Amusing, pointless questions

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

SandChigger wrote:Hey, people ... I think I just thought of another reason why Sandworms is shit: remember, the worms supposedly "sensed" the HM attack coming and dived deep down to hibernate and wait out the attack and radiation afterwards.
This shows that the sandworms did in fact have some form of prescience, which one could have postulated because of Leto's "pearls of awareness;" by BH&KJA making this true, since it was never actually clear if FH=Taraza in this line of thought, it means that Taraza was right in wanting Rakis destroyed.

So, BH&KJA believe in a Duniverse where prescient sandworms exist and the Ultra Kwisatz Haderach is a human/machine hybrid that is not a cyborg but still human? If so, shouldn't there be prescient-vision "conflicts" between them or do the sandworm visions cancel each other out leaving only Duncan's ultra-visions?

Geez, they've apparently made things stupid convoluted simply by having the sandworms survive the attack on Rakis. Sounds about right. :lol:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Sole Man

On Sandworm Prescience

Post by Sole Man »

THE WURM IS THE SPICE! THE SPICE IS THE WURM! (THE WURM IS THEIR BIGGEST SELLING POINT!)

Wait...Now it all makes sense! The worms are omniceint beings that control all happenings in the DUNE universe. They distorted the words of the Prequels/sequels, intentionally making them wrong so as to upstage BH/KJA!

(This is going to be thier next big "explanation")
Schu

Post by Schu »

I was just reading the starting few chapters of children of dune. Apparently large bodies of water = bad, and water held in cellular bondage = acceptable.

So I guess the question is, why did a patch of damp sand stop worms from ravaging a community that they would have loved to decimate?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I would assume that there would be more than 40 liters of water spread throughout the sand.

There would presumably be a larger amount of water evaporating into the air from dampened sand than from a human body, so it might be easier for the worm to detect the sand.

(Why are you obsessing over this? ;) )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Keeps his mind off me.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

There is that. :lol:
Schu

Post by Schu »

Am I that transparent?

I like to muse about such things.

Like Sandrider....

(actually, in truth, I'm picking apart a lot of things in the duniverse currently especially in Children of Dune, which has always confused me the most)
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Schu wrote:(actually, in truth, I'm picking apart a lot of things in the duniverse currently especially in Children of Dune, which has always confused me the most)
Please visit the reading group, I have summaries of each chapter. Please ask any questions that arrise.

:D
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Schu wrote:I was just reading the starting few chapters of children of dune. Apparently large bodies of water = bad, and water held in cellular bondage = acceptable.
True, the safest place to store your water is in your body.
So I guess the question is, why did a patch of damp sand stop worms from ravaging a community that they would have loved to decimate?
The worms don't know how much or how little water is there, they just sense poisonous water.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Schu

Post by Schu »

I guess that makes sense.

And yes, I most certainly do intend to do that, in fact I intend to go through all 6 in order and extensively post to the chapter summaries, I've meant to do that since I saw them. Currently I'm skimming the 6 before going through them thoroughly, to reacquaint myself with everything, especially CoD which, like I've said, has always confused me.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Schu wrote:I guess that makes sense.

And yes, I most certainly do intend to do that, in fact I intend to go through all 6 in order and extensively post to the chapter summaries, I've meant to do that since I saw them. Currently I'm skimming the 6 before going through them thoroughly, to reacquaint myself with everything, especially CoD which, like I've said, has always confused me.
Cool! Don't worry, we'll straighten you out! :wink:
~Pink Snowman
Schu

Post by Schu »

Freakzilla wrote:
Schu wrote:I guess that makes sense.

Cool! Don't worry, we'll straighten you out! :wink:
Well, I was thinking less "straightening myself out" as "finding strange little facts and quotes"
loremaster

Post by loremaster »

it could just be that sandworms were supersensitive to gradients of osmotic pressure (pure water would diffuse (on balance) into the cells and kill them). Either that, or:

Sandworms arent made of cells at all and are therefore alien

Sandworms cant (must?) ingest water to maintain cells.
The HLP hasnt released Frank's notes yet, Brian hasn't got the handwriting quite right!