A model of machines in Frank's B Jihad?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

E. LeGuille

Re: A model of machines in Frank's B Jihad?

Post by E. LeGuille »

SandChigger wrote:
E. LeGuille wrote:I originally thought that Thinking Machines were machines that had human brains.
:?: :?: :?:

Why in the world would anyone think that? It doesn't make any sense at all. If Frank Herbert had meant some kind of machine+human combination by the phrase "thinking machines" (NB. NEVER capitalized in the originals), he would have used the word CYBORG, which was coined in 1960.

I'm sorry, but that's yet another of those unthinking misreadings of the actual words in the books that are simply impossible, akin to that "the neutral island where the CET meets could be the Moon or an orbital platform" proposed (if not originated) by yet another mostly fluent yet originally non-native speaker of English, TAZ (=The Almighty Zeus), whom you probably know as Jonathan F on FB & KJASF.
Sorry, I did not clarify. I was 8 when I saw the David Lynch film, and the drawings if the introduction made me hear Thinking Machines, and I thought that meant Machines with human brains. I did not know about Robots with AI like that.

I'm only 23, so it was a while ago.
Long Live the Fighters.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

E. LeGuille wrote:Sorry, I did not clarify. I was 8 when I saw the David Lynch film, and the drawings if the introduction made me hear Thinking Machines, and I thought that meant Machines with human brains. I did not know about Robots with AI like that.
Context is everything. :roll:

I've never seen the version with the background history illustrations, so I don't know what aspect of them made you "hear" capital letters. Are you perchance a synesthete? ;)
Nah, 15 years is but yesterday. I've got warts that are far older.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

SandChigger wrote:
E. LeGuille wrote:Sorry, I did not clarify. I was 8 when I saw the David Lynch film, and the drawings if the introduction made me hear Thinking Machines, and I thought that meant Machines with human brains. I did not know about Robots with AI like that.
Context is everything. :roll:

I've never seen the version with the background history illustrations, so I don't know what aspect of them made you "hear" capital letters. Are you perchance a synesthete? ;)
Heh, no. But I do taste something when I listen to frequencies below a certain range, so I may have some synesthesi-action going on.

Sorry, but what I am talking about is that the extended version has a narrative beginning, with pictures of the thinking machines. And they made me think that for some reason.
Nah, 15 years is but yesterday. I've got warts that are far older.
A wart that is older than me... that's a scary thought.
Long Live the Fighters.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

E. LeGuille wrote:Sorry, but what I am talking about is that the extended version has a narrative beginning, with pictures of the thinking machines. And they made me think that for some reason.
While I haven't seen it myself, I have heard/read about the intro. Another of Lynch's many sins.

And wouldn't it be amusing if that's where Kevin & Brian got their "cymek" inspiration?! :lol:
E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

No, the Cymek thing comes from his L. Ron Hubbard, Church of Scientology meeting the week before that.
Long Live the Fighters.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Actually, he stole the name from that Chinaware guy.

Cliticar dalrings to the lescue! :P
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

say Chig, did you see the flap I had in The Challenge thread ?

Photobucket deleting the "Wut's Dat ? I Raff, I Ruse ?" pic ?

they haven't yet deleted all the other engrish pics I put in there right after that.

"You want mirrion dorrar ? Fuck you, here bomb !" still makes me giggle.

anyway, do you think that kind of humor is racist, and do the little yellow ones themselves
think that kind of humor is racist ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

SandRider wrote:say Chig, did you see the flap I had in The Challenge thread ?

Photobucket deleting the "Wut's Dat ? I Raff, I Ruse ?" pic ?

they haven't yet deleted all the other engrish pics I put in there right after that.

"You want mirrion dorrar ? Fuck you, here bomb !" still makes me giggle.

anyway, do you think that kind of humor is racist, and do the little yellow ones themselves
Photobucket is like that - I've seen work-in-progress pics of a nude clay sculpt get removed due to terms violation.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

SandRider wrote:anyway, do you think that kind of humor is racist, and do the little yellow ones themselves
Well, I've been called a racist, so my opinion on what is or is not racist is no doubt suspect. ;)

And "the little yellow ones" think almost anything is racist if it's humorous and about them. When they're doing it about others, no so much. :roll:
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I think we've had this discussion before,about how racist the Japanese are.

they still think they're numba one,right ?

then the chinese & then "white people" ...

and koreans are on the bottom, and africans aren't people.

that about sum it up ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:I think we've had this discussion before,about how racist the Japanese are.

they still think they're numba one,right ?

then the chinese & then "white people" ...

and koreans are on the bottom, and africans aren't people.

that about sum it up ?
Do they like country music too?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

I cant see how it's racist when it's true. They do pronounce L as an R.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Seraphan wrote:I cant see how it's racist when it's true. They do pronounce L as an R.
As you quickly learn in The South, if you are of another race and you criticize someone, even if it is true you are a racist.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Freakzilla wrote:
Seraphan wrote:I cant see how it's racist when it's true. They do pronounce L as an R.
As you quickly learn in The South, if you are of another race and you criticize someone, even if it is true you are a racist.
Depends why you say it. :wink: If I say that a large % of native canadians are drunks, it's just true, not racist. If i meet a native person and assume they're a drunk, that's racist. I can criticize people all I want and not be a racist.

I do imagine you down south get a LOT of people playing the race card and assuming racism when there isn't any, but I would imagine that white people are also over reacting and assuming that people are assuming they're being racist more often than it's actually happening.
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Freakzilla wrote:
Aww, man! Does that mean i can't make my George Takei impersonation anymore? :(
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Depends why you say it. :wink: If I say that a large % of native canadians are drunks, it's just true, not racist. If i meet a native person and assume they're a drunk, that's racist. I can criticize people all I want and not be a racist.
I know that, man. :roll:
I do imagine you down south get a LOT of people playing the race card and assuming racism when there isn't any, but I would imagine that white people are also over reacting and assuming that people are assuming they're being racist more often than it's actually happening.
Come for a visit sometime. :wink:

[YouTube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH6gcWM60UM[/YouTube]
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
I know you know that.

No way, you crazy people carry guns around! :wink:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Freakzilla wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
I know you know that.

You never know when you may have to impliment the Zombie Attack Plan. :wink:

It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it. :P
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
I know you know that.

You never know when you may have to impliment the Zombie Attack Plan. :wink:

It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it. :P
If I ever have a gun it'll be a real gun. Something fully automatic with a grenade launcher attachment. :wink:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I highly recommend the M203: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... d/m203.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

:D thanks freak, that's a thing of beauty! Why don't you guys carry stuff like that around, or at least keep it at home?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote::D thanks freak, that's a thing of beauty! Why don't you guys carry stuff like that around, or at least keep it at home?
I don't think that would be entirely legal. :shock:

I think there's some kind of assault weapon ban.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote::D thanks freak, that's a thing of beauty! Why don't you guys carry stuff like that around, or at least keep it at home?
I don't think that would be entirely legal. :shock:
I think there's some kind of assault weapon ban.
That sounds like a violation of the second amendment to me (is that the right amendment?).
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Seraphan wrote:Aww, man! Does that mean i can't make my George Takei impersonation anymore? :(
No, it just means you have to play up the gay angle more. ;)

Imagine yourself William "The Shat" Shatner... :lol:
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

SandChigger wrote:
Seraphan wrote:Aww, man! Does that mean i can't make my George Takei impersonation anymore? :(
No, it just means you have to play up the gay angle more. ;)

Imagine yourself William "The Shat" Shatner... :lol:
You mean ask people for money simply for talking to me. I think i can do that. :think: