Length of day on Arrakis

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Length of day on Arrakis

Post by SandChigger »

Oh, I've been convinced that some crap like that has been in the works the whole time. ;)

They claim (well, KJA claimed, thru his DN BBS mouthpiece Byron) that that epigraph was found among FH's notes and they just included it because it "sounded cool" or some BS like that. That's always possible, but doesn't it seem more likely there was some ulterior motive behind it?
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

The axis of spin for the planet Arrakis is at right angles to the radius of its orbit. The world itself is not a globe, but more a spinning top somewhat fat at the equator and concave toward the poles. There is a sense that this may be artificial, the product of some ancient artifice.
—Report of the Third Imperial Commission on Arrakis
This sentences don't make scientifically sense at all!

Don't exist right spin axis angle for a determined orbital radius! Normally the spin angle of a planet is related with his formation conditions. Maybe they are talking about rotational synchronization of the planet with the star, but that wouldn't be related with the tilt of the axis, would be related with the period!

The second sentence is wrong in so many levels! A planet is naturally "oblated" by his rotation!It's the natural shape of equilibrium.
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Dude, what are you SAYING?! :shock: Don't you KNOW that Kevin has a degree in astrophysics?!

;) :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

That's what I was just thinking as I read that - hey, you know what other planet isn't a globe? EARTH. And, oh.... ALL of them that spin. :lol:

As for the concave at the top bit that pretty much is gibberish, sounds like they meant to try to explain extra clearly that it bulges around it's equator and is flatter at the poles, and they just litterally forgot what the word "concave" means.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:That's what I was just thinking as I read that - hey, you know what other planet isn't a globe? EARTH. And, oh.... ALL of them that spin. :lol:

As for the concave at the top bit that pretty much is gibberish, sounds like they meant to try to explain extra clearly that it bulges around it's equator and is flatter at the poles, and they just litterally forgot what the word "concave" means.
I saw an episode of How The Earth Was Made the other day that claimed the top of North America was sunken in from the weight of the glaciers... but that's a far cry from concaved.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

welllll .... he's got a certificate of attendance from the university of wisconsin
(madison) extension co-op campus (lake wobegone office) ... and I got a tin star
says I'm a Texas Ranger ... wish in one hand, shit in the other - you still cain't
buy a cup of coffee at Alice's Restaurant .... cain't dance, too wet to plow ...

&etc.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

You can get a great cuppa, you just cain't get Alice.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:welllll .... he's got a certificate of attendance from the university of wisconsin
(madison) extension co-op campus (lake wobegone office) ... and I got a tin star
says I'm a Texas Ranger ... wish in one hand, shit in the other - you still cain't
buy a cup of coffee at Alice's Restaurant .... cain't dance, too wet to plow ...

&etc.
In my experience, Certificates of Attendance are what they give when they don't want you to have a Certificate of Completion that you can actually use. Especially so you can't take it to another employer, for example.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

SandRider wrote:cain't dance, too wet to plow ...
I thought she saw the doctor and got that cleared up... ??? :?