inhuien

Re: Doing research on Dune, need help!

Post by inhuien »

Elitist my arse.
Streaksy

Post by Streaksy »

Moonleaf wrote:....
Sounds like you have it pretty sewn-up already. It's not the world's biggest book. 31st of Oct is plenty time. It's complex but it unfolds very comfortably. Unless you have specific questions I don't think I can really help. I'd just be throwing Dune facts at you and you'd be deciding what's useful. The model you described is something I wouldn't have thought of and I can't really think of how to build upon it because I don't have your headspace.

Like I said, I can answer specific questions. ;/ Not much else, really.
Moonleaf

Post by Moonleaf »

inhuien wrote:There is a world of difference between reading the basic source material and devoting your life to researching a fucking paper. The ops full of it and if this is not a wind-up I'll give Mr General The SandRider a sloppy blowjob.
Well, this is not a prank. If it helps, I'll send in the rules for my game when I'm home.

Personally, if someone came posting in BoardGameGeek.com looking for information about games, I'd happily offer to help (and I've done so in several occasions). I imagined that others would think the same way I do when a bewildered n00b asked for some assistance. Unfortunately I often do that mistake, so this is one more proof that not all people think alike.

I could possibly read the first book within a week or two. Even so, my design would still need to be proof-read from experts in order to add more flavor and fix inconsistencies using information from the prequels and the sequels. So I'd still be here, not clueless, but needing the same kind of help.
Streaksy

Post by Streaksy »

inhuien wrote:Elitist my arse.
I've been in his situation. It's frustrating being told to fuck off by cliques because you'd rather ask experts than devote a lot of time to something just to help with a fun diversion. There's no harm in attempting to answer the original question.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Yeah, and do ppl show up at that board saying they want to design a game but have never played one, and come over all reticent when It's suggested it would be a good idea if they did?
Streaksy

Post by Streaksy »

He knows it would be a good idea to read Dune but he doesn't want to. We either help him (or her) out or refuse. I'm not so busy I can't help someone out who commited the crime of not caring 100%.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

And when Bagpuss goes to sleep, all his friends go to sleep...
Streaksy

Post by Streaksy »

"I've seen the movies and played the old boardgame, but I haven't read the book. I wouldn't mind making my own version of the boardgame and it would be nice to come up with some new twists as long as they don't rape Dune since it's so respected. Should I spend 2 minutes registering on a forum or a week on the sofa? They can either help me or not. They'll definitely not tell me, an innocent inquirer, to fuck off and find the answers entirely on my own out of sheer disdain. Afterall, forum people are just human beings."

Are they fuck.
Moonleaf

Post by Moonleaf »

On a lighter tone, are you often being pranked on this forum? :P All this wariness makes me think it's commonplace for your users to joke on one another :P

By the way, I'm surprised by the amount of profanity. I'm used to BGG forums which are heavily moderated (kids stroll around there). Obviously I write to a mature audience :)
Moonleaf

Post by Moonleaf »

inhuien wrote:Yeah, and do ppl show up at that board saying they want to design a game but have never played one, and come over all reticent when It's suggested it would be a good idea if they did?
Oh, believe me, there are quite a few poor souls who come in BGG and say 'I've played Risk 200 times and I have a great idea for a strategy game!'. It is usually addressed by a suggestion to play a variety of games, in order to be sure that it hasn't been done before, and to be able to have a wider understanding on game design. As for the hideous games that appear from time to time, you can only politely say that they have a long way to go.

If it is annoying or a waste of time for you, mate, I don't want to keep you from doing more interesting things. I hope to find 1-2 people in this forum community to help me out
Moonleaf

Post by Moonleaf »

Streaksy wrote: Sounds like you have it pretty sewn-up already....
Indeed, the core idea is pretty straight-forward, similar to many other games and already successful. I’m here for more details
Streaksy wrote: Like I said, I can answer specific questions. ;/ Not much else, really.
Lets get on with them then :)

As I said, I need more characteristics (adjectives would be perfect) for the different factions.
Moonleaf wrote:
Atreides
Bravery
Honor
Valuing human life
Protection
Organization
Noble Blood
Loyalty

Harkonen:
Revenge
Wealth
Ending of human life
Physical perfection
Unholy alliances

Fremen
Arrakis lore
Faith in the Messiah
Organization in small communities and groups
Recycling
Survival with few

Spacing Guild
Financial control
Money create money
Blackmailing (mostly economic)
Deleted: Military elite
The more we add, the more variety there will be in each faction’s mechanics. For example, I noticed that Fremen set up desert ambushes. Mechanically, that can be represented with something like:
If you roll a 2, set the die aside. Before Resolution, roll the die again

The Spacing Guild looks empty and would be boring as is, any help with that is especially appreciated.

On a second issue, I’d like to ask for 10 famous locations in Arrakis. Both dunes with worms and dangers where you can harvest spice, and civilized areas where you can obtain workers, set up political intrigues with the leaders or buy spice from salesmen.

A good example would be a location with smugglers. You can use Military to raid them and steal their spice, Politics to blackmail them for their piece of the profit, or Economics for cutting deals. All these give you Spice in order to win the game. Is there a city or place which can be attributed to smugglers? If not, there can be a location in the middle of a random dune for them in the game map.

I’ll leave my third issue for later, it’s already a lot to work on
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Moonleaf wrote:(kids stroll around there)
No one strolls around here. And my kids will have you gutted and drained dry before the deathstill crew can find your husk. :lol:

Marhaba bik fi sietchina.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Moonleaf wrote:By the way, I'm surprised by the amount of profanity. I'm used to BGG forums which are heavily moderated (kids stroll around there). Obviously I write to a mature audience :)
Freakzilla wrote:Most of my members are here because they were banned from Dunenovels, some banned from Arrakeen before that, and I founded Jacurutu on the premise that people would not be censored.

I do not ban people for calling other members childish names or because someone feels insulted.

We can either have free speech or censorship not both and middle ground makes me a hypocrite.

So, if you're easily insulted or offended, maybe Jacurutu isn't the place for you. If you can take the heat, you're welcome to it.
The Rules
Freakzilla wrote:2. Keep the profanity to a minimum.
Strolling attracts the worm.

Our children kill the wounded and mark them for the deathstil.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

SandChigger wrote:
Moonleaf wrote:(kids stroll around there)
No one strolls around here.
Yeah, I don't see anyone stumbling onto this site by accident and sticking around unless that person happened to be a Dune fan. There's some foul language, but you're bound to come across that just about anywhere. If you're a fan of Dune, then this place is definitely a good find. I sometimes go through old threads looking for information, or just to read whatever catches my eye. Anyway, yeah, kids don't stroll around here.
I bring nothing to the table.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Freakzilla wrote:Strolling attracts the worm.
If you walk without rhythm, you won't attract the worm.
I bring nothing to the table.
Moonleaf

Post by Moonleaf »

Freakzilla wrote:So, if you're easily insulted or offended, maybe Jacurutu isn't the place for you. If you can take the heat, you're welcome to it.
Good think I am not easily offended and can do my share of trashtalk. The transition from one forum to another was somewhat abrupt :P I'm getting accustomed to your ways

Funny thing is, since I'm not an english native speaker, I googled slang phrases twice already :P
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Moonleaf wrote:Funny thing is, since I'm not an english native speaker, I googled slang phrases twice already :P
We have a pretty good mix of international members, it happens.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Moonleaf

Post by Moonleaf »

Freakzilla wrote:
Moonleaf wrote:Funny thing is, since I'm not an english native speaker, I googled slang phrases twice already :P
Greece here :)

By the way, does anyone have a few dozen billions to save my country? C'mon, check your pockets. No? Was worth trying
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Moonleaf wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Greece here :)

By the way, does anyone have a few dozen billions to save my country? C'mon, check your pockets. No? Was worth trying
Do you have a job?
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Freakzilla wrote:Do you have a job?
You watched Colbert last night, too, huh? :lol:
Moonleaf

Post by Moonleaf »

I have a Masters in Economic Science and I am an accountant (in my mother's office). I work 10+ hours on weekdays and 6+ hours on Saturday and Sunday. I aspire to design board games in my free time and perhaps one day have them published. Still, I am generally far better than most people around, unemployment approaches 25% in my city
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:
You watched Colbert last night, too, huh? :lol:
Yeah. I'm just messing with you Moonleaf. :P
~Pink Snowman
Moonleaf

Post by Moonleaf »

Freakzilla wrote:Yeah. I'm just messing with you moonleaf. :P
Damn, just when I thought someone was interested to hear my life's story. I had a few hundred pages somewhere around here ready to be quoted...
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Moonleaf wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Yeah. I'm just messing with you moonleaf. :P
Damn, just when I thought someone was interested to hear my life's story. I had a few hundred pages somewhere around here ready to be quoted...

You can write anything you want about yourself in the "Introduce Yourself" forum.
~Pink Snowman
Moonleaf

Post by Moonleaf »

It's not fun unless someone asks for it :P