Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Transportation

Post by Freakzilla »

Eyes High wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Unfortunately, she's not in jail. :(

You are such a.... ;)
But that's why you love me. :P
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

SandRider wrote:
E. LeGuille wrote:But my main concern, I guess, was the sudden existence of a no-ship before the Ithaca -- or what it the Ithaca? ...

Lucky the SandChigger is at the undisclosed secret location,
and not monitoring the board ....
Ithaca as the name for the no-ship ... one of the STUPIDEST things they have come up with yet. Ugh. :roll:

Almost as as good as a "Titan" named Tlaloc. Or Barbarossa. Or Dante. :laughing-rolling:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

SandChigger wrote:
SandRider wrote:
E. LeGuille wrote:But my main concern, I guess, was the sudden existence of a no-ship before the Ithaca -- or what it the Ithaca? ...

Lucky the SandChigger is at the undisclosed secret location,
and not monitoring the board ....
Ithaca as the name for the no-ship ... one of the STUPIDEST things they have come up with yet. Ugh. :roll:

Almost as as good as a "Titan" named Tlaloc. Or Barbarossa. Or Dante. :laughing-rolling:
Or an "author" named Kevin J Anderson.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Slugger

Post by Slugger »

Don't forget the Guild transport in Heretics that Mother Superior arrived in over Gammu. Seems to be different than a Heighliner.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Slugger wrote:Don't forget the Guild transport in Heretics that Mother Superior arrived in over Gammu. Seems to be different than a Heighliner.

It was a Guild Heighliner that had been converted to use the INM, however they still kept Navigators on board out of distrust for the Ixian machine.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Slugger

Post by Slugger »

Freakzilla wrote:
Slugger wrote:Don't forget the Guild transport in Heretics that Mother Superior arrived in over Gammu. Seems to be different than a Heighliner.

It was a Guild Heighliner that had been converted to use the INM, however they still kept Navigators on board out of distrust for the Ixian machine.
I know it was a converted Guildship, but a Heighliner? It's referred to only as a Guild "Transport" throughout the scene. In fact, if my PDF is accurate, "Heighliner" returns 0 results on a search.

I thought that maybe by that time Heighliners were too large to traffic, had fallen out of style. Like the Guild's Golden Age had passed. (In CH Odrade remarks that "only the important travel" or something like that).
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

OK, tell me exactly what is the difference between a Guild "heighliner" and a Guild "ship". Provide quotes.

:roll:
~Pink Snowman
Slugger

Post by Slugger »

Freakzilla wrote:OK, tell me exactly what is the difference between a Guild "heighliner" and a Guild "ship". Provide quotes.

I don't know, they're not really described? A Heighliner is massive.... All my point was that in Heretics there is a ship that's referred to as a "Guild Transport." Did Heighliner somehow come to be called a Transport? Is it a fair assumption that the two are the same?
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

Slugger wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:OK, tell me exactly what is the difference between a Guild "heighliner" and a Guild "ship". Provide quotes.

I don't know, they're not really described? A Heighliner is massive.... All my point was that in Heretics there is a ship that's referred to as a "Guild Transport." Did Heighliner somehow come to be called a Transport? Is it a fair assumption that the two are the same?
All Guild Heighliners are ships, but not all ships are Guild Heighliners.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Frybread wrote:
Slugger wrote:

All Guild Heighliners are ships, but not all ships are Guild Heighliners.
but they are immortal.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Frybread wrote:All Guild Heighliners are ships, but not all ships are Guild Heighliners.
Agreed. Nowhere does it say that ALL Guildships were Heighliners. Even from the beginning there was an obvious distinction:
FH in Dune wrote: The Duke looked at him. "This will be your first time off planet," he said. "Yes, they're big. We'll be riding a Heighliner because it's a long trip. A Heighliner is truly big. Its hold will tuck all our frigates and transports into a little corner—we'll be just a small part of the ship's manifest."
There's no way to read that passage (which makes any sense) and NOT interpret it to mean that the Guild has other ships of other sizes. (Note that at this point in [real-world] time, FH evidently did not yet conceive of spacefolding as being instantaneous ["...because it's a long trip."], as also shown by the deleted "Caladan to Arrakis" chapter in RtD.)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

:yawn:

I believe the point I was trying to make was that the ship had the INM installed, that is a much greater difference than the size or cargo capacity.
~Pink Snowman
Slugger

Post by Slugger »

All my post was to state that in Heretics the Guild had a ship named a "Transport".
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I took "transport" to be a description, not a class of ship.

However, I see now that FH capitalized it like he did Heighliner, so I guess it is. I've never noticed that. Thank you.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

That's something I noticed when smooty was claiming a Guild Heighliner had crashed on Chapter House Planet: AFAICT the word "Heighliner" never appears in the last two novels. ;)

(6:7:4:2::D:DM:CoD:GEoD)

(Not sure what the expression of boredom above was about; it WAS a point of contention once on DN or 'Keen.)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I hadn't had my coffee yet.
~Pink Snowman
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Freakzilla wrote:
Eyes High wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Unfortunately, she's not in jail. :(

You are such a.... ;)
But that's why you love me. :P
You know it.... :mrgreen: ;) :shhh:

(I didn't realize I was so far behind on the posts. Gotta catch up today.)
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.