the real "Road to Dune"

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

lotek

the real "Road to Dune"

Post by lotek »

checking out something on the Dune wiki i found an entry concerning this book

here's the quote
Frank Herbert's own short work "The Road to Dune" takes the form of a guidebook for pilgrims to the fictional planet Arrakis, illustrated by Welsh artist Jim Burns. The work takes place after the fall of Padishah Emperor Shaddam Corrino IV and the ascension of Paul Atreides to the throne in the original novel Dune. Herbert's "Road" discusses the major sights in the capital city, Arrakeen, including the Grand Palace and Temple of Alia. It also features images (with descriptions) of some of the devices and characters presented in the novels, including Paul's personal ornithopter, an Ixian glowglobe, Princess Irulan, Duncan Idaho and Reverend Mother Mohiam.
Any one know what this is, or if it's still available somewhere?(and sorry if this topic doubles, the forum search didn't find it)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
lotek

Re: the real "Road to Dune"

Post by lotek »

got my own answer
google my friend :)

http://www.amazon.com/Eye-Frank-Herbert/dp/074343479X" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Some good stories in there and the Dune illustrations are great. Worth it if you can find a copy.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

just getting one from the amazons for around 15 bucks(damn atlantic ocean and shipping costs)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

The intro written by FH: viewtopic.php?t=907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's how I wrote the novel, wanting you to participate with the best of your own imagination. I did not aim for the lowest common denominator and 'write down" to anyone. You and I have a compact and my responsibility is to entertain you as richly as possible, always giving you as much extra as I can. I assume you are intelligent and will enlist your own imagination.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I have a copy, it's cool but it's very light on Dune material other than the drawings. It's mostly a book of other short stories (FH writes GREAT short fiction).
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

There's at least one Dune short story, IIRC. It is from the point of view of a pilgram taking a tour of Arrakeen. I thought that one was kind of cool. I don't remember what the others were about.
~Pink Snowman
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Does it contain one of the ConSentiency shorts?

HBJ
lotek

Post by lotek »

i'll let you know as soon as I get it :)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

From Wiki:

Contents

Introduction
Herbert discusses David Lynch's film Dune and his own participation in the production, and lists scenes that were shot but cut from the released version.

"Rat Race"

The Dragon in the Sea
Psychological thriller originally serialized as Under Pressure in Astounding magazine from December 1955 through February 1956, then reworked and published as a book in 1956.

"Cease Fire"

"A Matter of Traces"
First appearing in Fantastic Universe magazine in 1958, this short story is notable for the introduction of the character Jorj X. McKie, saboteur extraordinary.

"Try to Remember"

"The Tactful Saboteur"
First appearing in Galaxy Science Fiction magazine in 1964 and later republished in The Worlds of Frank Herbert in 1971, this novelette is notable for establishing the setting for Herbert's ConSentiency universe.

"The Road to Dune"
Set in Herbert's Dune universe, this short work takes the form of a guidebook for pilgrims to the planet Arrakis, complete with illustrations by Welsh artist Jim Burns. The work features several sights, devices and characters presented in the novels.

"By the Book"

"Seed Stock"

"Murder Will In"

"Passage for Piano"

"Death of a City"

"Frogs and Scientists"
This is the story of a frog that considers itself to be a scientist. The frog observes a human female washing herself while a young male human watches and then tries to explain it to another frog.
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

lotek wrote:just getting one from the amazons for around 15 bucks(damn atlantic ocean and shipping costs)
Amazon.co.uk has Eye from 1p + £4 postage to the continent.

Eye has some good stories (and pictures :) )
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
lotek

Post by lotek »

DuneFishUK wrote:
lotek wrote:just getting one from the amazons for around 15 bucks(damn atlantic ocean and shipping costs)

aarrh damn my stupid haste and that internet that lets me express it!
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

lotek wrote:
DuneFishUK wrote:

aarrh damn my stupid haste and that internet that lets me express it!
lol... done that :P
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

lotek wrote:checking out something on the Dune wiki i found an entry concerning this book

here's the quote
Frank Herbert's own short work "The Road to Dune" takes the form of a guidebook for pilgrims to the fictional planet Arrakis, illustrated by Welsh artist Jim Burns. The work takes place after the fall of Padishah Emperor Shaddam Corrino IV and the ascension of Paul Atreides to the throne in the original novel Dune. Herbert's "Road" discusses the major sights in the capital city, Arrakeen, including the Grand Palace and Temple of Alia. It also features images (with descriptions) of some of the devices and characters presented in the novels, including Paul's personal ornithopter, an Ixian glowglobe, Princess Irulan, Duncan Idaho and Reverend Mother Mohiam.
Any one know what this is, or if it's still available somewhere?(and sorry if this topic doubles, the forum search didn't find it)
I got mine at Amazon, Bought it to read the other shorts that tie into the Whipping Star and Dosadi books