Daniel and Marty

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Daniel and Marty

Post by SandChigger »

They wouldn't really have had to be captured BG, would they? Just the regular females of Scattering BT.

Actually... how would the BT female and BG female lines ever mix? Does a Reverend Mother have access to the memories of the mother-line of her father? Or would those female memories be blocked from her because access would be through her male-line memories? Have we ever come up with a definitive answer for that?

Because it is relevant: if the father's mother's memories are blocked, there's no way the BT & BG lines memories could be joined in one female other than through Sharing. And after the BG who went out into The Scattering had exhausted their spice and lost the ability to create new RMs, Sharing would have been lost to them along with OM anyway.

If the memory block was a result of BT genetic engineering, shouldn't it only have been remained effective in women directly descended from BT females? Wouldn't it have become less effective as new genetic material was brought into the mix? (The HMs didn't have children only with men descended from HM females after all, right?)

Hmm... :think:
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:Does a Reverend Mother have access to the memories of the mother-line of her father? Or would those female memories be blocked from her because access would be through her male-line memories? Have we ever come up with a definitive answer for that?

Because it is relevant: if the father's mother's memories are blocked, there's no way the BT & BG lines memories could be joined in one female other than through Sharing. And after the BG who went out into The Scattering had exhausted their spice and lost the ability to create new RMs, Sharing would have been lost to them along with OM anyway.

If the memory block was a result of BT genetic engineering, shouldn't it only have been remained effective in women directly descended from BT females? Wouldn't it have become less effective as new genetic material was brought into the mix? (The HMs didn't have children only with men descended from HM females after all, right?)

Hmm... :think:

I've always assumed OM was ALL female ancestors. Male OM is not "blocked", everyone has both male and female OM. BG choose only to access the female memories.

As for the BT block, who knows how that works, I assume they're still there just inaccessible. I'll have to think about that one...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandChigger wrote:
Apjak wrote:This is one, if not the only one, thing I think is probably right in the Hunters/Sandworms failure. I think the best explanation for the other-memory gaps that HM have, is that their ancestors had no memories to pass on.
I admit that the idea seemed to have a strong FH vibe to me, too, when I first read it. And for all we can know at present, it may actually be based on something they found in his notes.

The problem, though, is that pesky fact that ancestral memory is genetic in the Duniverse. Completely wiping a woman's memories and her entire personality when she is made a tank (if that's really what occurs) should not affect her genetic (somatic cellular) memory. If the idea really was FH's and he had decided to include it in one of the novels, I feel certain he would have provided a much more convincing DUNE-like explanation than the "hysterical feminine solidarity amnesia" bullshit we got in McDune. I like to think it would have involved what the BT were masters at: genetic engineering. Remember Scytale's ditty: "Tleilaxu sperm does not talk." If the BT Masters engineered their own cells to be opaque to BG investigation, why would they not do the same to the cells of the women they gave to the BG?
again, Keith shows his poor understanding of logic in general and Dune in particular.
(it reminds me of an sf story where a race of aliens create copies of earth items but all text is blurred because they got their info from long lost tv signals)
It's a form of logic that only skims the surface of things, "from a distance it looks similar so to hell with detail, it was tough enough to understand this!"
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Freakzilla wrote:I've always assumed OM was ALL female ancestors. Male OM is not "blocked", everyone has both male and female OM. BG choose only to access the female memories.

As for the BT block, who knows how that works, I assume they're still there just inaccessible. I'll have to think about that one...
OK, so if we go with your OM assumption there would have to be something about the BT female genetics that blocked access to female memories even from non-BT-female lines. That would have to be some piece of work. :)
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Is there a reference to BT females ever having been allowed a life?
Perhaps they're treated worse than veal, the BT are pretty specific about the roles allowed for females. What if their genetic memory is being the lobotomised, organic component of a baby machine? (following that idea, maybe they had memories from the mists of time or tanks were originally built from scratch)
For that matter, how much personality was left in the BG volunteer tanks and did that get passed on?

I know i'm out of my depth here. If i've 'pulled a Donnie...' well, you know the drill.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

D Pope wrote:Is there a reference to BT females ever having been allowed a life?
Perhaps they're treated worse than veal, the BT are pretty specific about the roles allowed for females. What if their genetic memory is being the lobotomised, organic component of a baby machine? (following that idea, maybe they had memories from the mists of time or tanks were originally built from scratch)
For that matter, how much personality was left in the BG volunteer tanks and did that get passed on?

I know i'm out of my depth here. If i've 'pulled a Donnie...' well, you know the drill.
No you're right, if they were mindless tanks, they wouldn't have any memories to access.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I can understand the need for having a clean testtube for cooking up some gholas.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Eru

Post by Eru »

Slugger wrote:Here's something I was thinking about:

Let's assume that Frank Herbert had intended them to be machines. But instead of those two abominations (Erasmus and Omnius), what if Daniel & Marty were more like the humanoid Cylons from Moore's series? In Heretics and Chapterhouse, we have evidence of the weakening of the prohibitions of the Butlerian Jihad (Clairby being cyborged, those autonomous service mechs the Honored Matres employed on Junction). We know that Ix pursued technologies that flaunted the BJ and that the Bene Tleilax were capable of modification of the human form (they engineered their form, implanted that metallic element in their skin to repel scanners). So, what if D&M are renegade experiments between the factions that Ix and BT sent out into the Scattering? Could explain why Masters mistake them for Face Dancers and the impressive technology they seem to possess.

Thoughts?
I just want to start by saying how much I love the comparison to BSG. I am almost finished with BSG and will never be able to watch it again w/o thinking of the Cylons as Face Dancers :D

As to the matter at hand. I actually still think the BT being the cause of the OM block makes a bit of sense, just once again, not as pinky and the brian thought. Maybe it's not so much an actual programed lock, but a side effect of the generations of lives as tanks. OM isn't like a encyclopedia where you can just conjure up the ancestors you want at will. I imagine the OM of the HM as vast wastelands, clogged with the emptiness of those tank lives.

Just a thought.
If there's anything I've learned from working with monkeys, it's that there is no problem which cannot be solved by flinging poo at it.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hmm. Interesting.

And far more original than hysterical female solidarity-born amnesia. :roll:
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Eru I totally get what what you're saying, but where was it stated that the Honoured Matres had Bene Tleilax heritage? Or have misunderstood.

And yeah the Tleilaxu Tanks were basically lobotomy cases.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

The abomination known as Grunters introduces the HM as having a BT heritage.
Wikipedia wrote:A former Honored Matre herself, Murbella eventually accesses the Other Memory from her Honored Matre ancestors, and learns their true origins. The core of the Honored Matres were vengeful Tleilaxu females, freed and assimilated by Fish Speakers and Bene Gesserits fleeing in The Scattering. The Tleilaxu women had been used as axlotl tanks by their males for millennia; though the current Honored Matres did not know their own origins, this explains to Murbella why they had been compelled to so mercilessly annihilate the Tleilaxu worlds in the Old Empire. Murbella also 'remembers' the attack by a renegade Honored Matre that first antagonized the Enemy.
:tissue2:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Oh dear. :doh:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ugh. Is a BT heritage for the HMs another one of those insidious McDune shitsmears that seeps its way into quasi-respectability, like "artificial spice"? :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

McDune will never have my respect. I'm waiting for the day when a semi-intelligent member of the HLP disavows the existence of these books. Yeah, I'm pretty sure this dream will never come true. :cry:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I'm waiting for the day when semi-intelligent member of the HLP reveals him or herself.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I'd settle for one who was semi-literate, who could spell when copying text from one place to another. ;)
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

SandChigger wrote:I'd settle for one who was semi-literate, who could spell when copying text from one place to another. ;)
Technically, that isn't even a necessary skill for that task. :doh:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

YOU'D THINK, HUH?! :laughing:
DragEgusku

Post by DragEgusku »

I do not understand something. Duncan had visions of Daniel and Marty, but see a net like a northern lights infinite.
This net was generated by Daniel and Marty? It's a curiosity, because I have not managed to get doubting.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

DragEgusku wrote:I do not understand something. Duncan had visions of Daniel and Marty, but see a net like a northern lights infinite.
This net was generated by Daniel and Marty? It's a curiosity, because I have not managed to get doubting.
No, it was generated by the no-ship from the scattering's computer. The program was in the navigation charts folder, I believe.
~Pink Snowman
DragEgusku

Post by DragEgusku »

Now I really do not understand. What scattering's computer?
You want to say that Duncan's no-ship was connected to a computer from Scattering?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

DragEgusku wrote:Now I really do not understand. What scattering's computer?
You want to say that Duncan's no-ship was connected to a computer from Scattering?
The no-ship itself was from The Scattering. It's the Honored Matre no-ship Teg stole from Gammu. That navigation computer.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Freakzilla wrote:
DragEgusku wrote:I do not understand something. Duncan had visions of Daniel and Marty, but see a net like a northern lights infinite.
No, it was generated by the no-ship from the scattering's computer. The program was in the navigation charts folder, I believe.
Consciously?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

inhuien wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Consciously?
I don't no how, just that when Duncan wiped out the navigation memory in the no-ship's computer, The Net, Marty and Daniel disappear.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

This leads me to suspect at the very least, Marty and Daniel could track no-ships via their navigation computer.
~Pink Snowman