New Hardcovers

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

guild navigator

New Hardcovers

Post by guild navigator »

Is anyone going to buy them, or is money to the HLP money down the drain? Also, of the new covers (DM through HoD have been done so far), which do you find most striking?
If I ever stopped writing, my head would explode.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I won't buy them new, MAYBE when they show up in the used bookstores, but probably not - I'd much rather have cool vintage hardcovers for my collection.

I don't think I've seen all the new covers yet, anyone have links?
guild navigator

DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

I still love that ed of COD. The incompetence :lol:

Seriously though - vintage is the way forward... I've almost completed my FH paperback collection, I'm thinking I might have to graduate onto hardbacks soon :P
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
A Thing of Eternity

I guess I've seen the first two before, pretty dull, GEoD and HoD are certainly better, but still pretty lame considering the original (and other early ones) covers. I went into Chapers one time and put all the COD upside down so that they made sense.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

They're not getting my money.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I went into Chapers one time and put all the COD upside down so that they made sense.
Oh you anarchist you! :lol:

I'm certainly not going to pay for another of the Dune books with that asswipe Brian Herbert's name anywhere on it, not after how he's let Anderson shit all over them. :evil:
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I went into Chapers one time and put all the COD upside down so that they made sense.
Some advice: don't turn them upside down. The brain subconsciously recognizes out of place objects when the brain would normally be filtering. Hence, inverted text actually draws more attention to the books. The best tactic is to turn the books around so the back cover faces forward, unless the back cover also contains very large and easily identifiable text with a branded name (such as Dune).

When forced into a corner by books with eye-catching text both back and front covers, your best bet is to spend several hours losing the hardcovers in random spots throughout the store. You could simply invert the dust jackets of course, but you don't wanna take the chance of being discovered, now do ya? :)

I mean, I hear that's what one is supposed to do. I wouldn't know myself :oops:
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I prefer the old covers. They had a bronze age feel to them; not as cheesy as golden age covers, but still had that overall theme.

These new covers are just them trying to dumb-down the themes of the novels into nothing more than a desert planet.
NotAbout

Post by NotAbout »

Those covers are pretty bland. The copies I own myself have (in my opinion) very bland too.

I much prefer the ones my old high school had, if I can find pictures online i'll post it.
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

guild navigator wrote:[url]http://ebo
No, no, no, no, Why is Brian Herbert writing introductions to the Dune novels?? he is only defiling them! :x
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
NotAbout

Post by NotAbout »

Thanks Redstar.

Heres the ones I was talking about liking.

The ones I bought myself are all like this. They were the only ones available locally.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

NotAbout wrote:Heres the ones I was talking about liking.
Those are the New English Library paperbacks. That's the set I have here in Japan. (I've got a copy of the panorama illustration spread across the covers around here somewhere.... :) )
A Thing of Eternity

I REALLY have to get my hands on the whole series in french. Sparth's art is fantastic.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

This is the best site for covers that I (and everyone else) knows of, there's a copy of the panorama there somewhere aswell.

add
Sorry SC the panorama pic's gone AWAL.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:(

Oh well. I've got a smallish image on another machine. ;)
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Then all's well that ends well.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

inhuien wrote:This is the best site for covers that I (and everyone else) knows of, there's a copy of the panorama there somewhere aswell.
Thanks for the link. It doesn't appear that the images are as high-quality as one the site I linked, but the extra information provided on yours is definitely welcomed.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Some of the thumbnails link to a larger file.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Ooh :D
guild navigator

I like the John Schoenherr Heretics paperback, the green toned CoD, and the DM Ace pb a lot.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I just got back from B&N, where I saw the hardcovers in person for the first time. It was also the first time I'd actually turned over the CoD cover with my own hands rather than just comparing images on the interwebs ... and, man, it's just so obvious. It's a sand dune; it's printed upside-down. No other interpretation is even possible.

The fact that no one involved — the authors, the HLP, the morons at the publishing company, and certainly not that spineless coward Byron Merritt — will admit to such a blatant error leaves me shaking my head in disgust. Spineless jellyfish, every one of them.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Tio_Holtzmann

Post by Tio_Holtzmann »

The fact that they're printed upside down is hilarious and sad at the same time.

In my opinion, the only thing these new hardcovers are good for is beating BH & KJA senseless.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

TheDukester wrote:
I just got back from B&N, where I saw the hardcovers in person for the first time. It was also the first time I'd actually turned over the CoD cover with my own hands rather than just comparing images on the interwebs ... and, man, it's just so obvious. It's a sand dune; it's printed upside-down. No other interpretation is even possible.

The fact that no one involved — the authors, the HLP, the morons at the publishing company, and certainly not that spineless coward Byron Merritt — will admit to such a blatant error leaves me shaking my head in disgust. Spineless jellyfish, every one of them.
I call it the Caladan syndrome. I had this out with Byron over on Dungnovels with this whole embarrassingly retarded fuck up over Paul's birthplace. Even after pointing out to Byron that it says Paul was born on Caladan on the first page of Dune and Bobo mentioned Frank's boat called Caladan which was named after Paul's birthplace, Byron still insisted on posting links to the wretched explanation that Irulan made it all up.

It's not the fact that they got the birthplace wrong which bothers me, it's the insult to their readers' intelligence and complete contempt for their consumers over at the HLP which I found the most disgusting part of the whole business. They just simply can't admit the error, and will spin any old shit

Meh, fuck them.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.