Sandworm Teeth

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

moreh_yeladim

Sandworm Teeth

Post by moreh_yeladim »

If Shai-Hulud subsisted off of sand-plankton that ate the melange spice, which itself came from the sandtrout and got a positive net energy via exposure to the sun, why did the worms need teeth?
Brian Herbert is a perfect example of why you shouldn't leave a universe-spanning empire to your next of kin.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Possibly to catch things, like people, and hold them in their mouths until they dried out and were suitable for swallowing, or could be worn down to something digestible by the passage of sand.

I dont think Herbert ever said that they were for chewing.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Hangover from an earlier stage in evolution? (Or FH just thought it was cool and didn't see a problem with it more likely...)
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

Omphalos wrote:Possibly to catch things, like people, and hold them in their mouths until they dried out and were suitable for swallowing, or could be worn down to something digestible by the passage of sand.

I dont think Herbert ever said that they were for chewing.
I agree with this description, the teeth should perform a filtering function, like the nose hairs. I think the Blue Whale has filtering "teeth"
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

It's not a perfectly worked out system. ;)

Of course, sand is not a liquid, like water, so something like baleen ("whalebone") wouldn't stand up to the wear and tear.

So it goes.

Mr Dictionary says, "Baleen whales include the rorquals, humpback, right whales, and gray whale. Also called whalebone whale. Suborder Mysticeti, order Cetacea: three families and ten species." :)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:It's not a perfectly worked out system. ;)

Of course, sand is not a liquid, like water, so something like baleen ("whalebone") wouldn't stand up to the wear and tear.
The more important question is what they are capable of stand up to when still in the worms mount, and how swiftly they grow back when knocked out. Think of sharks, who have teeth waiting in reserve for just such an emergency and can grow them before needed. :wink:

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(You restarted that one several times, didn't you? ;) )

Sharks ... that's a great example. Still doesn't help much concerning how those teeth would be useful in straining out sand plankton, but what the hey! :)
Schu

Post by Schu »

Baraka Bryan wrote:they have teeth because it furthered the plot by allowing the creation of crysknives....

:roll:
Go ahead and spoil our fun!

Fucking anthropic principle.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

:sigh: You mean they were only a lowly plot devise.
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

I think the teeth are only for defense. It's a defense mechanism.
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Baraka Bryan wrote:they have teeth because it furthered the plot by allowing the creation of crysknives....

:roll:
Didn't Sloeman say that once?
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Nekhrun wrote:Didn't Sloeman say that once?
Who could tell?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:I think the teeth are only for defense. It's a defense mechanism.
Against what? Sudden Sunday afternoon skyhooks? :P
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

I don't know...We don't know anything from where the sandworms came. Who knows the sandworms had a predator in its original planet.

But a new idea come to me now: The sandworms are extremely territorial creatures, when they found another one in its region they attacks. So, the teeth can be for that: To fight against another sandworms.
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

That actually makes more sense than using them for feeding.

Still, I'm curiously attracted to the image of a giant fat man in a space boat with a ginormous (sp?) fishing rod trying to catch a sandworm for bait ... imagine what he must be fishing for! :shock:
Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

SandChigger wrote:That actually makes more sense than using them for feeding.

Still, I'm curiously attracted to the image of a giant fat man in a space boat with a ginormous (sp?) fishing rod trying to catch a sandworm for bait ... imagine what he must be fishing for! :shock:
The Normacle
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:(You restarted that one several times, didn't you? ;) )
God no, or I wouldn't have misspelled half of the fucking words I used. :oops:
SandChigger wrote:Sharks ... that's a great example. Still doesn't help much concerning how those teeth would be useful in straining out sand plankton, but what the hey! :)
I don't think that they would be useful in straining sand plankton. Pardon me if I implied that. What I did say, I think, is that they would be useful for stopping giant bags of water, like people. Like a gizzard where a bird churns up food with little pebbles, only the teeth stop harmful and painful water-filled sacks and give them time to dry out, then get swallowed. Plankton just cruises on by the whole time, probably helping wear down the corpse, or whatever is caught.

Or maybe they are the worm's version of the appendix

Goodnight Golden Path!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Rule of cool.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
A Thing of Eternity

Used for fighting eachother? They are extremely territorial.
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Used for fighting eachother? They are extremely territorial.
That was what I said. :wink:

-- The Stolen Journals

A Thing of Eternity

Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Used for fighting eachother? They are extremely territorial.
That was what I said. :wink:
Oops, sorry, I must have only read the first paragraph in that post! :oops:
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

KJAs Newer and Better UBER-ULTRA Crysknife.
orald

Post by orald »

Well, the sands contain rocks too...but I guess it could be rationed as an evolutionary leftover.

I think worms usually have some kind of tiny "teeth" for borrowing and processing their food etc, could be wrong though.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

inhuien wrote:KJAs Newer and Better UBER-ULTRA Crysknife.
LOL! Very nice :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Onasander

Re: Sandworm Teeth

Post by Onasander »

It's not for fighting- as the teeth are going to be on the inside- if the worms used their teeth in a fight- then their opponent would have to get inside of them in order to use the teeth on them- teeth or not, being inside of your opponent's body is a clear sign the fight isn't going to well for you (unless your a anal rapist, in which case it's going swimmingly)

Almost certainly not for hunting prey.... you don't need that many teeth to take down animals. Not so certain a crysknife can chew up metal, even if cleverly constructed like the materials for a conch shell for strength- gonna have to involve some impressive enzymes and crushing weight.

I think it's more inline with what we think of later stages of the digestive system. The teeth holds the hard sand there- the sand is static yet rigid, while the whole worm moves.... electrical sparks and bolts occur, churning the rocks, tumbling over one another- static electricity is recycled over and over again, walls or gut absorbs some materials, rest is vomited/shitted out in form of sand.

Movement of animals is highly indicative of where the sand plankton is.... it's like zooplankton in the ocean- you concentrate zooplankton with the right frequency, feeder fish come, feeder fish comes, bigger fish come to eat the feeder fish- so on and so on. Hearing sound is also gonna warn them when competitors are nearby- or when someone is screwing around with a nest.

A crysknife has to be harder than most surface rocks. It's design doesn't suggest a prehensile capacity, resembling the teeth of a seaslug more- for one directional gripping. Sure each rib likely had many rows of these.

Question arises- how far did a sandworm have to travel until it converted it's solid rock catch into granular waste? And how did it absorb the sand plankton without a liquid based digestive system- almost certain electricity will be involved (thus making the teeth non-conductive) in the process as describe above- but what else?