Those ALIEN Roads

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Lundse

Post by Lundse »

SandRider wrote:THESE TWO ARE SO FUCKING STUPID !!!!
Arnoldo wrote:Ad hominem.
:-)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well, since it's been bumped, let's just say again—since he still hasn't admitted or acknowledged his misreading and misrepresentation, intentional or not, of what is written in the text—that Byron Merritt has absolutely no integrity when it comes to these matters and, so far as I am concerned, zero credibility when it comes to anything Dune-related.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:Well, since it's been bumped, let's just say again—since he still hasn't admitted or acknowledged his misreading and misrepresentation, intentional or not, of what is written in the text—that Byron Merritt has absolutely no integrity when it comes to these matters and, so far as I am concerned, zero credibility when it comes to anything Dune-related.
The penalty for trying to shoehorn aliens into Dune should be public flogging on the tripod.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Or worse, trying to shoehorn noDune elements into the original books my deliberately misinterpreting the text.

Man, my blood pressure went up just typing that sentence in.

HBJ
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I would have thought the punishment for putting aliens into Dune would be being such a crappy author that the only way you can think of to make your dune story interesting is by having frikking aliens.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

For that to work as a punishment, though, the crappy author has to realize he's a crappy author.

Kevin's enormous ego shields him from any such realization. He thinks he mouthshits perfect prose....
Sev

Post by Sev »

Oh god, by coincidence I've been working through this thread today in ever-increasing incredulity that people feel the need to work McDune elements into the original novels - Leto seeing machine cities - :crazy: - only to see it get bumped. I'm speechless at the levels of dumb-fuckery over there - even though it's a source of great entertainment, you've got to despair...
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I don't think aliens really belong in the Dune universe. The stories are about people, and it's pretty clear that if FH didn't want technology in the way I doubt he'd want aliens in the way either.

I did make a thread talking about the "obvious climax" of FH introducing aliens into Dune 7 over on DN, but it was purely for fun. As a fan I like speculating about things, same as someone might speculate about things in the Lord of the Rings or Ender's Game mythos. You don't mean it, and hardcore fans might flame you, but it's still fun circling around and coming up with the most hawkeyed theories you can manage.

Honestly it makes more sense than an empire of machines...
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Hey, give yourself some credit. KJA get's paid for squeezing into existing fiction the speculation that everyone else has the good sense to dismiss as "bad ideas". If someone paid me to write Terminators into Dune, I'd do it :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
NotAbout

Post by NotAbout »

Well I'm waiting for the Dune/SW/Terminator crossover novel.

"Paul slipped in to another waking dream, he realised there was a 'force' in the galaxy that surrounded him. He was suddenly disturbed by a knock at the door. He answered it and was surprised to see a man of similar age with blond hair holding a glowing sword. 'Come with me if you want to live!' he yelled"