Have a laugh! (about a youtuber who has never read Dune)

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Redstar wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:Oh, you'd be amazed at all the people that despise "open endings" and can't distinguish it from a "cliffhanger". I must have had more arguments defending great films with open endings than any other topic about film in my life as a connoisseur of film. That's why I could finish watching this video; the guy is indicative of so many people I've argued with about the virtue of a solid open ending. When I meet those people, they make me tired all over.
i know! back in mid-elementary school we read Lowry's The Giver which has a very famous open ending, and all kinds of classmates are complaining about it being a cliffhanger and we don't know what happened to jonas and blah blah blah... i wanted to smack them upside the head

edit to add: just wikid and saw that she wrote two other books forming a 'loose trilogy' a decade later... that sucks and I think it detracts from the original's impact.
I was going to bring that up as an example! The Giver is probably one of the first books you read in school that takes that approach to story-telling.

I don't think they're so much as a trilogy rather that just a series of books set in the same universe. None of the characters are explored further in any continuation; the other books just give you a look at how some of the other Communities do things.
***SPOILER ALERT***
actually jonas comes back in the 3rd book as the leader of the village that he enters at the end of the giver :shock: :roll:
so that completely kills the open ending of the first book.
bullshit
Seriously? I haven't kept up on the series, so I only recall from a few years back that Jonas was mentioned at the end of Gathering Blue as a background character. This was before Messenger, apparently... I think I'll just follow Lowry's earliest statement on the subject, about the open ending.
orald

Post by orald »

God Emperor of Dune has neither sequels nor prequels.

The God Emperor rules alone.

Siaynoq!
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
moreh_yeladim

Post by moreh_yeladim »

I second the bit about YouTubers generally being retarded.
God Emperor of Dune has neither sequels nor prequels.
So that bit in the Dune Encylopedia about how Paul-Muad'dib never really existed as such was right?
Brian Herbert is a perfect example of why you shouldn't leave a universe-spanning empire to your next of kin.