Chakobsa and Bhotani Jib

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

chanilover

Chakobsa and Bhotani Jib

Post by chanilover »

So I'm reading Dune again and this language is described as a so-called magnetic language.

What do you think that means?
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Chakobsa and Bhotani Jib

Post by SandChigger »

It's about as meaningful as the "a mirabhasa language, honed phalange consonants and joined vowels" found later in Messiah.

In other words, not very. :dance:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

In the interest of being slightly more helpful... ;)

Have you checked the Chakobsa article in The Dune Encyclopedia?

Or the short article on this page, by Alan S. Kaye, Ph.D. and John Quijada, who also wrote the Fremen language article in the DE?

They have a rather interesting interpretation of "magnetic": "...the first Bhotani Assassins had a mutant physical characteristic by which they were able to seek out their enemies via the natural magnetic and piercing eyes for which they have been justifiably depicted in later artistic and sculptural works."

(N.B. Kaye passed on last year or the year before, but Quijada is still active in the conlanger community. When I contacted him about their articles in the DE, he said that they had had no direct input from Frank Herbert himself, so all of their work and interpretations are original.)
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Can you summarise the article for me, I was just sort of wondering, I can't be bothered reading it all.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

chanilover wrote:Can you summarise the article for me, I was just sort of wondering, I can't be bothered reading it all.
Maybe later, can't be arsed at the moment. ;)

(It's not all THAT long, really. But it is fanfic, that didn't make it into the DE even, and I'm not overly impressed with it.)
lotek

Post by lotek »

I was fascinated by the idea of a secret language as a kid, so reading about Chakobsa(or even House battle language) was cool)

One quick search on Google always being worth a try, I type the words "magnetic language" and the last link is a Google book:
Athanasius KIRCHER "The Last Man Who Knew Everything"
The link
Now that's already a good title!

I have many things to do today so I just have time to find and mark it, but I will try to see if there is some relevancy to your question, Chanilover :)

briefly it speaks of cryptography and machine language, funny coincidence.

It has this quote form Peirce(all right another google search then..)
"Every machine is a reasoning machine, in so much as there are certain relations between its parts, which relations involve other relations that were not expressly intented."
Peirce, "Logical Machines"
Now that's a thing FH could have said or used don't you think?

nb: I just hope I did not go too much off course from the original question with this!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

At last! Another answer in my FLOP thread. :lol:
lotek

Post by lotek »

glad to be of assistance(though even if I do speak decent english I'm not sure what a flop thread is_apart from the obvious)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

Chakobsa is an actual language, as noted here. It's worthwhile to read the entire thread, as it ventures into how "hunting languages" arise amongst superstitious cultures.