What was the Typhoon Struggle?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

shishi

What was the Typhoon Struggle?

Post by shishi »

In Children of Dune, I remember the Typhoon Struggle being brought up,
and in GEoD, I believe this was equated to Kralizec, later revealed to mean "cloud darkness at the end of the universe".

What does the typhoon refer to? Is it a concept that comes from people on Arrakis, such that a massive amount of water, too much water introduced all of a sudden, is like a doomsday event?

Is Typhoon Struggle/Kralizec really some certain event that is going to happen in the future, or is it just any possible doomsday event which must be avoided or overcome?
By doomsday, I don't necessary mean forces of nature but humanity or life perishing, perhaps through their own actions.

Is the goal of the Golden Path to see all these possible kralizec, and find the path that will avoid them all, or more importantly, if they can't be avoided, have humanity able to cope with them?
Thus thought
二士皚捌
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: What was the Typhoon Struggle?

Post by Freakzilla »

Fremen speech implies great concision, a precise sense of expression. It is
immersed in the illusion of absolutes. Its assumptions are a fertile ground for
absolutist religions. Furthermore, Fremen are fond of moralizing. They confront
the terrifying instability of all things with institutionalized statements. They
say: "We know there is no summa of all attainable knowledge; that is the
preserve of God. But whatever men can learn, men can contain." Out of this
knife-edged approach to the universe they carve a fantastic belief in signs and
omens and in their own destiny. This is an origin of their Kralizec legend: the
war at the end of the universe.

-Bene Gesserit Private Reports/folio 800881
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

once again, I'm gonna toss out the idea of having a "You Must Be This Tall to Start Threads" threshold ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
lotek

Post by lotek »

shishi wrote:In Children of Dune, I remember the Typhoon Struggle being brought up,
and in GEoD, I believe this was equated to Kralizec, later revealed to mean "cloud darkness at the end of the universe".

What does the typhoon refer to? Is it a concept that comes from people on Arrakis, such that a massive amount of water, too much water introduced all of a sudden, is like a doomsday event?

Is Typhoon Struggle/Kralizec really some certain event that is going to happen in the future, or is it just any possible doomsday event which must be avoided or overcome?
By doomsday, I don't necessary mean forces of nature but humanity or life perishing, perhaps through their own actions.

Is the goal of the Golden Path to see all these possible kralizec, and find the path that will avoid them all, or more importantly, if they can't be avoided, have humanity able to cope with them?
that was... interesting...
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

shishi wrote:Is the goal of the Golden Path to see all these possible kralizec, and find the path that will avoid them all, or more importantly, if they can't be avoided, have humanity able to cope with them?
No, the goal of the Golden Path was to expand humanity beyond the Old Empire seemingly infinitely so that no one threat could ever destroy them all.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines, eh Shishi?
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
lotek

Post by lotek »

anyone aware of this?
http://kralizec.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT
Paul Atreides’s first action in Dune is an imitation that fails. As Reverend Mother Mohiam looks in on him, he pretends to be asleep. Looking back from the end, we may call what he attempts “concealment in a no-consciousness,” while in light of Plato’s Sophist, we may call it “concealment in nonbeing.” But Reverend Mother Mohiam, like Reverend Mother Anteac, is very good at what she does, and she detects Paul’s imitation or concealment in nonbeing.

Had Paul sat up in bed when the door to his room first opened, Mohiam would have learned that he was awake. Had he succeeded in feigning sleep, she would have learned nothing accurate. Observing Paul’s failed attempt, she learned both that he was awake and that he was a sly little rascal.
yeah well...
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

shishi wrote:What does the typhoon refer to?
A lot of pointless wind.

You.

Fuck off.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Shishi.

Shishi.

Sorry, just felt like saying "shishi."

Carry on.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
reverendmotherQ.

Post by reverendmotherQ. »

OH tension tension tension. You guys make my day.
None of this bible quoting shit to fit your own agenda, I agree. Read it - its right there in front of you kiddos. But you got to remind them of all the work Herbert put into the original - else they will never figure out the problem here.

Oh, I must be acting as the fun police.
Go at it boys!

EDIT - To THE DUKESTER - I love your signature :dies of laughter: