tropes

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Schu

tropes

Post by Schu »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Dune" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thought you guys might enjoy this.
Asspull: The prequels and sequels contain so many it's not funny. Most notable is how Omnius, the machine evermind, is defeated in Sandworms of Dune.
Recently, Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson said they used notes from Herbert found in a safety deposit box to write prequels and one sequel to the Dune series. They were not very well received, and most fans do not consider them canon. They're not bad (see 'Asspull', below), although they don't contain as much philosophy or ecology as the original novels, and their plots move much faster. FHM magazine once speculated that while they may have begun with notes from a deposit box, by the time of the last books they were down to a Post-it Frank left on the fridge saying "NOTE: Write more Dune books". Penny Arcade's assessment was a bit more blunt.
Note: in the article, the "not" in "they're not bad" has strikethrough :P

All in all, the authors and editors seem to have a pretty good understanding of Dune.
A Thing of Eternity

Re: tropes

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Schu wrote:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Dune

Thought you guys might enjoy this.
Asspull: The prequels and sequels contain so many it's not funny. Most notable is how Omnius, the machine evermind, is defeated in Sandworms of Dune.
Recently, Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson said they used notes from Herbert found in a safety deposit box to write prequels and one sequel to the Dune series. They were not very well received, and most fans do not consider them canon. They're not bad (see 'Asspull', below), although they don't contain as much philosophy or ecology as the original novels, and their plots move much faster. FHM magazine once speculated that while they may have begun with notes from a deposit box, by the time of the last books they were down to a Post-it Frank left on the fridge saying "NOTE: Write more Dune books". Penny Arcade's assessment was a bit more blunt.
Note: in the article, the "not" in "they're not bad" has strikethrough :P

All in all, the authors and editors seem to have a pretty good understanding of Dune.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Comedy!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

LOL! :) I like that. "Asspull" That's a great contraction of a very useful phrase :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

This site is a real time-killer. :) I've obsessively read most of the articles I'm interested in, and when I ran out, I started contributing myself. I added significantly to the Dune page linked above, so thought people might like another look. Any opinions on what should be added/changed would be cool.

Here's some of the tropes I added or significantly expanded for fun :cylon101::

ArcWords
DirectToVideo
CloningGold
Discontinuity (second bullet)
FanNickname
FantasticRacism (both bullets)
ModestRoyalty (Is this entirely correct?)
OrwellianEditor
ReallySevenHundredYearsOld (all bullets)
Sequelitis
SeinfeldIsUnfunny
TheShill
ShownTheirWork (both bullets)
TrilogyCreep
TwoPartTrilogy