Did the BG have a justifiable position against prescience?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

A Thing of Eternity

Re: Did the BG have a justifiable position against prescience?

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Freakzilla wrote:First of all, the KH is, by definition, male. The giver cannot withstand the force that takes. As ToE said, dominant malignant male ancestors will always possess a RM who accessess those OMs. This is why the KH had to be male.
Right - for clarification of my post, I'm saying that Alia is in my opinion what would happen if you tried to create the female equivalent of a KH (EDIT: and what I mean by that, is a KH by the new definition of KH based upon Paul, not on the original definition which would just be gibberish since the KH was basically to be a male RM). She's clearly above and beyond the average RM's capabilities, but also not stable due to the problem with male OM.

Am I correct in my statement above that the issue of male/female OM is not actually one of access per-say, it's more an issue of the danger of attempting to access the male? I always got the impression in the books that if an RM was dumb enough she could totally choose to look into male OM, it would just destroy her.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Am I correct in my statement above that the issue of male/female OM is not actually one of access per-say, it's more an issue of the danger of attempting to access the male? I always got the impression in the books that if an RM was dumb enough she could totally choose to look into male OM, it would just destroy her.
I agree completely.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

what I was thinking was that the Witches ultimate goal would have been a Reverend Mother that could look into
"that place they dared not" ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
A Thing of Eternity

SandRider wrote:what I was thinking was that the Witches ultimate goal would have been a Reverend Mother that could look into
There's nothing to really use as evidence against you on that, but I don't think there's anything for you either - I'm guessing this is more gut-reaction and speculation on your part, or was there something in the text that lead you to that idea?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the idea, seems totally like something the BG would attempt, I'm just not familiar with anything in the books that would have hinted at this idea.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:what I was thinking was that the Witches ultimate goal would have been a Reverend Mother that could look into
I imagine they thought of that before the KH breeding program, tried, got a bunch of abominations, decided to go with a male for that reason.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
I imagine they thought of that before the KH breeding program, tried, got a bunch of abominations, decided to go with a male for that reason.
I think what SR is saying though is that he thinks they would have eventually taken the breeding program in a new direction after they got their KH, perhaps trying to breed the characteristic that allows males to look into both sides of OM into a female, thus allowing them to return to being an all female group female equivalents to KH's.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Bull-Dyke KH?

(I seriously didn't know what I expected when I did a google image search for "bull-dyke nun" but it wasn't that! :shock: I've discovered a whole new genre of pr0n.)
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

One thing that gets the wheels turning in my head that FH totally missed out on (probably due to the times) was transgender OM capabilities. Now we're into full blown speculation land, but I would think that a female body with a male mind would be full capable of being a proper KH under FH's rules, and might fit the BG criteria for a "female" KH. (Not really female though, as a transgendered person would be technically considered to be the gender of the mind, not the body)

Total speculation, but trans-gender fascinates me and seems somewhat relevant if we're talking about a "female KH" at all.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:One thing that gets the wheels turning in my head that FH totally missed out on (probably due to the times) was transgender OM capabilities. Now we're into full blown speculation land, but I would think that a female body with a male mind would be full capable of being a proper KH under FH's rules, and might fit the BG criteria for a "female" KH. (Not really female though, as a transgendered person would be technically considered to be the gender of the mind, not the body)

Total speculation, but trans-gender fascinates me and seems somewhat relevant if we're talking about a "female KH" at all.
I was afraid to ask how you would accomplish that. Sounds like possession to me! :P

I think the ulta-ultimate goal would be men and women who could access both sides.

But I think when you put a male mind into a female body you're losing the point of the sisterhood.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

How about a Reverend Face Dancer? :think:

Pretty much what Marty and Daniel were, no?
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote: I think the ulta-ultimate goal would be men and women who could access both sides.

But I think when you put a male mind into a female body you're losing the point of the sisterhood.
I agree, the mind is the mind. My point was that they wouldn't even have to breed for it necessarily, once they had a KH they could just keep breeding as many KH's as possible, and statistically someone is going to eventually have a transgendered "daughter".

Does totally defeat their whole women-only thing though.
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:How about a Reverend Face Dancer? :think:

I'll have to look at the passages in question, off the top of my head I'm not sure whether they had OM access (either for 1 half or both halves), or if they just had the memories of those specific people they'd assimilated.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:

I'll have to look at the passages in question, off the top of my head I'm not sure whether they had OM access (either for 1 half or both halves), or if they just had the memories of those specific people they'd assimilated.
They had mentats, too.
~Pink Snowman
lukecash12

Post by lukecash12 »

Freakzilla wrote:
I would suggest, that given the BG's idea of abominations and how central this imperative is within their dogma that an abomination (female with full OM) is reprehensible, that they were exhaustive enough to draw a hard, straight line over the issue. I'm in the same boat as you, because the BG don't tend to draw hard, straight lines unless it really resonates with them.
The sentence below this is false.
The sentence above this is true.
lukecash12

Post by lukecash12 »

Freakzilla wrote:

They had mentats, too.
The Tleilaxu had everything, so far as I can tell. Actually, Scytale's claim of his people having made a KH and how they took care of him, would make for an interesting discussion. But this may be a redundant topic. Have you guys gone over Scytale's claim from Dune Messiah in detail?
The sentence below this is false.
The sentence above this is true.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lukecash12 wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

They had mentats, too.
The Tleilaxu had everything, so far as I can tell. Actually, Scytale's claim of his people having made a KH and how they took care of him, would make for an interesting discussion. But this may be a redundant topic. Have you guys gone over Scytale's claim from Dune Messiah in detail?
Yeah, we've beat Scytale to death for lots of things.

But that doesn't mean we can't do it agian! Start a topic here: viewforum.php?f=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Pink Snowman
Smiley

Post by Smiley »

I was recently thinking that the BG's aversion to prescience later on came from the fact that their goal blew up in their faces. Until then they did not fully comprehend the forces they were meddling with and now avoid it all together. Now Leto II wanted humanity to not want to be under the thumb of super beings and resist the want of them. The BG maybe take this a bit far. It's like they caused a grease fire and instead of learning to be more careful with the stove they (for the most part) want to lock everyone out of the kitchen.