Here's to you Frank....

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

trang

Here's to you Frank....

Post by trang »

Just a little thread to offer homage and thanks to the man who brought us Dune. Feels like
dont say that enough sometimes.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Schu

Re: Here's to you Frank....

Post by Schu »

Thanks Frank. No author has brought me as much joy as you have.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Thanks for the books, Frank... :handgestures-thumbupright:
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I hope he's huggable.

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Ampoliros wrote:I hope he's huggable.

Best...pic...evar.... :)
Schu

Post by Schu »

Dude's way huggable.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Thanks, Frank. Books like yours are the reason I read.

HBJ
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

FRANK thank you for everything except Brian.
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Freakzilla wrote:Image
Hey, Kevin, look!

A real writer ... and he's sitting at an actual device for putting words onto paper!!!

Maybe you should try it sometime, you fucking insufferable hack.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I thought the same thing when I posted that picture, but I knew someone else would say it. :)

Keith doesn't have time to be slowed down by stupid crap like spelling and gramar, he's a storyteller!

:puke:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Thanks Frank, even after your death your books continue to change people, including me. Here's to one of the very best authors and thinkers in all of mankind's recorded history.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

SwordMaster wrote:FRANK thank you for everything except Brian.
:bow-blue: :bow-yellow:
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Ampoliros wrote:I hope he's huggable.

I bet his dinner is somewhere in that beard.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

That's where the real outline is hidden. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Brian: there's one thing Frank had that you will never have.....

...a great big bushy beard.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

DuneFishUK wrote:Brian: there's one thing Frank had that you will never have.....

Has his face been depilitated or something? :?
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Freakzilla wrote:
DuneFishUK wrote:Brian: there's one thing Frank had that you will never have.....

Has his face been depilitated or something? :?

evidently... ever seen him with a FH beard? :shock:

Frank inspires me to read and imagine... and grow a beard. :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Odd ... was just talking to Mr Teg on the phone and the subject of Brian's testicles probably having retracted back to their pre-puberty, undescended position (up somewhere near his tonsils?) happened to come up. :shock:

Anyway, this is such a weird thread. (Sorry, Trang! ;) )

While I would lay flowers on Frank Herbert's grave in tribute to his memory, I would feel very silly indeed posting something addressing him directly. He's gone and is no more. I'll continue to show my appreciation by reading and re-reading his books and mocking the fools who cheapen his legacy for their own gain (and the even bigger fools who support them).
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

Yes, thank you Frank. Dune is an important part of my life.
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

I was a friend of Frank, he taught me to think. I think.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

SandChigger wrote:Odd ... was just talking to Mr Teg on the phone and the subject of Brian's testicles probably having retracted back to their pre-puberty, undescended position (up somewhere near his tonsils?) happened to come up. :shock:
Not a sentence to take out of context, methinks.
SandChigger wrote:While I would lay flowers on Frank Herbert's grave in tribute to his memory, I would feel very silly indeed posting something addressing him directly. He's gone and is no more. I'll continue to show my appreciation by reading and re-reading his books and mocking the fools who cheapen his legacy for their own gain (and the even bigger fools who support them).
Spoilsport. :P

HBJ
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

Thanks Frank,

"So you were born,
and that was a good day.
One day you died,
and that was a shame.

But somewhwew in the between,
you wrote the books that made us all dream.
And nothing and no one can ever take that away."

Not even those two...
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

EULOGY TO FRANK HERBERT.
FRANK HERBERT 1920 - 1986

by Willis E. McNelly

I like to think that when Frank Herbert died last February 11, he murmured the Litany against Fear: "I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings obliteration, I will face my fear."

He had known for some time that he had pancreatic cancer, an almost invariably fatal, rapidly spreading form of that fearsome disease. He had a few months to meet his fear, enough time to seek out the newest medical breakthroughs; time even to sign new contracts, make plans as if the word "cancer" had never entered his vocabulary; perhaps time to die with equanimity. As a life-long student of the psychology of C. G. Jung, he also knew that death is an inexorable part of the structure of life. He well realized that both life and death are Jungian polarities. "We begin to die from the moment of conception," he once told me, stating the old truth as if it were fresh and new. For him -- indeed for all of us -- it IS new, for each person must discover that truth for him/herself and learn that however mortality or immortality treats us, flesh will fade.
Frank had learned that secret decades ago, and I like to think that he approached his end without fear, faced it with composure.

It is something of the measure of his success as a writer that virtually every major paper in the country printed an extensive obituary. Some dutifully repeated the AP dispatch sent over the wires from the Madison Wisconsin hospital where he died, but others carried a more detailed story. Even the papers of the Eastern Establishment -- the Baltimore Sun, the New York Times and the Washington Post -- carried no mere canned wire service obits but lengthy memoirs written by journalists who knew his work well. These writers neither condescended to him or science fiction nor praised him beyond his merits or accomplishments. Frank would have appreciated this little fact. A journalist himself, he had a passion for the truth, and when facts -- or a life, even his life -- are presented with objectivity, he would have been satisfied.

Not that he was dispassionate or completely objective himself. Far from it. Anyone who ever met Frank for more than two minutes knows how strongly he felt about so many things -- good wine, wind power, ecology, scuba diving, aerial photography, computers , the environment, solar heating -- the list is virtually endless. He also had the capacity of instantly charming those who listened to him. For he loved to talk. Lord, how he loved to talk -- to fellow writers, to interviewers, to fans, to his friends, his family, large audiences, small groups. His voice -- a voice that at first meeting seemed too highly pitched for this bearded bear of a man -- was rich, resonant, full of intensity. It was at times questioning, even querulous. At other times it was al most pontifical, and indeed he sometimes seemed to voice his opinions as if they were ex cathedra pronunciamentos.

Yet for all of his success both as an writer and as an apologist for causes he held dear, he never took himself too seriously. He could poke fun at himself too, knowing full well that the human tendency to follow heroes was a constant cause of trouble throughout history. "If you want to follow me as a guru," he often said, "come with me to Guyana and you can have the Kool Aid concession."

So much for heroes and feet of clay. His first great commercial success was "Dune", although even that book did not become a best seller until several years after its initial hard and paperback editions. We have all heard the story about how "Dune" was rejected by nearly twenty publishers, but which of us would like to be the editor who said "I might be making the mistake of the decade but . . ." and then went on to reject the novel. In 1968 he told me that he had made no more that eighteen or twenty thousand dollars from the book including the money Campbell paid him for first serial rights in "Analog." He was a working journalist even then, not devoting himself to full time science fiction writing until some years later when he could afford the luxury. The book and its sequels made him a lot of money eventually, of course. More importantly, the commercial success of "Dune" paved the way for large advances, bigger printings, best seller status, and heavy subsidiary sales for many other writers. Every member of the SFWA owes Frank Herbert and "Dune" considerable gratitude.

His first novel was published in "Astounding/Analog" under the name "Under Pressure." It wasn't the name he preferred. "Dragon in the Sea" was the title he liked best and he often spoke of it as "Good old Dragon." Yet anyone who read that mid-1950s book might well have recognized that incipient major talent at work. This early book provided no mere hint of what Herbert would later develop in "The Dune Chronicles." Rather, it is a fully developed, serious novel that still rates as one of his best. In it Herbert shows the same control of ideas, concepts, characters, and psychological insights combined with action-adventure that made "Dune" a masterpiece.

What strikes the reader who approaches the book today three decades after its writing is its contemporary tone. Its problems could well be those of the late 1980s; its ecological sense is current, and its psychological insights into problems faced by men at war are as real as those of the Vietnam POWs. The fullness of detail with which Herbert filled his "Twenty-first Century Sub" (still another title) reads like a blueprint for America's modern nuclear submarines. The novel is crammed with a careful consideration of modern problems such as the role of oil in a petroleum-starved world or the vexatious question of "security." He was proud of the book, particularly proud that submariners continually read it and wrote to him tell how well he had detailed their fears and hopes. "Dragon" also provides an early statement of the parable of life, death, and resurrection that so absorbed Herbert in "Dune" and its sequels. Citing the passage from Isaiah that gives the novel its name, one character says, "'In that day the Lord with his great and strong sword shall punish leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent, and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea.'"

When the dragon in all of us is slain, Herbert seems to be saying, then there shall be peace. That concept is most assuredly another Jungian notion. In the later novel, the dragon in the sea becomes the dragon in the sand ocean of Arrakis, Shai'Hulud, Old Father Eternity, the sandworm whose seed becomes melange, the spice which gives virtual eternal life.

This may not be the place to discuss "Dune" and the remainder of the "Chronicles." But it is surprising to realize the "Dune" was only Frank's second novel, although he wrote a dozen or more following it. Each of those later books has its own strengths - - and sometimes weaknesses -- but it is "Dune" by which we will all remember him. Campbell recognized it merits at first reading, but he also believed that Frank had written himself into a hole with his creation of Paul Muad'dib, the nearly omnipotent super-hero.

"Congratulations," he wrote Herbert,"you are the father of a 15-year superman! But I betcha you aren't gonna like it . . ." In this instance, at least, Campbell was wrong, for Herbert always claimed that it had never been his intention to create a genuine super-hero, a messiah who would save the world or the universe as the case may be. Instead it was his belief that heroes carry the seeds of their own destruction, that the consequences of our actions must always be considered before we undertake any action. In this belief he echoed Aristotle's notion of the tragic flaw, the "hamartia", the over-weaning pride that brings about its own destruction.

One of the many messages of "Dune" itself was that ecology is the science of understanding consequences. Few readers in fact, perceived that implicit concept in the novel, lost as they were in the intricacies of the story itself. Certainly they did not apply it to its sequels. "Where does Arrakis get its oxygen?" he asked. He then pointed out that, lacking any green plants, the planet has no chlorophyll base and hence no natural oxygen. Its atmosphere comes from the digestive process of the sandworm, and if you limit the sandworm by reintroducing water to the plant, you'll have an oxygen catastrophe on Arrakis. He never wrote about it though, perhaps feeling that he wanted to concentrate on melange -- still another by-product of the sandworm -- and what its diminution would do to the known universe. He wanted to talk about the uses and abuses of power. Melange was merely his instrument for telling that story of corruption. Nonetheless he felt that the oxygen problem would have been an inevitable conse quence of the ecological redemption of Arrakis. Ideas have consequences, he often said, and he pursued his ideas in book after book.

Critics have often carped at some of his later books, saying that portions of those novels often read like extended orations. For him the act of writing was not quite identical to sending a message, certainly, but he saw no reason not to embed ideas into the structure of what he wrote. It's a fine line as many of us know, and if he occasionally slipped over the edge and became too talky, the sermonic tone may be the result of his fiercely held opinions. Yet he was always aware that he had to compete in the marketplace, fight for the couple of bucks someone might shell out for one of his books before boarding a plane. It was a competition he gloried in, because when all is said and done, he was an entertainer, not a prophet or a guru; entertain us he certainly did.

His sense of scene was almost unequaled, and some very well- drawn characters people his books. Jessica remains one of the very best science-fiction portraits of a woman, and the various Idahos, Atreides, and even the villainous Harkonnens will long be remembered.
I earlier referred to Frank as a bearded bear of a man. True, he shaved that beard a couple of years ago revealing a Walter Cronkite-like cragginess under those smiling, penetrating eyes, but the beard seemed a part of him even after it was gone. Most of us will remember him as the bearded raconteur.

In the end it seemed that Frank approached all of God's creation as if it were magically beautiful, yet he could also warn us that unless we understood the full consequences of our actions, we might be in for serious trouble. An eternal optimist, he never really believed it though.
R.I.P.

Frank Patrick Herbert 1920-1986
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

That was a great Eulogy.
~Pink Snowman