Physical Geography of Arrakis

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Deliverator

Physical Geography of Arrakis

Post by Deliverator »

I have some assorted questions coming out of the Dune mod for Civilization 4 that I and others are working on (http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=358).

1) What are the poles of Arrakis actually like? Is there a Martian style ice cap or is there no ice on the surface whatsoever?
2) What sorts of minerals are there literary evidence for in Frank Herbert's books? Are any or all of the following list evidenced or plausible : Crystal, Quartz, Iron Ore, Sulfur, Borax, Nitrates, Diamonds?
3) Is the Stravidium used to make Plasteel found on Arrakis?
4) Any ideas what the Baradye in a Baradye Pistol is made from?
5) Is Spice Honey made by bees (it's a fair guess I suppose)?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Physical Geography of Arrakis

Post by Freakzilla »

Deliverator wrote:I have some assorted questions coming out of the Dune mod for Civilization 4 that I and others are working on (http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=358).

1) What are the poles of Arrakis actually like? Is there a Martian style ice cap or is there no ice on the surface whatsoever?
There is a small north polar ice cap that is mined for water, see the polar map in Dune.
2) What sorts of minerals are there literary evidence for in Frank Herbert's books? Are any or all of the following list evidenced or plausible : Crystal, Quartz, Iron Ore, Sulfur, Borax, Nitrates, Diamonds?
I believe basalt is the only type of rock mentioned so quartz is a possibility. But nothing but spice is worth mining for.
3) Is the Stravidium used to make Plasteel found on Arrakis?
Nothing is mined on Arrakis besides melange. I doubt stavidium grows there.
4) Any ideas what the Baradye in a Baradye Pistol is made from?
No.
5) Is Spice Honey made by bees (it's a fair guess I suppose)?
I assume it's made by mixing bee's honey with melange.

Arrakis is valuable only as the only source of spice, beyond that it is a wasteland.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: Physical Geography of Arrakis

Post by Omphalos »

Freak's right, of course. You are going to have to change the facts a bit to support trade. Either that or lower the amount of trade goods to things like water and a very few others.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!