Movie News!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: Movie News!

Post by Omphalos »

13athroom wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
13athroom wrote:anybody know anything about DUNE ENTERTAINMENT?
They seem to be THE source for hollywoods scifi sub-crap in the last few years.
anybody know if there is a herbert family association here?

I hope not, but since I dont know I have this lingering wonder... from what I can tell; these guys have been around since 2006. If i recall correctly 2006 or so is when these rumblings about the new Dune movie started.

http://www.dune-entertainment.com/
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-141493908.html
Doesn't appear to be an HLP thing. The HLP seems pretty greedy, and I don't know that they could come up with the amount of money that encyclopedia article attributes to them. But I looked at the CA Department of State website. It says that Dune Entertainment is a Delaware registered corporation that is certified to do business in CA. I was not able to get a list of principals off of the Delaware website. It says I was ten minutes too late and wont be available again until Monday.

This article says that Dune Entertainment is a subsidiary of something called Dune Capital Management. That company seems to be a hedge fund manager that operates in the U.S. and Europe. Its privately owned so there is no corporate paper I could find out there, but I imagine that it is regulated by the SEC. I don't know how those things are handled, so Im not sure where to look to find out.

I did a litigation search too and I also see something called "Dune Entertainment II," which appears to be another subsidiary of Dune Capital Management, though I cant confirm. They have been sued a LOT.

Dune Capital Management's phone number is 212-301-8400. If someone were to call, I doubt that Bryan would pick up.
that was a way-more indepth investigation than id hoped for... you dont happen to work for maury povich, do you?

good to know though. id hate to think that some of the money made from the original novels might have gone to fund the production of gems like ALIEN VS. PREDATOR: REQUIEM, ERAGON, X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE, and MAX PAYNE.
:lol: Sally Jesse.

Actually I do stuff like that for work all the time. Took me longer to write that up then it did to gather the information.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

Yes, for better or for worse. But I'm happy, we'll have a new soundtrack, a new Blu Ray movie to watch on a sunday afternoon, more pictures to download & more material to discuss about.

BTW your signature image is very small, I can barely see it. Have you shown it off on dunenovels?
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

cmsahe wrote:BTW your signature image is very small, I can barely see it. Have you shown it off on dunenovels?
For sure, but a canny wait to get one of his brollies. :)
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Update! I guess it comes in handy to stalk dunenovels.com's board. Look what I found:

http://rougewave.blogspot.com/2009/04/w ... tumer.html

It's an interview with Josh Zetumer and they talk about Dune! Here's the only part relevant to us:
Good morning, Wavers! And did everybody have a nice weekend? As the deadline approaches for the Silver Screenwriting Competition (May 1, mark it on your calendar!), Margaux Froley thought it would be a great time to get an update with Josh Zetumer. Josh will be dining with the Grand Prize winner this year, in case you forgot. So here's the latest:

It's been nearly a year since our last interview with Josh. He's been hard at work finishing DUNE and even had time to do rewrite work on Guy Ritchie's SHERLOCK HOLMES. Suffice it to say, Josh is still a "working screenwriter," and I might even venture to say he's one of those coveted Hollywood A-list writers. Despite his demanding schedule, Josh has agreed to have lunch with the Grand Prize winner of the Silver Screenwriting contest and answer a few questions for you Rouge Wavers.

Josh, last time we spoke you had just gotten the job for DUNE. At the time you mentioned your love of sandworms. After finishing a draft on that project, how do you feel about sandworms now?

Groan.

But really, that sounded like a very tough project to crack. How did adapting DUNE compare to writing something of your own on spec?

For me, this project was infinitely harder than a spec. I get to a point on most projects where I want to quit/have a near-panic attack. I'm beginning to realize, as horrible as that is, it's all part of the creative process. It's like an acid trip; it's fun, but you know that for at least a couple hours you're going to be fearing for your life. On DUNE this was especially intense. The book is amazing, but parts read like physics homework. There's so much terminology, and so much is internal - characters second-guessing each other, trying to gauge situations. The key for me was to keep saying, "What can I do visually to express this idea?" I feel like this is a pretty important question you should be asking yourself on every screenplay. Show not tell.

As to the sandworms, yeah I still love them. What's not to love? I'm just hoping they look cool onscreen.

If it was me interviewing the guy, I'd have about 5000 follow-up questions regarding Dune, but that's all this interviewer cared to ask about it.

I find it encouraging that he struggled with all the internal stuff. At least he acknowledges that the second-guessing and internal stuff is present, instead of it all flying right over his head.

I suppose I'm glad that he found the whole experience very difficult. If it was easy, then I would be concerned.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Yeah, I feel for anyone trying to write a screenplay for Dune. I also think that any Dune movie must necessarily be different enough from the book that it's likely to dissatisfy hard-core fans.

Although that doesn't mean you have to have Paul make it rain at the end. :(

HBJ
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

That's certainly much more encouraging than the halfwit nonsense spewed by Berg...
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Update - *insert Dune/vampire pun here, I'm stumped*

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/05/18/ma ... attleship/

It looks like Peter Berg has been spotted hanging out with "Twilight" star Robert Pattison... But why? Is he being groomed to star in Dune as Paul Atreides? He kind of has the look, but perhaps slightly too much of a pretty boy. Although, the Baron did seem to find Paul quite pretty, and besides we all know that Hollywood can't not cast attractive young actors into rebooted franchises. I haven't seen Twilight yet (and never wanted to until now) but I already like this guy better than Kyle McLachlan or Douche Face, based on looks alone.

On the other hand, according to the article they may also have been discussing "Battleship," based on the boardgame of the same name, which is truly pathetic. Apparently Ridley Scott is doing Monopoly... What will they adapt next, my shit?
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

A star is born :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Drunken Idaho wrote:What will they adapt next, my shit?
My Shit: The Epic Sequel to The Constipation

(starring Omph's toilet picture)
:doh:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

You love me! You really, really love me!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Somehow that picture never gets old. :lol:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hey, D.I. is back! :)

Where you been?
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Well truth be told, a good 85% of my posting is done while I'm at work, and for the last month or so I've actually been pretty steadily busy there... Heh, what recession?

But I've been creeping from time to time...
NotAbout

Post by NotAbout »

The REAL question about the movie:

Will it be better or worse than the miniseries/lynch version? I defiantly won't live up to the book, but if its an improvement on the other films thats something.

I don't have a clue myself...
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

NotAbout wrote:The REAL question about the movie:

Will it be better or worse than the miniseries/lynch version? I defiantly won't live up to the book, but if its an improvement on the other films thats something.

There is no way the new film will be better than either. They can't tell the story, they are ignoring the major reason's its "science fiction" and not fantasy, and they picked a director and co-producer who care more about sales and special effects than content. Visually is the only way this film will have any merit.

But they will ruin that with a cameo of KJA showing up as some Baron, or guild representative, or as fucking Stilgar himself...

Maybe his cameo will be as Shaddam IV. Or Young Indiana Bronso.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Ampoliros wrote:

There is no way the new film will be better than either. They can't tell the story, they are ignoring the major reason's its "science fiction" and not fantasy, and they picked a director and co-producer who care more about sales and special effects than content. Visually is the only way this film will have any merit.

But they will ruin that with a cameo of KJA showing up as some Baron, or guild representative, or as fucking Stilgar himself...

Maybe his cameo will be as Shaddam IV. Or Young Indiana Bronso.
I won't (pay to) watch it even if his name only appears in the credits. He didn't write Dune, he's not related to anyone who wrote Dune, he has no business even being a consultant because I have more Dune knowledge in my penis than he does in his whole body.

:x
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Ampoliros wrote:

Visually is the only way this film will have any merit.
I agree. The production design and the effects should be quite good given the budget. It's likely the only good thing that will come of this film, except perhaps for some performances based on casting. The script and themes sound like the substance will be absolute garbage.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

And I shan't be visiting your link. :naughty: