Post by SandChigger »

I actually like Nebby, too.

If he weren't around, I'd have to pick on that little Canadian liberal more. :D

(Where is BB lately, anyway?)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: Real life comparisons

Post by Omphalos »

My favoirte Nebbish moment was when he challenged me to figure him out. Nailed him on the first go and he backed down like a protester before a fire-hose.

Now that's nostalgic.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

SandChigger wrote:I actually like Nebby, too.

If he weren't around, I'd have to pick on that little Canadian liberal more. :D

(Where is BB lately, anyway?)
Hey, I thought I was the commie and he was the rightwinger? Did I have that backwards? :? :o
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

"Don't talk like one of them. You're not! Even if you'd like to be. To them, you're just a freak, like me! They need you right now, but when they don't, they'll cast you out, like a leper! You see, their crusade, their orthodox ideology, it's a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of boredom. They're only as fun as SandChigger allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these... these Dune fans, they'll take each others water. See, I'm not a messiah. I'm just ahead of the curve." :wink: :P :lol:
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

I've gotten used to people here going off topic, but I bring this up because most of this thread so far is about me.

I did not intend for this to be a discussion about me, I was suggesting discussing how we see Frank Herbert's Dune or how we are reminded everywhere of it in the real world. Also of course discussing where Frank got his ideas. An old favorite subject of discussion.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Nebiros wrote:I've gotten used to people here going off topic, but I bring this up because most of this thread so far is about me.

I did not intend for this to be a discussion about me, I was suggesting discussing how we see Frank Herbert's Dune or how we are reminded everywhere of it in the real world. Also of course discussing where Frank got his ideas. An old favorite subject of discussion.
Well, why didn't you say so? :?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Nebbish, you more than others really are an intrinsic part of everything that you post. It's just part of being Nebbish.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Omphalos wrote:Nebbish, you more than others really are an intrinsic part of everything that you post. It's just part of being Nebbish.
Let's call it Nebbishism... :dance:
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Will there be a sequel to The Stranger, Nebby?
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

You know, he never posted a part of his epic novel, The Monster of Roc-Roc. What was the other novel called, Nebby?

Goodnight Golden Path!
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

chanilover: tried that, but admittedly even I found it boring and unnecissary. Stopped writing fan fiction when my myspace account went lost in translation. Started a new account on Blogger, but have not got the inspiration for a continuation of House Ordos.

Lately I have lost enthusiasm for the Dune franchise though I will not go so far as to say I'm no longer a fan. As you know I blame that on Brian and Kevin. When I'm finished reading another sci-fi series I'm currently on (I'm now seeing things from THAT book in the real world), I'll re-read the Dune series to re-ignite my interest. Hopefully then I'll start writing fan fiction again.

Omphalos: again, I told you I have already given you a sample of one of my books that I published back on the Dunenovels forum. Plus my fan finction pretty much shows what I am capable of.

Back on topic: the real life spice melange could also be of course real spices (notably cinnamon). In the middle ages spices were used as currency and of course are used to enhance the quality of food.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh, BB, CHEAP shot. How could you? :cry:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I never saw anything titled The Monster of Roc-Roc.

C'mon Nebbish. Indulge me. Let us see an entire chapter.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nebby! Roc-Roc! Nebby! Roc-Roc! :lol:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Pebbles? :shock:
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

Would the climactic scene of the novel do? I could try to post that.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Someone actually climaxes in your book?

Sure, post the sex scene! :P
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

:roll: That's not what I meant but whatever.

Actually there is a paragraph where you can get chanilover to point out some key words and you can have a good laugh.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

OK! Be a honey and post that, too. Along with the climax (ungh!) of The Beast of Roc-Roc. :)
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Nebiros wrote:Would the climactic scene of the novel do? I could try to post that.
Yeah sure, I'll take a look at it.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Wow, the enthusiasm is really inspiring.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Nebiros

Climactic scene

Post by Nebiros »

Here is the scene. Have I indulged you enough?

Everyone gathered around where I had poined out the smell of fire. We all waited exitedly in anticipation of what might come next.

“Everyone stand back. Danchess you, Officer Palar and I will see what’s on the other side of these roots. The hole is too narrow for more of us to go in and perhaps there are other escape routes so the rest of you stay here and encircle this tree” I said speaking like a true leader. Everyone nodded in agreement. While the team took a few steps back, I pushed aside some roots. Immediately the smell of a wet fire was getting stronger. Before going in I dropped my backpack to the ground to be more prepared for what might be awaiting us. Then moving slowly we entered what looked like a grotto but with roots hanging from the ceiling. Utter darkness came over us when the roots closed behind us, but fortunately Yosan was clever enough to immediately open them again so we could still have some back light, although this would soon be gone as well with the last sun rays moving more horizontal with each minute as we descended. I held my flashlight ready for any surprise movement. Danchess was pushing and directing the police officer. We had to duck our heads often. I could feel the chill of fear and the burning anticipation of what was to come. The air inside was getting hot and breathing was ever slightly more difficult. There was the smell of soil that hampered our breating with fungal fumes.

After only about five meters of descending the hole into the slope on which the giant fig tree with its many aerial and fine roots was growing, it became rather spacious. Using a few flashes of light from different positions moving my hand from left to far right in case anyone might shoot at me, I discovered the hole was a tunnel that went down a further twenty meters or so. Then after a turn to the left, I thought I could see a small fire burning. Some shadows were dancing on the walls and I could feel the hot air passing close underneath the ceiling of this cave. What a cave, covered by a fig tree and its natural roots! The perfect hiding place for the monster of Rok-rok!

“Danchess I think I see someone in there. He might be dangerous so I will need to be armed.” I whispered. “Can I hold your machete?”

“No I am better at handling it than you so you better take my strong walking stick” he said me his stick which was made of a large piece of sugar palm wood. Holding the stick in me sweaty hands I proceeded towards the fire, carefully setting one foot in front of the other on the slippery mud of the cave.

Now I could see it! A ragged bunch of fibers and hair crouched next to the fire whose smoke went straight up as if there was a draft of wind fueling the fire. Indeed there had to be more tunnels. I could see some cooking pans next to the fire and some firewood leaning against the wall of the cave. The ragged figure seemed not to have noticed us. Now I could even smell the filthy body odor and the smell of rotten teeth!

Then I noticed something. The guy was holding a skull in his hands! This was him! The monster, the killer and the legend! This was the deciding moment. I lifted the stick and approached him from behind to knock him out…

“You leave my brother alone!” shouted the police officer all of a sudden and broke free from Danchess’s grip on his shoulder and though he had his hands tied behind his back, managed to kick Danchess in the shin vigorously. Stupidly I directed my flashlight towards Danchess and the officer almost blinding Danchess, so I could see Danchess attack the officer with a wild punch in the face knocking him out instantly.

“Aaaaahhhh! Shit!” I shouted as a horrible scream mixed with demonic laughter of a very sick person pierced the air at the same time an awfully smelly and sharp clawed hand held my neck from behind. I felt a sharp kick from a knee in my back. The monster got me! My borrowed flashlight fell to the ground and went off! I swung my elbow backwards and felt that I had struck something soft. I grabbed the clawed hand holding my neck and using my shoulder I did a judo throw pulling the monster over me with incredible strength enabled by my adrenaline rush that made me feel no pain.

SMACK!!! A sickening sound of a body hitting the wall hard resonated through the cave. Then…silence. Just the heavy breathing of me and I hoped Danchess. I heard footsteps, then I saw Danchess taking a torch from the fire and come back towards me. Good guy, quick thinking.

Now we could assess the situation. The policeman was lying on his back with a bleeding nose and his eyes wide open. That was some knockout punch Danchess had delivered! Danchess then directed the torch towards the wall. A body was lying face down in the mud, covered by dirty ragged cloths and a wild bush of hair. We quickly turned around the body only to note a dirt covered face hardly recognizable as being human in the torch light. The eyes were rolling and we could see that he was not totally unconscious. Danchess and I decided to tie him up and pull the policeman out first. He was in bad shape and we had to make sure he was not going to die on us here in this dark cave.

When we managed to get through the roots again, sweating profusely having pulled the fat officer uphill in the slippery cave, I asked Yosan and some of the group to pull out the monster. I could see from their eyes that they did not feel comfortable at all with my request and that they were not so sure of my reassurance that the monster was now harmless after my Olympic throw and Danchess and I having had him tied up. So once more I gathered whatever strength I had left in me and together with Yosan pulled out the ragged monster.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hawt. :D

"The monster got me!"

That's the sex bit, right? :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Climactic scene

Post by SandChigger »

How about a blast from the past? :)
Nebiros wrote:Everyone gathered around where I had ... exitedly ... come....

“The hole is too narrow for more of us to go in...” I said.... ... While ... I pushed ... the smell ... was getting stronger. Before going in I dropped ... to the ground to be more prepared.... Then moving slowly ... entered what looked like a grotto but ... came ... when the roots closed behind ... moving more horizontal.... I held my "flashlight" ready.... ... pushing and directing the ... duck ... often. I could feel the ... burning anticipation ... to come. The ... inside was getting hot and ... the smell of ... fungal fumes.

After only about five meters ... the hole ... was growing ... became rather spacious. Using a few ... different positions moving my hand from left to far right in case anyone might shoot ... I discovered the hole was a tunnel that went down a further twenty meters or so. ... I could feel the hot air passing close underneath.... What a cave ... The perfect hiding place for the monster...!

“Danchess....” I whispered. “Can I hold your...”

“No I am better at handling it than you....” he said .... Holding the stick in me sweaty hands I proceeded ... carefully setting one ... in front of the other on the slippery....

Now I could see it! ... hair ... I could ... even smell the filthy body odor and the smell of rotten teeth!

Then ... I lifted the stick and approached him from behind to....

“Aaaaahhhh! Shit!” I shouted as ... an awfully smelly and sharp clawed hand held my ... behind. ... The monster got me! My ... "flashlight" ... ground and went off! I swung ... backwards and felt ... something soft. I grabbed the clawed hand ... pulling the monster over me....

... Then ... Just the heavy breathing of me and I hoped Danchess. I ... saw Danchess ... come.... Good guy, quick....

Now we could assess ... The policeman was ... wide open ... lying face down in the mud, covered by dirty ragged cloths and a wild bush of hair. We ... could see that he was not totally unconscious ... decided to tie him up ... first....

...sweating profusely ... I asked Yosan and some of the group to "pull out the monster." I could see from their eyes that they did not feel comfortable at all with my request.... So once more I ... "pulled out the ragged monster."
:laughing:

(Chanilover could probably have done a much better job, of course. ;) )
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Ahhh, memories. :lol:
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros