The Rules

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

The only plastic on that guitar I know of was in the pick-ups.

I love the necks on the Jackson guitars. Randy Rhodes is one of my favorites.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

fantomas wrote:
orald wrote: FH is upset now because of you. :(
How do you know this?
Can you talk to the dead?
Can the dead talk to you?
Are you a Medium

or a large? :shock:
He has OM of FH via GOD LETO...lucky bastard
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Freakzilla wrote: But it's a 1986 Kramer Baretta American:
not a bad looking guitar. I love the sound and shape of my black gibson (only epiphone model unfortunately):
http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?Pro ... ectionID=6

Though the action is pretty clunky.

How is the action on the Baretta? I assume it is a little more suited to speedy leads than the the gibson is. Though Slash never seemed to have a problem :)
Simon

Post by Simon »

Freakzilla wrote:The only plastic on that guitar I know of was in the pick-ups.

I love the necks on the Jackson guitars. Randy Rhodes is one of my favorites.
Hells yeah, First record I ever bought, EVER, was the Randy Rhoads Tribute alblum! 8) (that and to my shame, the Grateful Dead's "American Beauty" ::shivers::) I am just not a fan of the Dead. :?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SimonH wrote:How is the action on the Baretta? I assume it is a little more suited to speedy leads than the the gibson is. Though Slash never seemed to have a problem :)
I don't have it anymore, I think I pawned it for pot when I was a kid. :oops:

But it had a wide neck that was very flat, almost like a classical neck.

Yeah, it was built for solos (originally designed by EVH).

The only axe I have now is a Yamaha FG-70 (yes, 1970) folk guitar. I need to get it refretted but I love it. I was thinking of trying to do it myself but I'm scared.

:shock:

I was also thinking of putting nylon strings on it and teaching my kids. Anyone know how durrable they are compared to metal?

Don't be ashamed of liking the Dead, I got arrested at one of their concerts.

:P
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

The top 3 strings of a nylon set are unwound and last forever the bottom 3 are wound and do wear out. The Yamaha FG-70, is it set up for steel string? If so it would have harder fret wire and would cut through nylon strings IMO.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I could file the frets so they're rounded off and not square.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

That might help but I'd ask a local luthier before going ahead with such a modification.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I read a long time ago that Eddie Van Halen did it. But he aslo boils his strings before each show so they bend easier, so...

You'd think you could get fret wire that's already rounded.
orald

Post by orald »

Mandy wrote:Shar pei? I think that's what they're called.
Indeed! :D
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Nylon strings are hell hardy, but when they lose their tone they are a pain

What about your bridge - will that handle the thicker strings?

RE: boiling strings - I know that electric bass strings can be boiled to be like new. My hands sweat heaps and kill my electric strings. Maybe I can do that too. never tried!

were these incidents related? :D
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SimonH wrote:What about your bridge - will that handle the thicker strings?
Good question...
RE: boiling strings - I know that electric bass strings can be boiled to be like new. My hands sweat heaps and kill my electric strings. Maybe I can do that too. never tried!
Do you wipe them down? Take a cloth and wrap it around a string, pinch it and slide it up and down the string. A lot of rust will come off.

were these incidents related? :D
No, I was arrested at the Dead show for selling LSD.

SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Freakzilla wrote: Do you wipe them down? Take a cloth and wrap it around a string, pinch it and slide it up and down the string. A lot of rust will come off.
I have tried, but not consistently. My sweat is just damn corrosive. All of the metallic parts of my guitar are heavily corroded.
Freakzilla wrote: No, I was arrested at the Dead show for selling LSD.
Lol. Must have been doing quite a business before you got busted :)

I'm glad you aren't in jail - there must be some unfortunate people who got busted for minor drug offences that are still in jail from years ago when laws were more strict.
Drugs -> jail doesn't make sense to me. Every city just needs a district like the centre of Amsterdam :D
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SimonH wrote:
Freakzilla wrote: Do you wipe them down? Take a cloth and wrap it around a string, pinch it and slide it up and down the string. A lot of rust will come off.
I have tried, but not consistently. My sweat is just damn corrosive. All of the metallic parts of my guitar are heavily corroded.
You'd have to do it every time you sweated on them, it does increase their life though.
Freakzilla wrote: No, I was arrested at the Dead show for selling LSD.
Lol. Must have been doing quite a business before you got busted :)

I'm glad you aren't in jail - there must be some unfortunate people who got busted for minor drug offences that are still in jail from years ago when laws were more strict.
Drugs -> jail doesn't make sense to me. Every city just needs a district like the centre of Amsterdam :D
I don't have a problem with locking people up for selling drugs illegally but putting people in jail for using drugs is like jailing people for an eating dissorder. Drug addiction is a mental health issue, not a crime.

There's a cool place in Coppenhagen called Christiana, go there if you ever get a chance.
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

yeah I've heard of it. its definitely on the list - meant to be a bit more hippy and less commercial than Amsterdam?

there's always research work going in the Scandinavian countries. maybe that's another reason to go work up that way (adding to the prominence of hot blonde women!)
Drug addiction is a mental health issue, not a crime.
agreed 100%
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Ive been there.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:
Ive been there.
Did you smoke anything?

I bought a gram of hash, a pipe and sat down at one of the tables in Captain Nemo's rock garden and got a Tuborg (God I loved that beer). The Danish girls were SO hot. I saw all the people around me mixing their hash with cigarette tobbaco and thought to myself, "these people are lightweights!". So I packed it straight into my pipe and smoked it.

I got so stoned I nearly puked. I'd never been that high on THC before. It must have taken me an hour to drink that beer before I felt that I could get on my rented public bike and peddle out of there.

After that I went to the gold domed Christ Kirk (church) right outside the gates and climbed the dome. I thought for sure I was going to fall. Then I biked all over the rest of the city. What a day that was.
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Sounds like fun :D

My speech was reduced to animal noises after the slightest toke in amsterdam. but then I have always been lightweight with pot.
That is a mad place to be when you are having trouble with reality anyway. Pretty in the snow though

Yeah what is with the tobacco mixing? People seem to do that in the city that I live now... Tastes like crap. I would never do it by choice.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

My first weekend in Germany, in the army, I went out on the town with the guys in my platoon in Wursburg. We went to the Green Goose disco (the one they told me not to go to in a safety briefing that afternoon) and my buddies asked me if I wanted to smoke some hash but when I hit it it tasted like perfume. Turned out, it wasn't hash, it was opium.

I'd never even seen that before. It was a good thing though because I'm not a dancer... but I was that night!
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

:lol:

In my younger years, we use to make a joint of hash and put it in a bigger joint of pot...a joint within joint kinda thing... :P

Come to think of it, it looked like a Heighliner and it had the same use :

We travelled without movement... :shock:
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Freakzilla wrote:My first weekend in Germany, in the army, I went out on the town with the guys in my platoon in Wursburg. We went to the Green Goose disco (the one they told me not to go to in a safety briefing that afternoon) and my buddies asked me if I wanted to smoke some hash but when I hit it it tasted like perfume. Turned out, it wasn't hash, it was opium.

I'd never even seen that before. It was a good thing though because I'm not a dancer... but I was that night!
:lol: :shock: :lol:

I thought opium would put you to sleep. I just think of people lying around smoking away. Though I guess some people get into a party mood on pot and I just chill out (or freak out depending on the amount!)
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Rakis wrote::lol:

In my younger years, we use to make a joint of hash and put it in a bigger joint of pot...a joint within joint kinda thing... :P

Come to think of it, it looked like a Heighliner and it had the same use :

We travelled without movement... :shock:
that would put me to sleep faster than a KJA book reading.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SimonH wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:My first weekend in Germany, in the army, I went out on the town with the guys in my platoon in Wursburg. We went to the Green Goose disco (the one they told me not to go to in a safety briefing that afternoon) and my buddies asked me if I wanted to smoke some hash but when I hit it it tasted like perfume. Turned out, it wasn't hash, it was opium.

:lol: :shock: :lol:

I thought opium would put you to sleep. I just think of people lying around smoking away. Though I guess some people get into a party mood on pot and I just chill out (or freak out depending on the amount!)
For what it's worth, I was a little drunk to begin with. After all, I was in Germany.

Hefe Weissen ROOLZ!
orald

Post by orald »

Drug addicts shouldn't be jailed...they should be shot! :evil:

All heil me as God Emperor of Earth! :twisted:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.