New Hardcovers

    Can't find the appropriate forum for your topic? Post it here!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

User avatar
SandRider
Watermaster
Posts: 6163
Joined: 05 Oct 2008 16:14
Location: In the back of your mind. Always.
Contact:

Postby SandRider » 26 Mar 2009 10:55

I'd been meaning to tell this story for awhile, this seems like a good enough place.

Right after I first got down here (South Texas Gulf Coast), I made a run up to
Corpus Christi - went to the big mall there & to the franchise bookstore.

As most of you know, I always carry a flask of whiskey on me. (You can never
tell when you'll need it.) After looking around the store, I took me a few big
swigs, swished it around my mouth quite a bit, making sure to dribble some thru
my beard.

Then I started hollering for the manager.

In a loud and belligerent tone, I demanded the Keith Anderson books be separated
from the Frank Herbert books. (They were in fact, ALL mixed up, Frank's Dune,
Frank's other books, and all the noDune, in no particular order. No "Timeweb",
tho... WTF ?)

At one point, I began demanding that Keith's books be shelved under "A", not "H".
It was pointed out to me that "Brian Herbert" was on the cover, and they were
"Dune" books, so it made sense to shelve them together.

It was then pointed out to them that "Brian Herbert" didn't write a fucking word in
any of these "books", and that they weren't "Dune" books, you ignorant assholes.

Right about then is when the Mall Cop showed up ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008

User avatar
Tleszer
Posts: 2161
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:02

Postby Tleszer » 26 Mar 2009 13:44

SandRider wrote:It was then pointed out to them that "Brian Herbert" didn't write a fucking word in
any of these "books", and that they weren't "Dune" books, you ignorant assholes.

Right about then is when the Mall Cop showed up ....


:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You know you're in trouble when the Mall Cop shows up! :lol:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie

User avatar
Redstar
Posts: 1200
Joined: 25 Feb 2009 04:13

Postby Redstar » 26 Mar 2009 13:59

I actually spent some time organizing the books at my Borders. :oops:

User avatar
GamePlayer
70mm God
Posts: 2993
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 11:26
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Postby GamePlayer » 26 Mar 2009 14:10

That's the spirit! :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."

Ghost
Posts: 114
Joined: 04 Sep 2008 08:42
Location: Buenos Ares, Argentina

Postby Ghost » 26 Mar 2009 15:46

SandRider wrote:I'd been meaning to tell this story for awhile, this seems like a good enough place.

Right after I first got down here (South Texas Gulf Coast), I made a run up to
Corpus Christi - went to the big mall there & to the franchise bookstore.

As most of you know, I always carry a flask of whiskey on me. (You can never
tell when you'll need it.) After looking around the store, I took me a few big
swigs, swished it around my mouth quite a bit, making sure to dribble some thru
my beard.

Then I started hollering for the manager.

In a loud and belligerent tone, I demanded the Keith Anderson books be separated
from the Frank Herbert books. (They were in fact, ALL mixed up, Frank's Dune,
Frank's other books, and all the noDune, in no particular order. No "Timeweb",
tho... WTF ?)

At one point, I began demanding that Keith's books be shelved under "A", not "H".
It was pointed out to me that "Brian Herbert" was on the cover, and they were
"Dune" books, so it made sense to shelve them together.

It was then pointed out to them that "Brian Herbert" didn't write a fucking word in
any of these "books", and that they weren't "Dune" books, you ignorant assholes.

Right about then is when the Mall Cop showed up ....


Yay, thanks for the story, uncle Sandrider!

User avatar
DuneFishUK
Posts: 1990
Joined: 25 May 2008 14:14
Location: Cool Britannia
Contact:

Postby DuneFishUK » 26 Mar 2009 17:28

Ghost wrote:
SandRider wrote:I'd been meaning to tell this story for awhile, this seems like a good enough place.

Right after I first got down here (South Texas Gulf Coast), I made a run up to
Corpus Christi - went to the big mall there & to the franchise bookstore.

As most of you know, I always carry a flask of whiskey on me. (You can never
tell when you'll need it.) After looking around the store, I took me a few big
swigs, swished it around my mouth quite a bit, making sure to dribble some thru
my beard.

Then I started hollering for the manager.

In a loud and belligerent tone, I demanded the Keith Anderson books be separated
from the Frank Herbert books. (They were in fact, ALL mixed up, Frank's Dune,
Frank's other books, and all the noDune, in no particular order. No "Timeweb",
tho... WTF ?)

At one point, I began demanding that Keith's books be shelved under "A", not "H".
It was pointed out to me that "Brian Herbert" was on the cover, and they were
"Dune" books, so it made sense to shelve them together.

It was then pointed out to them that "Brian Herbert" didn't write a fucking word in
any of these "books", and that they weren't "Dune" books, you ignorant assholes.

Right about then is when the Mall Cop showed up ....


Yay, thanks for the story, uncle Sandrider!

:laughing: Well done sir!

User avatar
TheDukester
Posts: 3808
Joined: 20 Jun 2008 13:44
Location: Operation Enduring Bacon
Contact:

Postby TheDukester » 26 Mar 2009 19:14

SandRider wrote:It was pointed out to me that "Brian Herbert" was on the cover, and they were "Dune" books, so it made sense to shelve them together.

This is my favorite part. I can just picture the bookstore employees: "But, sir, 'Brian Herbert' comes just before 'Frank Herbert'; what else can we do?"
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.

User avatar
DuneFishUK
Posts: 1990
Joined: 25 May 2008 14:14
Location: Cool Britannia
Contact:

Re:

Postby DuneFishUK » 10 Apr 2009 17:11

inhuien wrote:This is the best site for covers that I (and everyone else) knows of, there's a copy of the panorama there somewhere aswell.


add
Sorry SC the panorama pic's gone AWAL.


http://www.duneinfo.com/caladan/timescape.asp

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14492
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: A continuing state of irritation
Contact:

Re: New Hardcovers

Postby SandChigger » 10 Apr 2009 19:45

Hey, thanks! :)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"

User avatar
Redstar
Posts: 1200
Joined: 25 Feb 2009 04:13

Re: New Hardcovers

Postby Redstar » 10 Apr 2009 22:30

Dune is a weird one.

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18239
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: New Hardcovers

Postby Freakzilla » 11 Apr 2009 07:47

The giant dome on HoD seems a little odd.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
inhuien
Posts: 3633
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
Location: right here as in not (all) there

Re: Re:

Postby inhuien » 12 Apr 2009 05:34

DuneFishUK wrote:
inhuien wrote:This is the best site for covers that I (and everyone else) knows of, there's a copy of the panorama there somewhere aswell.


add
Sorry SC the panorama pic's gone AWAL.


http://www.duneinfo.com/caladan/timescape.asp

Thanks DFUK, I'd forgotten about that site, there really is a wealth of information and detail there. Found a link to this if any one's in the market.
Image
Image

User avatar
Sev
Posts: 313
Joined: 05 Mar 2009 11:51
Location: Peterborough, UK

Re: New Hardcovers

Postby Sev » 16 Aug 2010 13:52

Apologies for dredging up an old thread, but rather than creating a new one thought I'd tack this on the end of this one. Because I'm mad I've been looking at some of Keith's Dune blogs from 2006, and this one is perplexing (the pertinent paragraph is italicized):

Keith on 15 August wrote:Dune Hardcovers at Last!

We are very pleased to announce that, after many years of arm-twisting, Ace Books has agreed to reissue the rest of Frank Herbert's original DUNE Chronicles in hardcover. We want to thank all the fans and all their support in helping to make this happen. More than 800 of you signed the petition to reissue the hardcovers, and I'm sure that had some effect on the decision.

We don't yet have any firm dates or release schedule, but we will post it here as we learn further information.

And again, sadly -- and inexplicably -- a few of the immature Talifan tried to ruin this for everybody. And again, their surly sabotage efforts didn't achieve the result they were trying for. For some reason, which I am at a loss to understand, some of the Talifan tried to ruin the petition to reprint the DUNE hardcovers by messing up the accuracy of the names listed, by adding false names and obscene comments, lacing their postings with insults and derogatory remarks. If they are on the official Dune website, and claim to be Dune fans, why would they try to damage Frank Herbert's reputation or attempt to prevent the reissuing of Frank Herbert's books? They have shown their true colors to everybody.

And the rest of us will still have the Dune hardcovers to enjoy. Thanks again to all of you for showing so much enthusiasm.


What's the story here? Anyone remember? Or is it just another Keith fabrication? :crazy:
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"

User avatar
TheDukester
Posts: 3808
Joined: 20 Jun 2008 13:44
Location: Operation Enduring Bacon
Contact:

Re: New Hardcovers

Postby TheDukester » 16 Aug 2010 14:05

Wow, don't remember that at all. But it's great to see how Keith casually tosses around totally offensive terms like "Talifan" without a glimmer of a clue as to why it makes him a shallow, hateful little fat-boy.

I'd say it's one of his legendary "Lies That Keep On A-Growin' ." Sort of like "thousands of fan letters" (maybe eight fan letters) and FH's "detailed Dune 7 notes" (two pages, one of which was a grocery list). I can believe a couple of douchebags might have messed with the list, but there would have been no proof at all that they were OH. Bored trolls sounds more likely.

Not that something like "proof" has ever gotten in Kevin J. Anderfuck's way. I hate him so fucking much.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.

User avatar
Eyes High
Patience Personified
Posts: 2322
Joined: 22 Jul 2008 15:32
Location: between the worlds of men and make believe

Re: New Hardcovers

Postby Eyes High » 16 Aug 2010 15:03

Yeah, I don't see any OHers doing something to mess up Frank 's stuff.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.

User avatar
Redstar
Posts: 1200
Joined: 25 Feb 2009 04:13

Re: New Hardcovers

Postby Redstar » 16 Aug 2010 15:26

I'm pretty sure every online petition gets those kind of trolls. But, of course, everyone online is a Talifan and part of the massive anti-nu-Dune conspiracy. :roll:

User avatar
DuneFishUK
Posts: 1990
Joined: 25 May 2008 14:14
Location: Cool Britannia
Contact:

Re: New Hardcovers

Postby DuneFishUK » 16 Aug 2010 16:39

Redstar wrote:everyone online is a Talifan and part of the massive anti-nu-Dune conspiracy. :roll:

...Also known as SandChigger. :shock:


Anyone got a link to the petition? Link or this is bullshit.

-- EDIT --

Found it: http://web.archive.org/web/200608180340 ... b=1&show=1

Erm... I call bullshit. Only the first page is archived, but there's not even a comment field for the obscene comments.

User avatar
TheDukester
Posts: 3808
Joined: 20 Jun 2008 13:44
Location: Operation Enduring Bacon
Contact:

Re: New Hardcovers

Postby TheDukester » 16 Aug 2010 17:07

Gotta agree; complete bullshit. This happened only in Keith's twisted mind.

The only possible trolling I see on that first page is where "William Hurt" signed up. But maybe he really enjoyed his experience in playing Duke Leto?

So just how did those naughty Talifans post their "derogatory comments" without a comments section? :think:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14492
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: A continuing state of irritation
Contact:

Re: New Hardcovers

Postby SandChigger » 16 Aug 2010 17:38

Hmm...

I remember that there was a petition, and that there was talk of vandalism, but to the best of my recollection I never even looked at the petition, let alone sign it.

As with everything these people shit out their facial anuses, where's the proof? And as Redstar pointed out, they can't prove it was anyone who then or now belongs to the "OH".

But you can be sure the fanboys ate it up and believed every word for gospel. :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"

User avatar
Tleszer
Posts: 2161
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:02

Re: New Hardcovers

Postby Tleszer » 16 Aug 2010 18:30

:shifty:

You said facial anuses. :lol:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie