Spine Tingling Moments (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Spine Tingling Moments (SPOILERS)

Post by Freakzilla »

It's almost all flashbacks.

I like the one where they go back in time to 1939 Poland to find Mort, who thought Stewie's time machine was the bathroom...

How many Pollacks does it take to fix a time machine?

Family guy is HILARIOUS.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

The quote, "May you die on Caladan!" was always a spine-tingler for me.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

lotek wrote:Leto II's escape from Shuloch with the first steps of his transformation, I can picture him running and jumping in the desert in my mind's eye.

Which shows what an amazingly talented writer FH was, that even after all this time his tales are so alive in all his readers
QFT. I stayed a bit late at work tonight just so I could listen to the end of that chapter before driving home. Wow :D
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

DuneFishUK wrote:
lotek wrote:Leto II's escape from Shuloch with the first steps of his transformation, I can picture him running and jumping in the desert in my mind's eye.

Which shows what an amazingly talented writer FH was, that even after all this time his tales are so alive in all his readers
QFT. I stayed a bit late at work tonight just so I could listen to the end of that chapter before driving home. Wow :D
Starting just before that with the Gurney administered "worm trip" through the rest of that book is astounding.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Freakzilla wrote:
DuneFishUK wrote:

Starting just before that with the Gurney administered "worm trip" through the rest of that book is astounding.
That entire act always reminds me of my first reading of it... And how friggin' confused I was the entire time! So many weird little Fremen phrases popping up everywhere. It was dizzying. Please tell me I'm not the only one...
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Idahopotato

Post by Idahopotato »

I was rereading Dune for the umpteenth time and I found the interaction between Yueh and Jessica particular fascinating. They are both caught up in their own personal drama that they both misinterpret all the nonverbal nuances going on. Fascinating writing. One thing I love about Dune is that you know who the traitor is all along. There is no need for some Law and Order bull shit twist that the new "authors" attempt to use all the time. Good writing doesn't need that.
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

Leto meets his officers at the spaceport (IIRC).

You get all the facets of Leto; charisma, humor, desperation, the works.

And Gurney is helping him out on several levels, all the while. They get culture clashed by Stilgar, and through it all, Paul is right at the cusp between child and adult - loved the detail at the end about going to sleep on a table, and Leto musing on the facets of the planet.
Not_Your_Friend

Post by Not_Your_Friend »

-the banquet scene
-Paul's awakening
-re-reading Leto II's dropped hints
-Teg's awakening
-more or less any scene of verbal sparring and the reading of hidden meanings