technopeasantry

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

chanilover

Re: technopeasantry

Post by chanilover »

Freakzilla wrote:Yeah, they didn't evolve from dinosaurs, they ARE dinosaurs.
They only attack birds of the same type. I threw some old bread out for them to eat and they started fighting over it. The sparrows (I think that's whay they are) attacked other sparrows over the bread but left the blackbirds alone, while the blackbirds attacked each other and left the sparrows alone. Weird.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

chanilover wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Yeah, they didn't evolve from dinosaurs, they ARE dinosaurs.
They only attack birds of the same type. I threw some old bread out for them to eat and they started fighting over it. The sparrows (I think that's whay they are) attacked other sparrows over the bread but left the blackbirds alone, while the blackbirds attacked each other and left the sparrows alone. Weird.
I have seen brown thrashers (our state bird) attack crows, hawk and falcons that were easily four times their size... and win.

I have seen crows attack cats.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

SandChigger - Thanks for being clear about your views on this.

"Fuck the earth" kind of says it all

I cant help you with that too, if you make a little hole in the ground and stick your dick in the dirt, you can actually fuck the earth. *thats a joke* BTW

Im not even an environmentalist but I think Frank had an idea here that is worth consideration and thought.

The two things I like most about it. If you know what a GPS does and understand how it works, you don’t need GPS anymore. Also the exercise itself of using your brain rather then a screen that tells you what to do, can also be valuable for your own brain to stay stimulated. This sort of example seems to repeat itself with a lot of our modern tech.
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SwordMaster wrote:SandChigger - Thanks for being clear about your views on this.

I cant help you with that too, if you make a little hole in the ground and stick your dick in the dirt, you can actually fuck the earth. *thats a joke* BTW

Im not even an environmentalist but I think Frank had an idea here that is worth consideration and thought.

The two things I like most about it. If you know what a GPS does and understand how it works, you don’t need GPS anymore. Also the exercise itself of using your brain rather then a screen that tells you what to do, can also be valuable for your own brain to stay stimulated. This sort of example seems to repeat itself with a lot of our modern tech.
I've heard the Army gives scouts GPS units now. I had to do it with a map, compass and protractor.

You're in bad shape if your scouts get lost.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Freakzilla wrote:
SwordMaster wrote:SandChigger - Thanks for being clear about your views on this.

I've heard the Army gives scouts GPS units now. I had to do it with a map, compass and protractor.

You're in bad shape if your scouts get lost.
Not quite the example I mean more or less those who now say "I cant drive down town without my GPS" its like man you cant be serious! We never had GPS 10 years ago, people could get around just fine. But also I bet the army wants the scouts to be able to stay effective if their GPS was to go down or be destroyed in combat etc. But I think its only fair the army give the men on the ground the best tech out there. But I would hope they do not "need" GPS to get around. The best of the SEALS and RANGERS can survive on twigs and tree bark for weeks. Im sure they can survive and get where they need to go without a GPS as well.

The scout gets lost scenario is a good example of absolute data becoming the reason why all actions after the failure are compund failures of the original fail.
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

There's a more common example of technology blunting intelligence: calculators.
Initially they were a great technological advancement because it allowed to make calculations (especialy the Graphic ones) that took us forever to make. Now we dont even practice maths with our minds anymore, we use it, in school at least, for even basic calculations. Just put the numbers in the machine and with the press of a button, the result shows up.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I don't even know my own phone number. :?
~Pink Snowman
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

It's surprising how many numbers you have to remember - phone numbers, PIN number for credit card, PIN number for cash point card, access number to log on to work computer, different access number to log on remotely. I'm pretty good at remembering numbers but I can never remember my mobile phone number. I suppose I've never had to dial it.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
chanilover wrote:It's surprising how many numbers you have to remember - phone numbers, PIN number for credit card, PIN number for cash point card, access number to log on to work computer, different access number to log on remotely. I'm pretty good at remembering numbers but I can never remember my mobile phone number. I suppose I've never had to dial it.

ya i'll usually dial out to my voicemail to remind myself of my number :P

i have so many damn work passwords too.. i've just memorized 3 different 14 digit strings of random characters for passwords so they're hard to crack and i always know it's one of those 3.
Honeywell makes us change our passwords every quarter and it can't even be similar to other paswords you've used in like the past year. It's getting tough for me to come up with ones I'll remember.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

At my last office job, my password was "password" for quite awhile. Finally, during some sort of routine security upgrades, the IT manager called me and asked me to change it. I was actually sort of sad ...
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

TheDukester wrote:At my last office job, my password was "password" for quite awhile. Finally, during some sort of routine security upgrades, the IT manager called me and asked me to change it. I was actually sort of sad ...
I made that the windows password on my kid's computer. They'll never guess it.
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Yeah, at my office we're on a 90 day password turnaround as well. And we can't repeat our last three passwords either. It's annoying! :D
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Seraphan wrote:There's a more common example of technology blunting intelligence: calculators.
Initially they were a great technological advancement because it allowed to make calculations (especialy the Graphic ones) that took us forever to make. Now we dont even practice maths with our minds anymore, we use it, in school at least, for even basic calculations. Just put the numbers in the machine and with the press of a button, the result shows up.
great example. and look, in Japan the DS has been a huge hit because of the Brain Games!
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Seraphan wrote:There's a more common example of technology blunting intelligence: calculators.
I have this exact problem. I once was able to do calculations quickly in my head but calculators have removed all that. Sometimes I have tried to do things in my head to try and get some of this ability back but when everything in the class is moving quickly I don't want to get left behind because I'm stuck on what should be a simple math problem. :mad:
Its quite frustrating.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

My password at work is 1234
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

If you need a GPS to drive then you should not be driving
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

SwordMaster wrote:If you need a GPS to drive then you should not be driving
No-one needs a GPS to drive but some may need one to drive to somewhere that their unfamiliar with.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Just in the process of reading The Jesus Incident; turns out Waela TaoLini is a child of technopeasants. Just thought it was interesting to know...
A fourteen-year old girl on a chicken farm. His job!
She thought about that girl she had been-child of emigrants, grubbers in the dirt. Technopeasants. Gaulish middle-class.
I broke away from that.
Its on page 137 where she is remembering conversations with Raja Flattery.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Have fun in the scream room. :o
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Don't worry, have read it before and I want more :twisted:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SadisticCynic wrote:Don't worry, have read it before and I want more :twisted:
Maybe you should be "MasochisticCynic". :P
~Pink Snowman
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Freakzilla wrote:Have fun in the scream room. :o
That shit gave me nightmares!
Schu

Post by Schu »

What's so unusual about priapic rapist midgets and a statue that fucks itsself?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Beats me. Sounds like just another Friday night around here.... :?: :?: :?: 8-)
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

SandChigger wrote:Beats me.
And you likes eet :)