Frank Herbert drew on real life?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Frank Herbert drew on real life?

Post by SandChigger »

Talked to Teg this morning and he brought up this, from Chapter House Dune (emphasis added),
FH in CHD wrote:While Odrade composed her response, memory intruded—an old incident simulflowing over immediate observations. She remembered her ornithopter training course. Two acolyte students with instructor at midday high over the wetlands of Lampadas. She had been paired with as inept an acolyte as could have been accepted by the Sisterhood. Obviously a gene-choice. The Breeding Mistresses wanted her for a characteristic to be passed along to offspring. It certainly wasn't emotional balance or intelligence! Odrade remembered the name: Linchine.

Linchine had shouted at their instructor: "I am going to fly this damned 'thopter!"

And all the while a whirling sky and landscape of trees and marshy lakeshore dizzied them. That was how it seemed: us stationary and the world moving. Linchine doing the wrong thing every time. Each movement created worse gyrations.

The instructor cut her out of the system by pulling the disconnect only he could reach. He did not speak until they were flying straight and level.

"No way are you ever going to fly this, lady. Not ever! You don't have the right reactions. You have to begin training those into someone like you before puberty."

"I am! I am! I'll fly this damned thing." Hands jerking at the useless controls.

"You're washed out, lady. Grounded!"

Odrade breathed easier, realizing she had known all along that Linchine might kill them.
in reference to this, from Dreamer of Dune (emphasis added; originally posted here),
BH in DoD (276) wrote:In 1968, I had an unfortunate experience while taking a flying lesson in a single-engine Piper Colt, an incident where, due to the error of my instructor, we nearly collided with an airliner. Since that time I had not flown, and had vowed I would never do so again, in any sort of aircraft.
I wonder if that instructor is still around.... ;)
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Frank Herbert drew on real life?

Post by Freakzilla »

:lol:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

SandChigger wrote:in reference to this, from Dreamer of Dune (emphasis added; originally posted here),
BH in DoD (276) wrote:In 1968, I had an unfortunate experience while taking a flying lesson in a single-engine Piper Colt, an incident where, due to the error of my instructor, we nearly collided with an airliner. Since that time I had not flown, and had vowed I would never do so again, in any sort of aircraft.
I wonder if that instructor is still around.... ;)
LOL! I never thought of it that way. Brilliant :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

It was Teg made the connection. I merely drew the quotes together and played messenger. :)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I wonder if BH ever put that together while doing his "massive Dune concordance?"

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:laughing-rolling:

Concordance? What concordance?! :laughing:

;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I did put it in quotes.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

He even changes Bobo's sex in Dune Messiah to spare his blushes.

It was the whine that edged her voice, Paul told himself. She'd whined even as a child.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:I wonder if BH ever put that together while doing his "massive Dune concordance?"
Maybe when he gets to the part where the heighliner crashes into Chapterhouse. :P
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman