Daniel and Marty

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Slugger

Daniel and Marty

Post by Slugger »

Here's something I was thinking about:

Let's assume that Frank Herbert had intended them to be machines. But instead of those two abominations (Erasmus and Omnius), what if Daniel & Marty were more like the humanoid Cylons from Moore's series? In Heretics and Chapterhouse, we have evidence of the weakening of the prohibitions of the Butlerian Jihad (Clairby being cyborged, those autonomous service mechs the Honored Matres employed on Junction). We know that Ix pursued technologies that flaunted the BJ and that the Bene Tleilax were capable of modification of the human form (they engineered their form, implanted that metallic element in their skin to repel scanners). So, what if D&M are renegade experiments between the factions that Ix and BT sent out into the Scattering? Could explain why Masters mistake them for Face Dancers and the impressive technology they seem to possess.

Thoughts?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Daniel and Marty

Post by Freakzilla »

The only thing different you added was Ix's involvement.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Let's assume that Frank Herbert had intended them to be machines.
can't begin to even do that.

................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Slugger

Post by Slugger »

SandRider wrote:
Let's assume that Frank Herbert had intended them to be machines.
can't begin to even do that.
I'm not looking to justify the HacksTwain's change of identity. It was just an idea to flesh out: they could be bio-mechanical Face Dancers, or the BT based their experiment upon the FD genome. I know that there is no evidence in the book to corroborate any alliance between Ix and BT out in the Scattering, but that's how I thought it might've come about.
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

BH and KJA said themselves the fact that M and D are robots was their invention. They will always be Independent Face Dancers to me.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I could see an alliance between the Tleilax and Ixians to produce organic-machines to get around the BJ proscriptions, since that's a still relatively un-cliched science-fiction theme and does go along with the Dune universe at least mildly, but it should be reserved for (good) fanfiction. Daniel and Marty were advanced Face Dancers, and that's all there really is to it... You could argue that they are a metaphor for organic-machines, which is is technically true since the Tleilax were basically doing that under that mentality, but, again, fanfiction.
E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

I don't ever see any sort of cooperation among the Ix and Tilaxeu on that level. Mostly because the religious insider-fanaticism of the BT prevents them from even considering anyone else as either an ally or accomplice. No, the only thing I could see is the Ix being destroyed by the BT. Everything suggests, even outside of the legends and house trilogies, that there is a long-grown hatred of Ix by the BT and vice versa. There was some technology exchange, I am sure, but nothing like that.

No, the BT would have an inquisition in name of the Honored Matres, maybe. But perhaps the old enemy was in fact always intended to be the Thinking Machines, just not the way it was played out in the other books. Perhaps it was more the re-innovation of thinking machines with a lifting of the BJ rules against it. Hm? With this leaving at the end of it, the feeling like this has all happened before, and may continue to happen? Everyone struggles to survive against them, unites, over generations become slaves of the machines, and the a Sarena Butler moment happens, but in the future? Where it all seems to start Dune again... And that would be good enough as an end. A lesson of, "Take History to Heart." But realizing, we've all played this disco before... we'll all play it again. The pieces are different, but the game is the same.

As far as the worms? They'd find them again. Over time.
Long Live the Fighters.
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

Slugger wrote:Let's assume that Frank Herbert had intended them to be machines.
I'm not looking to justify the HacksTwain's change of identity. It was just an idea to flesh out: they could be bio-mechanical Face Dancers, or the BT based their experiment upon the FD genome. I know that there is no evidence in the book to corroborate any alliance between Ix and BT out in the Scattering, but that's how I thought it might've come about.
The problem I have with this is there is no reason to assume anything more than what we are told. M&D have abilities in line with facedancers and other characters which they directly reference having "absorbed" - they have zero abilities which hint at anything mechanic. No reason to assume they are cyborgs, whatsoever - might as well speculate they have have absorbed some aliens or are Scientology-thetans.
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

E. LeGuille wrote:But perhaps the old enemy was in fact always intended to be the Thinking Machines, just not the way it was played out in the other books.
Reassuring faces. That thought aroused Idaho's suspicions because now he recognized the familiarity. They looked somewhat like Face Dancers, even to the pug noses.
He leaned forward but the vision kept its distance. “Face Dancers,” he whispered.
“They had a Tleilaxu Master, too,” Marty said.”I saw him when they went under the net. I would have so liked to study another Master.”
“Don't see why. Always whistling at us, always making it necessary to stomp them down. I don't like treating Masters that wayand you know it! If it weren't for them…”
"...They [masters] have such a hard time accepting that Face Dancers can be independent of them.”
“I don't see why. It's a natural consequence. They gave us the power to absorb the memories and experiences of other people. Gather enough of those and…”
“It's personas we take, Marty.”
“Whatever. The Masters should've known we would gather enough of them one day to make our own decisions about our own future.”

I think it is pretty obvious what M&D were supposed to be. Haven't heard anyone try to argue how these quotes can be read to accomodate them being machines, much less Omnious and Erasmus.
E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

So, hold on. This suggests that Daniel and Marty, the idea of Independent Face Dancers.... that's what the enemy was? Intersting... So, you could say... Have a Jihad on shape-shifters, or face-dancers? Oh, that's something I never thought of.

A ban of Thinking Machines, and Changeling Genetics.
The BT would be exterminated for sure if that were the case.

*sigh*
Long Live the Fighters.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Lundse wrote:I think it is pretty obvious what M&D were supposed to be. Haven't heard anyone try to argue how these quotes can be read to accomodate them being machines, much less Omnious and Erasmus.
Like I said above, these advanced Face Dancers are like organic machines in that they were grown as product and with their ability to absorb personas are like computers being uploaded onto.

Though I doubt there'd be another jihad with the result of proscriptions against genetic tampering, since the war has already begun in a much different fashion and for far different reasons than the BJ did, and because the Duniverse would end up like Star Trek.
lotek

Post by lotek »

Redstar wrote:
Lundse wrote:I think it is pretty obvious what M&D were supposed to be. Haven't heard anyone try to argue how these quotes can be read to accomodate them being machines, much less Omnious and Erasmus.
Like I said above, these advanced Face Dancers are like organic machines in that they were grown as product and with their ability to absorb personas are like computers being uploaded onto.

Though I doubt there'd be another jihad with the result of proscriptions against genetic tampering, since the war has already begun in a much different fashion and for far different reasons than the BJ did, and because the Duniverse would end up like Star Trek.
it has now sadly enough...
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

E. LeGuille wrote:So, hold on. This suggests that Daniel and Marty, the idea of Independent Face Dancers.... that's what the enemy was? Intersting... So, you could say... Have a Jihad on shape-shifters, or face-dancers? Oh, that's something I never thought of.

*sigh*
I think it is a fair assumption that "the enemy with many faces" are the independent face dancers - if we look at the final books, that's certainly the only thing that suggests itself. If we assume that "the enemy with many faces" are the same as M&D, then it is the only explanation.

I do not know what the relevance to a Jihad is - are you suggesting this would have been the theme for Dune 7? The war against the IFD?

Personally, and this is pure conjecture, I think the IFD are too powerful to be an enemy to defeat. If Frank had written Dune 7, it would probably have been more about making a peace with them (sort of like the Honored Matres-situation was eventually resolved).

But in a Dune universe where independent face dancers are revealed as a threat, I think you are absolutely right that the Tleilax would have a hard time finding allies. Hm... actually, the changes in the Bene Gesserit/Bene Tleilax/Honored Matre/Guild/etc. power structure as the IFD is revealed would actually make an excellent Dune 7...
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Lundse wrote:Hm... actually, the changes in the Bene Gesserit/Bene Tleilax/Honored Matre/Guild/etc. power structure as the IFD is revealed would actually make an excellent Dune 7...
And that's why we're all going to write it.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

E. LeGuille wrote:So, hold on. This suggests that Daniel and Marty, the idea of Independent Face Dancers.... that's what the enemy was? Intersting... So, you could say... Have a Jihad on shape-shifters, or face-dancers? Oh, that's something I never thought of.

*sigh*
Never read Chapterhouse?

I really don't see Dune 7 (or 8 or 9, for that matter) being about any kind of Jihad. To me, Heretics and Chapterhouse were all about the Old Empire awakening to the idea that the Scattering spreads out so far that no one could ever see, or fathom, the immense variety of new civilizations and technologies out there. However, that's not to say that no threat exists at all. I don't pretend to know exactly what Frank had planned, but I assume it was awesome.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

The BT were exterminated by the HM in HoD, except for one Master, Scytale, whom the BG rescued.

The Enemy, was an enemy of the HM, not the BG and they had no contact with Marty and Daniel except through Duncan's visions.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

From the Norman Spinrad interview:
He told me he planned to end the series with a novel that would transition to a fictional universe of democratic rule. Never wrote it, of course. And Brian and Kevin certainly didn't from any 7 notes.
If this is to be believed then i dont think the independent face dancers were a major threat, only that the honoured matres had crossed them and came back to the old empire.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

Seraphan wrote:From the Norman Spinrad interview:
He told me he planned to end the series with a novel that would transition to a fictional universe of democratic rule. Never wrote it, of course. And Brian and Kevin certainly didn't from any 7 notes.
If this is to be believed then i dont think the independent face dancers were a major threat, only that the honoured matres had crossed them and came back to the old empire.
I think the threat of extinction from the Enemy was pretty much neutralized with the melding of HM and BG. That's the feeling I got from Ch:D, anyway.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Frybread wrote:
I think the threat of extinction from the Enemy was pretty much neutralized with the melding of HM and BG. That's the feeling I got from Ch:D, anyway.
The threat of extinction was neutralised ('z' or 's'?) with Leto II. :wink:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

Drunken Idaho wrote:

*sigh*
Never read Chapterhouse?

I really don't see Dune 7 (or 8 or 9, for that matter) being about any kind of Jihad. To me, Heretics and Chapterhouse were all about the Old Empire awakening to the idea that the Scattering spreads out so far that no one could ever see, or fathom, the immense variety of new civilizations and technologies out there. However, that's not to say that no threat exists at all. I don't pretend to know exactly what Frank had planned, but I assume it was awesome.
No, to be honest, this is what happened.

I boght Frank's originals from a book vendor, but she only had up to God Emperor. That's fine, I said. So I got them. Then I bought the prequels, Heretics, and could not get ahold of Chapterhouse. My first five originals eventually got stolen, so I re-purchased the re-published versions. Funny how the originals were stolen but not my prequels...

I have not read Chapterhouse enough, no. I was actually guessing. I am trying to get through Heretics as I recently got ahold of it again. I have not finished Dune, but I read the spoilers. I just don't remember them.

My point about the Jihad, was that it would have made a relevant story. The IFD, being an enemy hard to fight, is like fighting against terrorism. Terrorism is not a country, or a state. It is not an organization, it is a mentality of those who do those actions, because they believe they are right. There is no evil, there is no right and wrong. There just is. And a war with the IFD would force the BG/HM/BT/Guild, etc. To reconsider thier allies and enemies, while a Jihad is raised, the BT are destroyed along with the IFD, and the universe goes into a democracy, bound by a new rule: No genetics like that of the BT. Much like the ban on thinking machines, there would be that new standard for these post-BT Duneiversians.
Long Live the Fighters.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

You don't need Spinerad's quote to know that, man. That was the point of The Scattering, nothing would ever again threaten all of humanity.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

E. LeGuille wrote:Funny how the originals were stolen but not my prequels...
Nah, the theif just had good taste.

I have not read Chapterhouse enough, no. I was actually guessing. I am trying to get through Heretics as I recently got ahold of it again. I have not finished Dune, but I read the spoilers. I just don't remember them.
My point about the Jihad, was that it would have made a relevant story. The IFD, being an enemy hard to fight, is like fighting against terrorism. Terrorism is not a country, or a state. It is not an organization, it is a mentality of those who do those actions, because they believe they are right. There is no evil, there is no right and wrong. There just is. And a war with the IFD would force the BG/HM/BT/Guild, etc. To reconsider thier allies and enemies, while a Jihad is raised, the BT are destroyed along with the IFD, and the universe goes into a democracy, bound by a new rule: No genetics like that of the BT. Much like the ban on thinking machines, there would be that new standard for these post-BT Duneiversians.
Couldn't happen, humankind is too spread out. That's the point.
~Pink Snowman
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I wonder whether FH intended the SFDs to destroy the BG/HM regardless. After all, he destroyed Dune and the BT, and the BG do seem a bit anachronistic. Perhaps having the elements of the Scattering come back and wipe away the last vestiges of the pre-Golden-Path empire would have been an interesting conclusion.

Of course, it's been too long since I read the originals for me to back this up at all. And I've no idea what his plans were for the no-ship.

Full o' shit, as usual, in other words. :)

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I have a hunch it was going to end with the total destruction of the Old Empire and BG, to hammer home the point that the Golden Path was the be all and end all of human survival, and even if "all" was lost (from the reader's point of veiw the old empire is all emotionally) it means nothing to human survival.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I have a hunch it was going to end with the total destruction of the Old Empire and BG, to hammer home the point that the Golden Path was the be all and end all of human survival, and even if "all" was lost (from the reader's point of veiw the old empire is all emotionally) it means nothing to human survival.
I like that. Its a sad ending (which I would enjoy) but one that makes sense.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity