Movie News!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Drunken Idaho

Movie News!

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Hey guys, a friend sent me this news update on the new Dune film:

http://io9.com/5220753/dune-remake-coul ... enlit-soon
io9.com wrote:The most highly anticipated remake may be Peter Berg's Dune movie. We got a chance to ask producer Kevin Misher about the status of Dune and inquire, will the blue eyes remain intact?

I hear you are working on Dune with director Peter Berg, why did you want to get involved with that?

It's one of my favorite books of all time, and I made a movie with Pete called The Rundown, which people seemed to like a little bit, so we decided to get back together. Pete had loved the book as well. It's a great opportunity for us.

So is this a reboot with better FX, or a remake? Or what?

Reboot, let's call it a reboot.

Are they still going to have the blue spice-eye?

Yes, of course. Spice is part of the book.

Where are you guys right now in the process?

We're working on the script right now. We're going to turn it in shortly. The script is coming in, we're hoping to get a green light shortly.

So it sounds like all systems are still go on Dune, and the producers may be ready to start talking about locations, cast and budget in the near future. I have extremely high hopes for Peter Berg, and feel like this could be the epic tale that'll set him apart. Or it could be a cult classic but critically panned Chronicles of Riddick disaster. Fingers crossed for the former.

Until then you'll have to check out Misher's Fighting, in theaters this Friday.
Looks like the script is done, which basically means the movie's fate is sealed for better or worse. If they screwed up the script, then the whole project is fracked from the getgo. I remain hopeful, however.

Although I don't think the term "reboot" accurately describes it. It's just an adaptation. I don't think there's enough of a following from the first film to call it a reboot.

And check out this idiot:
reddingofish wrote:David Lynch is going to be Piiiiiissssdd oooofff.
When are they going to do a reboot of Star Wars A New Hope. It is long over due. What about It's a Wonderful Life? Hugh Jackman would be great for it.
:violence-shootself:
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
GamePlayer
70mm God

Re: Movie News!

Post by GamePlayer »

:angry-screaming:

Listening to Misher and Berg talk of Dune is shredding the few nerves I have left for this subject. They have not a fucking clue. It's like listening to a pair of frat boys vomit the action movie virtues of Fight Club, meanwhile missing the entire point. :roll:
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Don't you usually have to reboot after a patch? so calling this a reboot with KJA attached basically means we'll see his greasy fingerprints on the end result. the only place this movie can succeed is visually, but since every other part of it is pretty much guaranteed to fail, I'm not holding my breath.

Hey, maybe KJA and Becca will get a cameo as a Navigator.

I mean lets look at what tropes Hollywood will want to put into Dune in order to make it sell. Spice Orgy = fuckfest, Paul + Chani get it on. Violence and EXPLOSIONS with cool tech gear. I imagine the chase scene with Paul and Jessica in the Ornithopter will be much more EXPLOSIVE and less tense.

Tons of fremen fight scenes. Weirding way as super-awesome martial arts. More chase scenes.

Again, hopefully we'll see some decent sets and cgi. i hope they at least try to create a cool ornithopter and don't just say thopter=jet.

Plus they will have to come up with a unique appearance for the worms.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

A few months ago, I held out some hope that this movie wouldn't be God-awful ... that's pretty much over now.

In fact, I'll now say for the record that I hope, with every cell in my body, that this movie is a complete failure. If there's any single thing that has the potential to actually wake someone up at the HLP, it would be a disastrous movie. If there's a shred of hope that the Herbert family would ever show enough backbone to fire TheKJA, it would come right after he managed to "executive produce" a bomb.

Plus, think of the fun of TheKJA attempting to explain away all of the negative reviews. Think of him trying to convince himself that all of those critics are just haters. And, unlike his McDune books, which seem to generate almost no reviews whatsoever, a Dune movie would be reviewed in lots and lots of places.

Oh, sweet baby Jesus, I'm on my knees praying for the new Dune movie to be a disaster ...

+++++

And, no, I'm absolutely not worried at all about Frank Herbert's "legacy" or what a bad movie might "do to his reputation." FH's legacy is set in stone; no movie, good or bad, will ever change that.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Ampoliros wrote:I imagine the chase scene with Paul and Jessica in the Ornithopter will be much more EXPLOSIVE and less tense.
To be fair, the Harkonnens were firing machine guns at them.
Tons of fremen fight scenes. Weirding way as super-awesome martial arts. More chase scenes.
Think they'll leave out the scene where the fremen thopter-jack a Harkonnen ride and dive it into a Sardaukar troop thopter?

:wink:

I don't see the martial arts and excessive fight scenes as a bad thing, it's better than weirding modules and emphasizes the Fremen value to Paul and Jessica.

How about when Duncan plants a shield in the desert and the persuing Harkonnens hit it with a lasgun?
Again, hopefully we'll see some decent sets and cgi. i hope they at least try to create a cool ornithopter and don't just say thopter=jet.
That alone would be a significant achievement in aerospace design more than in film. :shock:
Plus they will have to come up with a unique appearance for the worms.
Why? Because no one else has yet?

I didn't understand why Lynch's worms had lips... like a penis with a vulva on the end of it.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

GamePlayer wrote::angry-screaming:

Listening to Misher and Berg talk of Dune is shredding the few nerves I have left for this subject. They have not a fucking clue. It's like listening to a pair of frat boys vomit the action movie virtues of Fight Club, meanwhile missing the entire point. :roll:
:lol:

I don't know... Mischner seems like he might get it a little more than Berg.

He said, "Spice is part of the books". It gave me hope that he's read the series by using the plural.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

TheDukester wrote:A few months ago, I held out some hope that this movie wouldn't be God-awful ... that's pretty much over now.

In fact, I'll now say for the record that I hope, with every cell in my body, that this movie is a complete failure. If there's any single thing that has the potential to actually wake someone up at the HLP, it would be a disastrous movie. If there's a shred of hope that the Herbert family would ever show enough backbone to fire TheKJA, it would come right after he managed to "executive produce" a bomb.

Plus, think of the fun of TheKJA attempting to explain away all of the negative reviews. Think of him trying to convince himself that all of those critics are just haters. And, unlike his McDune books, which seem to generate almost no reviews whatsoever, a Dune movie would be reviewed in lots and lots of places.

Oh, sweet baby Jesus, I'm on my knees praying for the new Dune movie to be a disaster ...

+++++

And, no, I'm absolutely not worried at all about Frank Herbert's "legacy" or what a bad movie might "do to his reputation." FH's legacy is set in stone; no movie, good or bad, will ever change that.
I would only hope it fails if it will get rid of KJA. Even so, It would still bring in a few hopefull fans that can see the OH point of view and become FH fans. Our newest member who saw House Atriedes on display but read FH first gives me hope too and there aren't as many pretards out there as my recent past experience would have me believe.
~Pink Snowman
trang

Post by trang »

thanks for the update, helps to know whats going on. Misher involved doesnt really mean a whole lot to me. He and Berg are going to turn Dune into another "HOLLOWOOD" souless action event.

If they get the names of people, places, things right and the scenes represent in some sembelence the order and description in the book, it will survive. It will have no Soul. Ultimatly failing to all Herbert Faithful. The masses? hopefully will turn them onto it, if not, oh well.

If im not mistaken the folks from the Sci-Fi Mini series are involved in production, so might get some decent feel from it. Brian and Kevins role is minimal, a paperdrill at best.

AH Well we will see.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Freakzilla wrote:

He said, "Spice is part of the books". It gave me hope that he's read the series by using the plural.
Though I've obviously no way of proving it, that question sounds planted and the answer sounds rehearsed to elicit just that kind of reaction from hopeful fans.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I'm with TheDukester in praying for a MASSIVE FAIL, even if it turns people off Dune for a decade or two.

McDune must die! :evil:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
trang

Post by trang »

SandChigger wrote:I'm with TheDukester in praying for a MASSIVE FAIL, even if it turns people off Dune for a decade or two.

McDune must die! :evil:
Splitting hairs here I guess, but a remake of the movie Dune, from the classic original book wouldnt be McDune would it?Anything published by Brian/Kevin is McDune right?

Brian and Kevin didnt write the originals and that fact can never be denied. They have no insight to the originals, so there statements are useless. Even if Peter Burg is a butthead, and he turns a Movie from the original book, into predator meets alien, its still an homage failure to the original.

I am with you 1000 percent on wishing for the use of an obliterator on all things McDune. No matter how many books they write, they always have to refer back to the original that started it all, and they will NEVER escape that. People will be generally curious where all brian and kevins crap roots from, and when they read the original will be blown away and see the light, hopefully.

Any chance to bring to the forfront, Franks originals, I think is positive, sink or swim, just draws light to them.

I wish there was a way (we/they/whoever) could find someone in the Multimedia world know as Hollowood who, one has a frakking soul, two has a deep passion and understanding of the Originals, three could see the moderate success of the Sci-Fi miniseries, four take that and build upon it.

The Scifi Mini-Series is the best attempt to date to realize a visualized Dune. It had many problems, casting, continuity, etc, but was pretty dam decent. Taking that group, some really deep casting research, and refinement of the scripts for accuracy, continuity and so forth... I fully believe all six could be made and be decent.

We need to send warren buffet a copy of the originals and get him hooked, he has the money and time to spend on a project like this. It would not be for a commercial succes, more of an honoring to one the greatest writers of all time.

Im not gonna hold my breath, but ya never know.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

trang wrote:Any chance to bring to the forfront, Franks originals, I think is positive, sink or swim, just draws light to them.
Just to be clear, I have no problem at all with this. If this new movie convinces X number of people to think, "Based on the novel by Frank Herbert, huh? I think I'll go buy it and check out the original for myself," then that's a good thing, overall.

No, what I want, specifically, is for those people to still buy FH's work despite the movie being a massive, epic failure. I want the failure of the movie to lead directly to the banning of both executive producers from producing Dune-based work ever again in their lifetimes. At the very least, I'll settle for TheKJA being shown the door.

I want the stench of legendary, mind-boggling failure to follow both of those jackasses around forever.

Oh, and I want a cookie.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:cookie sm:

There's your cookie. :D

Just to be clear, I'm not saying I WANT the movie to put people off the originals, but if that's one of the unfortunate side-effects of a MASSIVE McDune-writer-killing FAIL, then it's still acceptable because FH's originals are good enough to survive a(nother) dry spell. The McDune books aren't; they'll be gone and forgotten in twenty years.

The Hacks Twain getting their names on the project in effect makes it a McDune thing, even though the movie is (purportedly) Dune.

That's why I want it to FAIL.

(B.B.: Why, to the Big Dust Bunny who lives under the bed of night ... who else would I pray to?! :shock: )
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

unfortunately I'm afraid the McDune-ness of the film will translate and many people won't bother to check out Frank's Dune.

lol here's a scary marketing thought: What if Kev offers to do the movie tie-in novelization!?!?
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Ampoliros wrote:
lol here's a scary marketing thought: What if Kev offers to do the movie tie-in novelization!?!?
Yes...and people will believe it is THE Dune novel they were talking about... :roll:
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Freakzilla wrote:

Ah, good catch. That is a little encouraging. It's pretty clear that the interviewer doesn't know much about Dune.

And as the movie failing, I would MUCH rather see the damned-good sci-fi epic that Frank deserves, rather then see it fail just so pinky and the brain look bad. My guess is their position is that of Associate Producers, which means they get to sit in on the meetings with the Executive producers, Line Producers, and the Producer, and have some input. Ultimately, the Exec can veto anything the Ass. Prods suggest. So hopefully they can keep those two idiots in line. With any luck, they meetings should go like this:

TheKJA: Who whoa, Zetumer really screwed up here... Paul Atreides had been to at least five planets before coming to Arrakis...

Mischner: STFU n00b.

And Amp, that very notion makes me sick to my stomach... Did LOTR come out with childrens' novelizations?

Oh, and Dukester, where is your avatar from? Power Rangers? And why does he have a flux capacitor in his chest?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Drunken Idaho wrote:And as the movie failing, I would MUCH rather see the damned-good sci-fi epic that Frank deserves, rather then see it fail just so pinky and the brain look bad.
Yeah, well, in a perfect world wouldn't we all? :roll: But with Berg as director, "Asshat Picker Fuckers 'R' Us" onboard, and a screenplay written by a newb who was assigned the project, not someone who came to the project and did it because he LOVES Dune ... how fucking likely is that?
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Rakis wrote:Yes...and people will believe it is THE Dune novel they were talking about... :roll:
Oh, lord, now I'm sad and upset. I hadn't considered this. But there's an extremely high chance something like this will happen; TheKJA could crank out one of those novelizations in about two hikes. It actually is a perfect match for his alleged "skills."

I have no response, other than to go into a dark closet with a bottle of Jack Daniel's, a loaded handgun, and a Pink Floyd CD.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Time for some mayhem on Twitter? :twisted:

Edit: Done. ;)
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Rakis wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:
Yes...and people will believe it is THE Dune novel they were talking about... :roll:

do y'all sit around thinking up these doomsday scenarios, or do they
come to you .... I couldn't begin to imagine such a horrible possibility,
but now that's been said, it seems obvious.

Chigger said somewhere awhile back that "McDune must die" and a movie
failure might turn off the public to all things Dune for awhile - this would be
okay with me. Frank & Dune drop out of the pop culture for 20 years, and
then one day one of your kids says, hey look, Dad, I found this neat old book
in the garage. Then y'all can get on the internet, or jack the plug into the
back of your head or whatever they'll come up with then, and post old man
grumpy rants & rages and instruct the youth. I'll be long dead by then, so
someone remember & mention me .....

and Chigger, stop stealing my schtick.
bad Chigger, no cookie.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I'll still be here...
~Pink Snowman
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

SandRider wrote:
Rakis wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:

do y'all sit around thinking up these doomsday scenarios, or do they
come to you .... I couldn't begin to imagine such a horrible possibility,
but now that's been said, it seems obvious.
Part of my job is to think about worst case scenarios... :wink:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Mine too.
~Pink Snowman
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

No, no, no...

The worst case scenario would be if they decide to let Byron direct the Dune film, and it's sequel "Paul of Dune: The Movie"
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Drunken Idaho wrote:No, no, no...

The worst case scenario would be if they decide to let Byron direct the Dune film, and it's sequel "Paul of Dune: The Movie"
:puke:

hey 'rider, we'll give you honourable mention when someday they have a hearing that declares the HLP's actions criminal and them unfit to manage the affairs of Dune.

and the rights get handed to the OH

ahh the dreams...
You mean we get to go hiking all the time and let monkeys write our books ? :P