Frank Herbert Interviews

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandRider
Watermaster

Re: Frank Herbert Interviews

Post by SandRider »

and somebody really needs to get on-the-ball and re-post all these things Kwis
has provided in the Basement Archive @T(A)U .... what's that you say? Am not
I, the SandRider, the Moderator and Chief Curator of the Basement Archive @T(A)U?

well, yes I am; however, am I expected to do everything myself? would you like
me to come to your house and wipe your ass for you as well? ungrateful lazy little
bastards, I told your mothers you would amount to nothing ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

also, I forgot to comment :
Henry Kissinger? WTF?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:and somebody really needs to get on-the-ball and re-post all these things Kwis
has provided in the Basement Archive @T(A)U .... what's that you say? Am not
I, the SandRider, the Moderator and Chief Curator of the Basement Archive @T(A)U?

well, yes I am; however, am I expected to do everything myself? would you like
me to come to your house and wipe your ass for you as well? ungrateful lazy little
bastards, I told your mothers you would amount to nothing ....
I know exactly how you feel.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
ᴶᵛᵀᴬ
Joseph-Vintimille Tariki Askaris

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

Freakzilla wrote:Are you Lampadas people getting all these imaged interviews???
Of course, no doubt about that. There is a time and a place for everything. :ugeek:
    Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
    ۞ Shaihuludata gigantica Gratia, Fidei defensor ۞
      ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

Kwisatz wrote: Meanwhile I'm looking for someone who is living in Japan could help me buying 6-7 books which I don't have. I asked several Amazon.jp sellers and all of them refused to send books abroad.
      Ask Ionah or Chig .
          ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

SandRider wrote:and thanks for the first photo, too - I've used a cropped version of that one for an avatar here before;
          my second favorite photo of Frank - and I've posted about this before, maybe you have it in your collection,

the full-frame of this photo:

the full photo shows the big stuffed easy-chair Frank is sitting in, and the side table he is looking at,
          which has a stack of papers he appears to be working with ...

I haven't actually seen this photo in many,many years; went looking for it on the web quite awhile
          back, to post as an example of how Writers actually "write" - versus whatever it is Keith does - all
          I've ever found was this cropped version ...

for some reason, I have always associated it with Dune Messiah - as being on the back cover of one the
          first (US) paperbacks ... I also have always associated the photo with "When I Was Writing Dune", so I
          don't know if the photo itself was purported to be of Frank "while writing Dune" ....

Frank Herbert photo from dust jacket of collection "Nebula Award Stories 1965" edited by Damon Knight, published by Doubleday, copyright 1966 by Science Fiction Writers of America.
              Kwisatz

Post by Kwisatz »

Thanks for the last photo and the tip of Nebula book. I already bought it ;)
              In exchange - a little gift from my collection - original photo of Bernard Baruch Zakheim - Jewish sculptor - taken by FH. It was supposedly for article in Santa Rosa Press Democrat "Cast of Zakheim work shown in Santa Rosa" - 3/1/53 - final confirmation needed.

Maybe someone could decipher what's in the text in upper section. I see only "Zakheim" ;)

SandChigger
              KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Askaris de Dar wrote:
              Kwisatz wrote: Meanwhile I'm looking for someone who is living in Japan could help me buying 6-7 books which I don't have. I asked several Amazon.jp sellers and all of them refused to send books abroad.
              Ask Ionah or Chig .
              Kwisatz, PM me re this if you want. (It might take a little while.)
              Kwisatz

Post by Kwisatz »

Hmm, I see nobody is able to decipher this handwritten text...

Anyway - next stuff is coming - FH interview done by mail. It was published in fanzine S.F. ECHO #25, Apr-Aug 1976.
              It's also not mentioned in Payne's bibliography. I found 24 magazines and books so far which were not included before 1990 (year of publication of this bibliography).

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Awe man, I don't want to read something where FH finishes a book on deadline in 7 weeks...

At least it's not something he made a habit of.
              Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Kwisatz wrote:Hmm, I see nobody is able to decipher this handwritten text...
              I think it's clearly "I lol Zakheim".

:P

HBJ
              "The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
              - Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
              - Iain Banks
              Omphalos
              Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Kwisatz wrote:Hmm, I see nobody is able to decipher this handwritten text...
              Honestly I thought it said "2 Col. Zackheim," as in "to colonel Zackheim," but I don't see FH doing l33t-speak. Maybe the second photo of the man he took?

That second line is a mess. "From" someone maybe, or "From Col" something, like they called each other colonel? Stupid, I know, but that's all I got. Or the second word could be "Cal". He was a newspaper man in California, so maybe it was "For Cal." times/newspaper or something like that? "From Cal. Times," maybe.

That seems to be a stock photo. You ought to contact one of those stock photo dealers and ask if they have any attribution data on it. That might help you narrow down the meaning of the writing on the back.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
              ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

Yeah regarding that mysterious text.. I agree with Omphalos, I also see the same thing for the first line. But in the 2nd one I kinda see the bottom part as a full name. Especially the the first part looks like "Jim", but the second..? A wild guess: "Collins".
              Kwisatz

Post by Kwisatz »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Awe man, I don't want to read something where FH finishes a book on deadline in 7 weeks...
              I wonder what book it was in 1972?
              My lucky guesses - Hellstrom's Hive published in Galaxy in November 1972, but it's 103k words novel (maybe serialized edition was shorter?).
              Next guess is Soul Catcher also published that year but it was only 52k word novel.
              My third guess is The Godmakers also published that year, also only 51k words. But maybe it the correct one cause he had to compile and rewrite 4 short stories into this one. Maybe it could be done in 7 weeks ;)
              Kwisatz

Post by Kwisatz »

Thanks for deciphering ;)

I like the idea of "Jim Collins" ;)
              Colonel - I don't think so - he was a Jewish sculptor and according to DoD also a friend of FH. Maybe Cal. - as California is a good idea.
              I think it will be clear when I'll read this article about him from Santa Rosa - I'll have it soon.
              Apjak

Post by Apjak »

Here's the story of a Frank Herbert interview that wasn't.

http://www.vulture.com/2012/09/frank-he ... erson.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
              I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
              We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
              There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
              Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

What is it with "Andersons" fucking with Dune.

Seriously.

(Funny story, but knowing Frank he was either laughing or livid)
              Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
              Apjak

Post by Apjak »

I'm sure he was gracious as hell considering it was a crying 4 year old, but damn we need more video interviews of the master.
              I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
              We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
              There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
              ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

Problems with Vertex ...

:arrow: EDIT: Vector [Sercon] /ed. by Geoff Rippington, Joseph Nicholas & Paul Kincaid [BSFA]
                Issue #109, August 1982, 75 p.

Article: Signing for Supper. Frank Herbert interviewed by Joseph Nicholas (7/8 June 1981)

SandRider wrote:
                Vertex : US magazine, in Slick letter-size saddle-stapled format, April 1973 to April 1975, and tabloid format June 1975-August 1975. 16 issues, 13 bimonthly, the last three monthly, published by Mankind Publishing, Los Angeles; edited by Donald J Pfeil.
                :arrow: EDIT: The 1977 interview of Herbert conducted by MacKenzie has remained unpublished (20 years) due to the rejection of the major periodicals of the time (Rolling Stone, Playboy, Penthouse, New Yorker, Atlantic Monthly).
                Posted online : 1997

Kwisatz

Post by Kwisatz »

Zeuhl wrote: Article: Signing for Supper. Frank Herbert interviewed by Joseph Nicholas (7/8 June 1981)
                    Yes, my mistake. I switched both interviews in my head ;)

Signing -> Singing

I'll post scans of Vertex 1973 interview on TAU.
                    Sardaukar Capt

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

Kwisatz wrote:Next one is the real interview from Vertex 109.

The last paragraph on the bottom page and onto the 2nd page describing the process he and Bill Ransom used, almost reads verbatim with my memory of how BoBo and TheHack described their "process" in an interview.

Isn't that a funny little conundrum.

Another conundrum, for a man who was (supposedly) bringing back the Thinking Machines in such a big way in Dune 7, in all these interviews unearthed that span the decades of his writing career in this thread he never really talks about machines, AI, or computers. Its always politics, religion, ecology, etc. :think:

:D
                    The name Atreides was also consciously chosen. It is the family name of Agamemnon. Says Herbert, "I wanted a sense of monumental aristocracy, but with tragedy hanging over them--and in our culture, Agamemnon personifies that."
                    Frank Herbert by Tim O'Reilly
                    http://tim.oreilly.com/herbert/

Ghanima said. "We Atreides go back to Agamemnon..."
                    Distracted, Irulan asked: "Who's Agamemnon?"

Children of Dune by Frank Herbert

WTF? A BG forgets the Titans?! :)
                    Apjak

Post by Apjak »

Fullerton has digitized their Frank Herbert audio collection here:

https://archive.org/details/cfls_00001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
                    Freakzilla
                    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Sardaukar Capt wrote:...

Another conundrum, for a man who was (supposedly) bringing back the Thinking Machines in such a big way in Dune 7, in all these interviews unearthed that span the decades of his writing career in this thread he never really talks about machines, AI, or computers. Its always politics, religion, ecology, etc. :think:

:D
                    I think in my recent reading of Dreamer of Dune, BH mentioned something about it being political. Utopian democracy or something... I'll have to look for that when I get a chance.
                    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
                    ~Pink Snowman
                    Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

That would mesh with Norman Spinrad's suggestion that Frank wanted to present a decent, democratic alternative to the monarchist power fantasy he'd started Dune with. Although maybe that's already fleshed out in the Bene Gesserit system in Heretics and Chapterhouse, where Reverend Mother gets watched around the clock by proctors waiting to see her crack.

As for machines, the BG start employing Cyborgs later on in Chapterhouse ...
                    inhuien

Post by inhuien »

And tormenting poor 'lill bots. :(