Dune Graphic Novel in the Works?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Dune Graphic Novel in the Works?

Post by SandChigger »

From yet another egregious example of cyberfellation posing as an interview, linked to from TheKJA's latest Twatter:
SEB: Any other forays into the comic medium in your future?

KJA: We’ve been working for years to put together original Dune graphic novels. That may actually come about soon.
Oh. Joy.

There is no limit to how much this asshat wants to ream Frank Herbert's legacy. :evil:
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

"Original" ?

I reckon I'd actually quite enjoy something like that if they outsourced it to someone who was not Kevin J. Anderson and actually gave a shit about their output.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

A graphic novel is probably more suited to the "talents" of a man like TheKJA with its pretty pictures and minimal use of language.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Sev

Post by Sev »

KJA describing Saga of Seven Suns wrote:It’s probably my masterpiece (so far -- I always try to stretch my skills with each new book). A big seven-volume continuous epic with dozens of main characters and a sprawling plot that describes a huge galactic war among several races. I wrote each book on time, and they came out regularly, and I ended the series when it was done… How many other SF authors can say something like that!
I just pissed myself reading this - :laughing: :laughing:
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

If they ever made a Dune graphic novel, they should hand the project over to Moore just to see what he does with it.

@ Sev, Wow. This guy serious? :lol:
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

KJA describing Saga of Seven Suns wrote:It’s probably my masterpiece (so far -- I always try to stretch my skills with each new book). A big seven-volume continuous epic with dozens of main characters and a sprawling plot that describes a huge galactic war among several races. I wrote each book on time, and they came out regularly, and I ended the series when it was done… How many other SF authors can say something like that!
What a total dumb ass.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

GamePlayer wrote:
What a total dumb ass.
If you laugh while throwing up puke comes out your nose...

:laughing: :puke:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

I wrote each book on time, and they came out regularly, and I ended the series when it was done… How many other SF authors can say something like that!

Absolutely no authors can say that, indeed :shock:

And thank God...

Talking about books like he was working at GM... :roll:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Sev wrote:
Anyone who says that their own work is a masterpiece...Its like 80's bands putting the band name into their songs. Just fucking pathetic.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Omphalos wrote:
Sev wrote:
Anyone who says that their own work is a masterpiece...Its like 80's bands putting the band name into their songs. Just fucking pathetic.
Hmmm...who did that ? :)
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Rakis wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Sev wrote:
The Who? ('60s, though)
Sev

Post by Sev »

Damn, I'm going to be thinking band names in song titles all night now - so far have got:
Living in a Box - Living in a Box
Big Country - In a Big Country
Adam and the Ants - Ant Rap
Wham - Wham Rap
Stray Cats - Stray Cat Strut
and the still magnificent Public Image by Public Image Limited.

Er, back to the thread in hand - Marvel have currently got Peter David adapting Stephen King's The Stand into comics, so with the right creators it can be done well.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Sev wrote:
Er, back to the thread in hand - Marvel have currently got Peter David adapting Stephen King's The Stand into comics, so with the right creators it can be done well.
Maybe, but i just can't believe the HLP can choose the right creator...
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Rakis wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Sev wrote:
Exactly.

And no, Im not referring to the Who. Possibly the exception to the rule.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Well, for those who can stand the movie, there's already been a four-color adaptation:

http://www.comics.org/series.lasso?SeriesID=3014

But I agree that a new GN based on Dune (the novel, that is) would be a wonderful thing, provided Keith and The Other Guy were allowed nowhere near it. Which, sadly, is unlikely, given the cash-register sounds that KJA hears every time he thinks of Dune.

It should have been done years ago, actually. The HLP is a strange beast; it has a well-deserved reputation for being difficult to work with. Thus the lack of Dune items (comics, games, etc.) that are pretty standard stuff for many other franchises.

I'm beginning to think that the HLP's super-secret agenda was to churn out faux-Dune books once a year to keep the series active until Hollywood inevitably came calling. Now it's time for their big payday.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I own that 3-part comic series. Kinda neat, kinda lame. Would have been infinitely cooler if it had been based on the book not the movie...
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Rakis wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Sev wrote:
I believe Metallica reference themselves in one of their songs:

"Cos we're Metallica..."

Can't remember which one though, been awhile since I heard any Metallica.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
chanilover

Re: Dune Graphic Novel in the Works?

Post by chanilover »

wonder if this Dune comic will mean Simon's Dune Sketches will go the way of the Spanish Dune film.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
A Thing of Eternity

chanilover wrote:wonder if this Dune comic will mean Simon's Dune Sketches will go the way of the Spanish Dune film.

Good fucking point. I wonder if his close friendedness with them would be enough to save him from being censored.

Probably not.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

They persecute their own fans and you ask about friendliness?

:lol:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:They persecute their own fans and you ask about friendliness?

I think you'd agree that persecuting Simon would be another step over another line though, as compared to persecuting people like us who openly hate them. Even for loosers like the HLP that would be low.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Persecuting Simon isn't that big a deal. And it's (its?) kinda fun.

Their inn 4 a treet! :P
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:They persecute their own fans and you ask about friendliness?

I think you'd agree that persecuting Simon would be another step over another line though, as compared to persecuting people like us who openly hate them. Even for loosers like the HLP that would be low.
No one knew if the Spanish film makers had any OH leanings but they sure got the ol' HLP how do ya do?
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
trang

Post by trang »

seems we and them and everyone in between is striving for the "Ultimate Visualization" of FH's Dune?

Movie...
Graffic Novel...
Illustrated Dune...

I would think a Graphic Novel could be done, but it would be HUGE!!
Another Illustrated Dune Version Could be done... just much much more Illustration... again would be HUGE...

The Movie in current works appears that it will fall short...

Im not sure what is to be done as long as the HLP is Draconian Overlord of all things DUNE.

Im inclined to ask them just to let things be as they are... because everytime they touch something it just explodes in their face. If Buttnugget twins want to write 'tweener crap, let them... just preserve the Gran nature of the originals.

A visualized Dune I would like, no Doubt.. but it has to be done by someone who is just as passionate or more so than any fans... and it has to be painstakingly meticulously done... taking care to cover every detail and corner.
Otherwise why bother.

Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

SandChigger wrote:Persecuting Simon isn't that big a deal. And it's (its?) kinda fun.
"it's"

The contraction of "it is" contains the apostrophe; the possessive form of "it" does not.

HBJ,
pedant