This Mother's Day give a copy of Dune to your mother...

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

cmsahe

This Mother's Day give a copy of Dune to your mother...

Post by cmsahe »

page 433, Ace paperback edition,
Jessica to Paul:
"Paul...I want you to do something for me: choose the course of happines. Your desert woman, marry her if that's your wish. Defy everyone and everything to do this. But choose your own course. I..."

:think:
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Re: This Mother's Day give a copy of Dune to your mother...

Post by SwordMaster »

My mom was who gave me my first copy of dune and also foundation triligy. the woman has good taste
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

My mom probably hates Dune since it was one of the main influences that turned me away from religion.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Freakzilla wrote:My mom probably hates Dune since if was one of the main influences that turned me away from religion.
But you still are "CHRISTIAN"?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SwordMaster wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:My mom probably hates Dune since if was one of the main influences that turned me away from religion.
But you still are "CHRISTIAN"?

Hell no.

I'm agnostic-deslexic... I'm not sure if I believe in dog.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Then it must sort of piss you off when uber right wing Christains claim America is a Christain nation?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SwordMaster wrote:Then it must sort of piss you off when uber right wing Christains claim America is a Christain nation?
It doesn't pis me off, many of the founding fathers were christian, some weren't, but I think they miss the point. We are supposed to be free to follow whatever religion we choose as long as it doesn't violate the rights of others.

I'm not even sure what the point of their argument is.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:
SwordMaster wrote:Then it must sort of piss you off when uber right wing Christains claim America is a Christain nation?
It doesn't pis me off, many of the founding fathers were christian, some weren't, but I think they miss the point. We are supposed to be free to follow whatever religion we choose as long as it doesn't violate the rights of others.

I'm not even sure what the point of their argument is.
Neither are they. It's all pretty much one big hate-filled vowel movement. At least from the vocal ones.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:
It doesn't pis me off, many of the founding fathers were christian...
Which ones? I didn't think that any were.

Also, my mom has tried to read Dune a few times but just can't seem to get past the 1st chapter. We haven't spoken since.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Nekhrun wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
It doesn't pis me off, many of the founding fathers were christian...
Which ones? I didn't think that any were.
Lambert (2003) has examined the religious affiliations and beliefs of the Founders. Some of the 1787 delegates had no affiliation. The others were Protestants except for three Roman Catholics: C. Carroll, D. Carroll, and Fitzsimons. Among the Protestant delegates to the Constitutional Convention, 28 were Church of England (Episcopalian, after the Revolutionary War was won), eight were Presbyterians, seven were Congregationalists, two were Lutherans, two were Dutch Reformed, and two were Methodists, the total number being 49. Some of the more prominent Founding Fathers were anti-clerical or vocal about their opposition to organized religion, such as Thomas Jefferson[10][11] (who created the "Jefferson Bible"), and Benjamin Franklin[12]. However, other notable founders, such as Patrick Henry, were strong proponents of traditional religion. Several of the Founding Fathers considered themselves to be deists or held beliefs very similar to that of deists.[13]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Founding_F ... s#Religion
~Pink Snowman
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

America is/was the salvation of the entire world because of free religon, i would love for you guys to keep it that way!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I won't be happy until they teach about the Flying Spaghetti Monster in public schools. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I believe in the spaghetti monster, but I don't believe it flies.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

GamePlayer wrote:I believe in the spaghetti monster, but I don't believe it flies.
That's what he wants you to believe. You see, you have been touched by His noodely appendage.
~Pink Snowman
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

My mom claims she read Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune back when they were topping the charts. I've urged her to read them again, and then continue onto God Emperor, but she seems disinterested.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:I won't be happy until they teach about the Flying Spaghetti Monster in public schools. :wink:
They do :wink:
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

It's called Jesus EIOOOOOOOOOO :lol: Nah, i'm just kidding. :pray:
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
trang

Post by trang »

my mother gave birth to me, raised me till I was old enough that she realized I was smarter than her in just about everyway... kinda been downhill since then. Dont talk.. dont care.. um.. I just try to be civil and keep it at that.

Told father about it, he was very smart man, loved him more than life itself and vice versa, but had disdain for Sci-fi.. very down to earth real life type. He listened though and understood which I appreciated him for. Shared many other things though.

If you have the relationship though.. by all means share.

As for founders and religion.. I think its more about a moral and ethical foundation with freedom to choose than specifically religion. I know the majority had high regard for separation of church and state.. but that never became an official policy if I recall correctly, Law I mean. As I dont believe "One Nation under God" is official or a law... even though its on the money we use.
Actually seems to be a kind of "have cake and eat it to", I could be wrong.

I believe in the right to believe the way you choose, dont bore or impose on others.

that about covers it I think.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."