ThatDesertPlanetCon (wink wink)

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Talos Aquinas

Post by Talos Aquinas »

Is this likely to happen?

(This March is out for me, too. :( )
I sing the body electric...
And if the body were not the soul, what is the soul?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Well, we can at least all get together and get drunk and call it The Great Convention.

:P
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Can we get a ruling on whether that name would be OK?

Ah says, is there a lawyer in the house? ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Sounds good to me.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
halcyo

Post by halcyo »

The Great Convention! :D

Let's do it!

(I could totally see the HLP trying to shut something like this down without it being centered around THEIR agenda.....you know they would at least try to crash the party!)

halcyo
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

hey spice grandson..what are the legal ramifications of having a convention titled 'the great convention' that was centered around dune...but not in an open way..what if our 'official' reason of the convention was for friends on this site to meet and discuss anything they want (with dune coincedentally being the main emphesis)..lol..does that make anysense?
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Tyrant wrote:hey spice grandson..what are the legal ramifications of having a convention titled 'the great convention' that was centered around dune...but not in an open way..what if our 'official' reason of the convention was for friends on this site to meet and discuss anything they want (with dune coincedentally being the main emphesis)..lol..does that make anysense?
I don't think the HLP approves of anything unless it comes directly from them. They don't even like McNeilly. Brian totally dissed him in favor of Kevin since they both share the mutual L Ron Hubbards WoTF connection. Then again, Kevin has the final word now so...
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

We should at least invite Kevin to the banquet. I've been fantasizing about having him for dinner for a LONNNNNG time now. :twisted:
halcyo

Post by halcyo »

...since they both share the mutual L Ron Hubbards WoTF connection. Then again, Kevin has the final word now so...
What is this about L Ron Hubbards..... :shock: Don't you dare tell me that Pinky and the Brian are SCIENTOLOGISTS! WTF!

How could they shut down a Dune convention though? It seems like we would be completely within our rights to convene about Dune as long as we weren't selling Dune related merchandise, or making a profit in general....

halcyo
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

Mr. Teg wrote:
Tyrant wrote:hey spice grandson..what are the legal ramifications of having a convention titled 'the great convention' that was centered around dune...but not in an open way..what if our 'official' reason of the convention was for friends on this site to meet and discuss anything they want (with dune coincedentally being the main emphesis)..lol..does that make anysense?
I don't think the HLP approves of anything unless it comes directly from them. They don't even like McNeilly. Brian totally dissed him in favor of Kevin since they both share the mutual L Ron Hubbards WoTF connection. Then again, Kevin has the final word now so...
still..if its not 'official' what the intentions are what power do they really have?
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

You just need to make it clear that the convention isn't affiliated with that shower of shit at HLP and you should be OK.

Waves from the civilised side of the Altantic.
loremaster

Post by loremaster »

I'm with chanilover.... but to be honest the FIRST thing i would want to do would be to dissociate ourselves from the HLP. Frank yes, HLP no.

Tis a hella bugger for to get over from England tho.

CL - hire a boat, one oar each?
The HLP hasnt released Frank's notes yet, Brian hasn't got the handwriting quite right!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

A summer convention in the desert seems best. It sounds like there would be enough interest for at least a small gathering. Maybe we should consider an agenda.

I do not think we should avoid the new books but develop a unified method of critique and discuss how to best counter the books with the written words of Frank Herbert.
halcyo

Post by halcyo »

Nekhrun wrote:A summer convention in the desert seems best. It sounds like there would be enough interest for at least a small gathering. Maybe we should consider an agenda.

I do not think we should avoid the new books but develop a unified method of critique and discuss how to best counter the books with the written words of Frank Herbert.
Wow, so you think we should assemble a committee to cross examine the original series against the new ones? I'd be down. I'm all for presenting more concrete evidence to display how much they are ruining an incredible legacy....

About the convention, it seems like a desert location would also be fairly cheap to fly to in the summer....not a bad idea.

halcyo
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

BUMP!

Anyone thought anymore about this? :?
orald

Post by orald »

If you get me a plain ticket to wherever it is I might be in. :P

Just a quick legal question though: If BH dies, who inherits the HLP? Byron? And is there anyone in the family that's got a bit of sense and respect to Dune left in him/her? If so, can we systematically kill every other member of the family that outranks him\her to inheriting the franchise's rights?

Call it Operation Unbreeding Program. :twisted:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

I still want that debate between BG and HM look-a-like about sexual techniques and who's better to imprint... :P
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

SandChigger wrote:BUMP!

I won't be free until after I graduate :cry:

Rob
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:BUMP!

I might just head there myself even if no one else goes. :)
halcyo

Post by halcyo »

SandChigger wrote:I might just head there myself even if no one else goes. :)
Yea, I've had just about enough of this wet, cold ass winter shit. The desert would do me alot of good right now - dry, WARM, clean!

I do think that this is definitley possible - I mean, all the other geeks have their conventions, right? But maybe that is the irony - it seems like Dune fans would generally be of the opinion that conventions are pretty silly. We're probably all a bit too intellectual (and sane) to be dressing up and playing Dune characters! But I do think it would be cool to meet up with some other people who like these works as much as I do, because I don't know too many in person that I can 'talk Dune' with!

halcyo
orald

Post by orald »

I think it'd be great for some to dress up as HM or BG... :wink:

I'll dress as Duncan and claim to be no stud..but we all know he always ends up that way. :P

Hey, and if I don't shower for a year, does this make me a Fremen?

Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

orald wrote:Hey, and if I don't shower for a year, does this make me a Fremen?
Its a start :lol:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

halcyo wrote:
SandChigger wrote:I might just head there myself even if no one else goes. :)
Um...that warn't me. 'Twere Nekhrun. ;)

Orald, not showering is just the beginning.

You also have to filter and drink your own pee and wear bags of shit on your thighs. ;)
orald

Post by orald »

SandChigger wrote:You also have to filter and drink your own pee and wear bags of shit on your thighs. ;)
Ah, don't worry, after drinking my own urine for a while I'll get sick enough to constantly shit my pants, so there's the "shit sacks on thighs" for ya.

I'm surprised though that the Fremen are supposed to be so sneaky.
You'd think a guy that never baths and shits all over himself will stink bad enough for everyone to smell him half a Km away...upwind.
Or maybe that's why they're so effective in battle? Everyone else just pukes? *need a puking smiley*

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Sort of an ambient version of the "sick sticks" in the Minority Report movie. (Which starred Tom Cruise! There he is again! ;) )