. Dune has surprisingly little topics compared to other science fiction universes, so it's not totally time-consuming.

But if it's something you really want to do, I'd suggest going down to http://www.wikia.com/wiki/Special:CreateWiki and making an "OH Dune Wiki" to rival the other. It'd just be too much work sorting the encyclopedia into canon and new canon, so there might as well just be two that deal with the separate canons.

(Oh, and I'll help if needed)
lotek

Post by lotek »

hell why not?
quite big a task though!

Thing is the .wikia is in the first hits on google when you search info on Dune, so it's a bit of a pain to know that some preeq info might be mistaken for truth/fact...
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

love that idea.

but, I'll suggest not calling an "OH" Dune anything, just plain old "Dune".

then, just nuke anything that's got Keith's paw prints on it, with prejudice.

arguing "canon" gives him credibility he doesn't deserve.

Let's start ignoring Keith's Doon NAO !!
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

lotek wrote:hell why not?
quite big a task though!

Thing is the .wikia is in the first hits on google when you search info on Dune, so it's a bit of a pain to know that some preeq info might be mistaken for truth/fact...
A Google search turns up several Super Mario wikis, Digimon wikis, and many others. The one that shows up higher on the list is usually the more professional one, with more editing done and more information. Being higher on the list thus contributes to hits, which puts it higher on the list. It's all circular.

We could take over the existing Dune wiki, but in situations like this I prefer just starting from scratch. For some reason starting fresh articles is less disconcerting to me than trudging through the crap that's already there and figuring out whether to just blank it. And if you're blanking it, might as well just start a new wiki and avoid the hassle of looking over what's obviously flawed.

@SandRider: Dune is a general term, so I wouldn't suggest it if we started our own wiki... "Duniverse" probably works better.
lotek

Post by lotek »

I've been through the wiki one, and info wise it's not bad, but it still acknowledges the bucket of spicy doon wings from KJA, so it doesn't meet my expectations.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

There are at least 3 good-as-dead Dune wikis out there.

I dunno, I'm tempted to put a bit of time into this one, some of the articles aren't all bad, they're just all mashed up, old-and-nu. They just need separating - Original Dune at the top, turds at the bottom - simple compromise. I wouldn't mind, as long as they're separate - KJA is his own worst enemy when it comes to writing laughable shitness that goes against the Original stuff.

Less redeemable articles get an Original Dune from-scratch re-write, with an open nu-dune tag at the bottom - like a preek litterbox.

Heh... looks like I've started a bit of a battle with that Bronso article :P it's moved from "Bronso of Ix" to "Bronso" and the Expanded half is now at the top, above Original :o
lotek

Post by lotek »

same here, it's my second edit on the little add about inconsistencies in the nudune
Some people do not consider Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson's works to be canon; because of lack of, or perceived lack of, consistency with Frank Herbert's epic works
someone is watching :)
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Above all, this is an encyclopedia. Just because it's based on the Internet and freely-edited doesn't mean we should respect what that means: providing all documented information in an educated manner. If we want to focus solely on true canon, then we're better off forming a new wiki for that express purpose or making a site outside the "freely-edited" realm.

How to best go about compromising the two canons in this wiki is what I'm concerned about. I'm debating just writing everything down, then making the true canon text black and the nu-canon in red, but that's a little extreme. But the tags that separate the text divides information that would be more easily read as one.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

lotek wrote:same here, it's my second edit on the little add about inconsistencies in the nudune
Some people do not consider Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson's works to be canon; because of lack of, or perceived lack of, consistency with Frank Herbert's epic works
someone is watching :)
Perceived, in that they are blatantly obvious? We're dealing with 2 separate canons here.

Gad :( .. Just as I was thinking out my great compromise idea, I looked over the Paul Atreides article... "When Paul was 13-years of age, he ran away from Castle Caladan to join the Face Dancer circus" Good god.. what the fuck are we going to do?

Hey Red, you want start that new wiki? :P

(Actually... Doesn't that Mr. Chigger have a project on his site, come to think of it?)
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

So, does Duke Leto not miss Paul being gone? How do they justify this?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman