Arabic and Islamic themes in "Dune"

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

lotek

Arabic and Islamic themes in "Dune"

Post by lotek »

In this article, I try to explain in detail where Frank Herbert got his name, concepts, and words from. This article is not meant to be a literary nor an exhaustive topical critique of the novels, which I am cannot fully do, because simply, I did not read the original novels. I have watched and enjoyed the movie and the mini-series, and read summaries of the novels. Instead, this article is a linguistic and etymological study of the major aspects of Dune as they pertain to Middle East, Arabic, and Islam.
http://baheyeldin.com/literature/arabic ... mment-8363" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

example
SHAI-HULUD
Sandworm of Arrakis, the 'Old Man of the Desert','Old Father Eternity' and 'Grandfather of the Desert.' Significantly, this name, when referred to in a certain tone or written with capital letters, designates the earth deity of Fremen hearth superstitions. Sandworms grow to enormous size (specimens longer than 400 metres have been seen in the deep desert) and live to great age unless slain by one of their fellows or drowned in water, which is poisonous to them. Most of the sand on Arrakis is credited to sandworm action. In Arabic, the name can be split into "Shai" ("thing") and "Hulud" ("eternal" or "eternity").
Spice is the worm's gonads.
A Thing of Eternity

Re: Arabic and Islamic themes in "Dune"

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

lotek wrote:
In this article, I try to explain in detail where Frank Herbert got his name, concepts, and words from. This article is not meant to be a literary nor an exhaustive topical critique of the novels, which I am cannot fully do, because simply, I did not read the original novels. I have watched and enjoyed the movie and the mini-series, and read summaries of the novels. Instead, this article is a linguistic and etymological study of the major aspects of Dune as they pertain to Middle East, Arabic, and Islam.
http://baheyeldin.com/literature/arabic ... mment-8363" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

example
SHAI-HULUD
Sandworm of Arrakis, the 'Old Man of the Desert','Old Father Eternity' and 'Grandfather of the Desert.' Significantly, this name, when referred to in a certain tone or written with capital letters, designates the earth deity of Fremen hearth superstitions. Sandworms grow to enormous size (specimens longer than 400 metres have been seen in the deep desert) and live to great age unless slain by one of their fellows or drowned in water, which is poisonous to them. Most of the sand on Arrakis is credited to sandworm action. In Arabic, the name can be split into "Shai" ("thing") and "Hulud" ("eternal" or "eternity").
What a coincidence that I happened to pick that as my screen name. :wink:
lotek

Post by lotek »

now that you mention it, it sure is some coincidence :mrgreen:

baaad example then :oops:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Where exactly were you going with this? :)
lotek

Post by lotek »

hell I dunno now...
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:D

That's cool. That page is interesting and a great resource, even if the guy hasn't read the books. I think most of us knew about it, but it's good to have a link here somewhere. :)
lotek

Post by lotek »

well the answer was right under my nose really, tha'ts what you call shooting yourself in the foot then...
well it hurts but mainly my pride so it should be ok :)

nb: maybe because that guy didn't the books gives his research a different angle