Daniel and Marty

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

A Thing of Eternity

Re: Daniel and Marty

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I like stories where the protagonists loose. Like Dune Messiah.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

"THE BODY AND SOUL OF THE BENE GESSERIT WILL MEET THE SAME FATE AS ALL OTHER
BODIES AND ALL OTHER SOULS."
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

:shock:

Okay, *that* was a spine-tingling moment.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Freakzilla wrote:I have not finished Dune...
EXPOSED!

:P
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Hunchback Jack wrote::shock:

Okay, *that* was a spine-tingling moment.

HBJ
True...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Drunken Idaho wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I have not finished Dune...
EXPOSED!

:P
:oops: :D Like anyone believes that.
~Pink Snowman
Slugger

Post by Slugger »

Would the union between the BG and HM be sufficient or would their complete destruction be more fitting towards "THE SAME FATE AS ALL OTHER
BODIES AND ALL OTHER SOULS.

And what about Sheeana and her supporters on-board the no-ship? They have everything to restart the BG and the BT (although I am of the notion that Frank never intended to resurrect Paul, Chani, Leto, etc).
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Slugger wrote:Would the union between the BG and HM be sufficient or would their complete destruction be more fitting towards "THE SAME FATE AS ALL OTHER
"WHAT IS SURVIVAL IF YOU DO NOT SURVIVE WHOLE?"
And what about Sheeana and her supporters on-board the no-ship? They have everything to restart the BG and the BT (although I am of the notion that Frank never intended to resurrect Paul, Chani, Leto, etc).
You mean God Empress Sheeana? :wink:
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

I have no idea what plan FH had for the lost no-ship, or Sheeana. I've often wondered where he was going with that, and I guess I'll never know (which in and of itself is enough reason to hate KJABH).
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I have no idea what plan FH had for the lost no-ship, or Sheeana. I've often wondered where he was going with that, and I guess I'll never know (which in and of itself is enough reason to hate KJABH).
BOOOOOO!

I have some pretty good ideas, one day I'll write an outline.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:I have no idea what plan FH had for the lost no-ship, or Sheeana. I've often wondered where he was going with that, and I guess I'll never know (which in and of itself is enough reason to hate KJABH).
BOOOOOO!

booo what?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
BOOOOOO!

booo what?
KJABH for not letting us in on the notes and outline.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
BOOOOOO!

booo what?
KJABH for not letting us in on the notes and outline.
Ah, indeed then.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Slugger wrote:And what about Sheeana and her supporters on-board the no-ship? They have everything to restart the BG and the BT ...
Yes, but will they? The presence of Duncan and Sheeana indicates that there are more possibilities than just a recreation of the old Empire structures. (No idea what, though).

I agree with you about the gholas, by the way. If any had been resurrected, I think they would have been killed.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Slugger

Post by Slugger »

Freakzilla wrote:
Slugger wrote:Would the union between the BG and HM be sufficient or would their complete destruction be more fitting towards "THE SAME FATE AS ALL OTHER
"WHAT IS SURVIVAL IF YOU DO NOT SURVIVE WHOLE?"
Touche.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Okay, so the Old Empire might have been wiped out, but there's no way Sheeana was about to "restart" the BG someplace else. IIRC, at the end of CH:D she went on about going out there and creating a "work of art" of her own, implying something brand new. I definitely got the vibe that this was something along the lines of "God Empress."

And as for gholas, I happen to think that Frank intended to bring back many of the important characters. Daniel said "Gholas. He's welcome to them." at the very last line of the book. Being the last line, my impression was that Frank was saying "You can expect a return of Paul & co."
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I imagined the ghola cells in Scytale was merely a shotgun shooting plot-blanks. I can't imagine the BG wanting/allowing Paul himself running around.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

been holding on to this one forever, guess here's the place to leave it ....

I believe Marty & Daniel were the next Great Teachers of Humanity ....

(there is no reason to believe they were "enemies" of humanity -
enemies of the Honored Matres, sure, but the HM were some mean, foul bitches ...)

I became fully convinced of that when Spinrad talked about the democratic model.
Marty & Daniel broke free of their Masters & determined their own fate ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

SandRider wrote:been holding on to this one forever, guess here's the place to leave it ....

I believe Marty & Daniel were the next Great Teachers of Humanity ....

(there is no reason to believe they were "enemies" of humanity -
enemies of the Honored Matres, sure, but the HM were some mean, foul bitches ...)

I became fully convinced of that when Spinrad talked about the democratic model.
Marty & Daniel broke free of their Masters & determined their own fate ....
Hm. And that would come into conflict with the Old Empire structure, and there would be a war of Independence. To allow for democracy, or to hold on to the Old Empire?
Long Live the Fighters.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

SandRider wrote:(there is no reason to believe they were "enemies" of humanity -
completely agree. After all, fh didn't consider the breakdown of a destructive society as the work of villains :).

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I believe "Dune 7" would have revolved around Marty & Daniel
teaching the Bene Geserit how to be human.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Either that or SkyNet rejects riding on the backs of ultra-waterworms with kewl pew-pew-pew lazers! That would be aw3s0mE !!11!one!!1
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

SandRider wrote:I believe "Dune 7" would have revolved around Marty & Daniel
I like this rendition the most.

History is written by the winners, or in this case the losers (HM). Who knows what the EoMF were really about?
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

SandRider wrote:I believe "Dune 7" would have revolved around Marty & Daniel
I think you are on to something. But I don't think it would have gone smoothly - also because it would have been the entire old empire which would have been subjected to certain lessons. I don't know exactly about the no-ship; it seems impossible to make it relevant to the old empire since they went "off the map". Maybe they could become able to "bargain" with M&D from an entirely different part of the universe - striving to convince them to let the old empire live, or maybe (and this is where it becomes interesting and harkens back to the jihad) to let the old empire alone and decide its own fate instead of having perfect rulers...?
Slugger

Post by Slugger »

Do you think that Frank would have destroyed the Old Empire, like he destroyed Dune? Would Chapterhouse be the next planet to be exterminated, since the Old Empire might begin to focus on it as they did with Dune?