Transportation

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

E. LeGuille

Transportation

Post by E. LeGuille »

Outside of Guild Heighliners and the Ithaca, was there ever any other transport mentioned in the series? I remember in one of the prequels the mention of the first Harkonnen no-ship, that Raban crashed on to Wallach. (I can't remember, it's been 2 years.) But, okay -- why would they need a no-ship before Paul, anyway? To hide from the BG?

I can't remember if there was. I had imagined at one point, if the BT had ever been a space-faring type, they'd call the ships, "Sky-snakes". Oh well.

I could not remember if there was trans-planetary transportation or not. Did they really call upon the guild for everything? And if so, how were smugglers successful? Pay offs? To who?
Long Live the Fighters.
SadisticCynic

Re: Transportation

Post by SadisticCynic »

I think it's thought that the smugglers worked by bribing the Guild and sometimes the local government. Other than the Guild Heighliners there are the landers that they carry, but I don't think those are ever mentioned for use in interplanetary travel.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Slugger

Post by Slugger »

E. LeGuille wrote:Outside of Guild Heighliners and the Ithaca, was there ever any other transport mentioned in the series? I remember in one of the prequels the mention of the first Harkonnen no-ship, that Raban crashed on to Wallach. (I can't remember, it's been 2 years.) But, okay -- why would they need a no-ship before Paul, anyway? To hide from the BG?
It's been a while, but was it an actual no-ship (shielding the occupants from prescience) or simply just a cloaked ship (that the HacksTwain thought would be cool to call a no-ship)?
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

E. LeGuille wrote:Outside of Guild Heighliners and the Ithaca, was there ever any other transport mentioned in the series?
Wooooooooooooorrrms. Specifically when they're ridden. And ornithopters.

Or do you mean vessels meant for interplanetary travel?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

...and thorses...

Mankind's movement through deep space placed a unique stamp on religion
during the one hundred and ten centuries that preceded the Butlerian Jihad. To
begin with, early space travel, although widespread, was largely unregulated,
slow, and uncertain, and, before the Guild monopoly, was accomplished by a
hodgepodge of methods. The first space experiences, poorly communicated and
subject to extreme distortion, were a wild inducement to mystical speculation.

~Appendix II: The Religion of Dune

If you have not read the appendicies in Dune, I highly recommend it.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Slugger

Post by Slugger »

Generic "ground vehicles," lighters and frigates for space to orbit travel. Teg has "hammerships" and trooper carriers at his disposal when he attacks Junction.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Slugger wrote:Generic "ground vehicles," lighters and frigates for space to orbit travel. Teg has "hammerships" and trooper carriers at his disposal when he attacks Junction.
..and armor (tanks).
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I remember in one of the prequels the mention of the first Harkonnen no-ship, that Raban crashed on to Wallach.
is this what Joe Smith was babbling about before the NWO stormtroopers knocked on his door ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:
I remember in one of the prequels the mention of the first Harkonnen no-ship, that Raban crashed on to Wallach.
is this what Joe Smith was babbling about before the NWO stormtroopers knocked on his door ?
Undoubtedly.
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Slugger wrote:
E. LeGuille wrote:Outside of Guild Heighliners and the Ithaca, was there ever any other transport mentioned in the series? I remember in one of the prequels the mention of the first Harkonnen no-ship, that Raban crashed on to Wallach. (I can't remember, it's been 2 years.) But, okay -- why would they need a no-ship before Paul, anyway? To hide from the BG?
It's been a while, but was it an actual no-ship (shielding the occupants from prescience) or simply just a cloaked ship (that the HacksTwain thought would be cool to call a no-ship)?
What they wrote: It's a no-ship and it's invisible to the naked eye.
What FH wrote: No ships aren't invisible to the naked eye.
What they then wrote: It's not the same no-tech as in the later books.

The existence to no-tech in the prequels comes from a line in the UK ed of Heretics in the Gammu no-globe: "Teg guessed it to be much earlier than that of the Tyrant" ... whao, wow, wait! ... FH himself placed no-tech pre-tyrant!!1!!!!!!1...

..only he didn't. Teg is guessing it pre-dates Leto's own no-room not Leto himself. This is blindingly obvious if you read the line in context.

Two biggest Dune fans eh? :lol:

Two biggest tossers. :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Slugger

Post by Slugger »

DuneFishUK wrote: What they wrote: It's a no-ship and it's invisible to the naked eye.
What FH wrote: No ships aren't invisible to the naked eye.
What they then wrote: It's not the same no-tech as in the later books.
Is it a "no ship" or "no-ship" that isn't invisible to the naked eye? ;)

No-ships do possess a device to render them invisible. That's the whole point of Teg being able to see them.

Code: Select all

He (Teg) lifted off the Flat and repositioned in full invisibility. Now, only the
comlinks gave defenders a clue to his position and that was masked by decoy
relays.
Page 311 of my CH:D PDF.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

:cylon101:

FH's no-ships are invisible to the eye, if they want it to be. Don't make me whip out my quotes...
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

It has been a while :oops:

The scene that sticks in my mind is the glistening no-ship.

(Dune Messiah Chapter 4 and counting :) )
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

For brief moments when they disgorged troops, no-ships were visible and
vulnerable. He held elements of the entire force responsive to his comboard and
responsibility was heavy.

He lifted off the Flat and repositioned in full invisibility. Now, only the
comlinks gave defenders a clue to his position and that was masked by decoy
relays.

~Chapterhouse: Dune

This is from the battle for Gammu, where the enemy was in the line of sight.
~Pink Snowman
E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

But my main concern, I guess, was the sudden existence of a no-ship before the Ithaca -- or what it the Ithaca? I cannot remember if it was stolen from Raban, taken back by the Harkonnen or what... I got confused on House Corrino.
Long Live the Fighters.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

E. LeGuille wrote:But my main concern, I guess, was the sudden existence of a no-ship before the Ithaca -- or what it the Ithaca? I cannot remember if it was stolen from Raban, taken back by the Harkonnen or what... I got confused on House Corrino.

Please, forget everything the Hacks Twain ever wrote. There are so many inconsistancies wth FH most of us doubt they've even read his books.

:cylon101:
No-field technology was invented by the Ixians on commision from Leto II in the begining of his reign in order to hide His Journals at Dar es Balat. They used the tech after perfecting it to invent the Ixian Navigation Machine and after perfecting it near the end of his reign made an opposite clone of Malky to woo the God Emperor. To initiate The Scattering, Leto sent Reverend Mother Anteac leading a force of Fish Speakers to invade IX. The Ixians scattered, sending no-field and INM tech far and wide. The Harkonnens drained their funds building the first no-field besides Dar-es-Balat that we know of.

Any nonsense about pre-Tyrant no-fields is just that. BTW, Ithica is a name given by the hacks to the HM no-ship stolen by Teg, FH never gave it's name.

I could clarify what happened in House Harkonnen (?) but will not.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

E. LeGuille wrote:But my main concern, I guess, was the sudden existence of a no-ship before the Ithaca -- or what it the Ithaca? I cannot remember if it was stolen from Raban, taken back by the Harkonnen or what... I got confused on House Corrino.
I felt a little sorry for you when I read that.
Lucky the only one online was Freak.

Lucky the SandChigger is at the undisclosed secret location,
and not monitoring the board ....

ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Thanks, now I've got beer and whiskey EVERYWHERE!
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I was just fixin' to ax you whut you was doin up at 3am EST
ImageImage

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:I was just fixin' to ax you whut you was doin up at 3am EST
I've already passed out once...
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Played a game of Antietam! and got pissed off when the Yankees threw the third wave at me and I quit.

Bastards seem like they have unlimited men.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I just fell off the internet.

ImageImage

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

My lesser half's softball team came in second in their tournament today and I gave her a Jackson to go get drunk with them, so I've been waiting up for her to come home in hopes of violating her ten different ways.

She usually doesn't stay out this late. I kind of don't hope she's not in jail, I just paid bills and don't have money for bail, not sure I'm going to have money for D*C. I'd love to hear her call from County though.

Man, if I'd known there were so many hotties on her team I'd have gone to every game... I told her which ones to bring home.

I called the numer she left and got VM. Kinda worried. The way she treated me last time I was in jail I don't think she would dare call me.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Unfortunately, she's not in jail. :(
~Pink Snowman
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Freakzilla wrote:Unfortunately, she's not in jail. :(

You are such a.... ;)
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.