Muad'Dib56

Ix

Post by Muad'Dib56 »

i wonder how the planet would look like in a Dune movie :roll:
Lisan Al-Gaib

Re: Ix

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

Muad'Dib56 wrote:i wonder how the planet would look like in a Dune movie :roll:
man, are you a virus, or something like that?
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

No description is ever given in FH's books and I think the underground grotto of the prequels is just too far out. I imagine it very industrial but not somehow not poluted.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

It's probably just like Earth.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

:post whore:
Secher_Nbiw

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Rakis wrote:
:post whore:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i love that smiley
I love that smiley too!

@ Muad'Dib56: Stop being a jackass, fucking troll. And read the goddamned books, we never really see Ix so why would it be in the film.
I am a mortal god.
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Is this a serious post? And what are you rolling your eyes at, the movie?
orald

Post by orald »

Of course we see it in the books! Anbd we need a big exposition at the start of the movie, showing Leto and Rombur(?) kicking Tleilaxu ass in close quarters on Ix. 8)
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Seriously, though, can't you see them doing a reprise of Duniverse history at the beginning of the movie, to get the audience up to speed, like the illustrated version with narration on one of the DVD versions. (I've never seen it myself.)

What better place to insert Omnius and Erasmus, their version of the Jihad, Norma Sue and whatever else they can think of...like a glimpse or two of Ix.

It would almost make sense in a way:

"The Jihad destroyed all computer technology in the Imperium...except maybe on Ix and Richese...." :(
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

I hope they show Kailea dancing in the Grand Palais on Ix in the movie. That would be sensational.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Troublemaker. :evil:

:lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
orald

Post by orald »

chanilover wrote:I hope they show Kailea dancing in the Grand Palais on Ix in the movie. That would be sensational.
I thought she was spending her time on Kaitain...Hence Chig's sig. :?
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Onasander

Post by Onasander »

I've pondered this question in the past- during the Butlarian Jihad- your going to have certain planets where it's suicidal to take the anti-machine ideology literally without causing all live on the planet itself to die off- I can see entire spacestations being abandoned, or even fleets- but those two concepts are small in nature- and designed to be in my mind left easily for another planet.

A oddball like IX- if it's just rought enough of a planet to insure that if a anti-technology drive was brought to full- everyone WILL die, and if the planet was massive enough in population, had a political stranglehold, military capacity, and very strong trade to being with- and were not just STRONG supporters of the Jihad, but leaders in it- I can see a good basis for IX continuing on largely. In time- most machines have to go bye-bye- and anything left becomes restricted access..... but in honesty- I can see this happening.

So Ix in my mind would NOT look like earth. Like a moon, or Mars, or a volcano planet- I don't know. Do I have any proof- a quote? No- just a hunch to explain this.

There is precedent for this in Erewhon during their civil war- both factions continued to develop weaponry and technology for the war front..... however, as a isolated island- as opposed to the galaxy- in the end all technology was outlawed save in a museum. All IX would need is stringent Visas to keep out the troublemakers (as well as stop it's own population from causing a shocking scene when out about traveling and seeing planet's who never dare aspire above the donkey cart in terms of travel), and too keep it's mouth shut culturally, and deliver the needed complex industrial goods to the houses. As Ix is isolated, and the Spacing Guild is going to be sympathetic to them nine times out of ten in not delivering bands of self proclaimed Jihadist there to finish the job- I think they are in a damn good position to continue on in their technological drive. Gotta figure out a way to replace the supercomputers with equally dependable set-ups for monitoring and maintenance for the odd zealot, pro-butlarian emperor who's gonna launch his own investigations and pogroms out of principle- but I think they have a lot of wiggle room.

Just how I see it could and would be, but am not forcing it as a absolute by any means- IX lacks a lot of background info in Frank's work.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

You are = you're.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Onasander wrote:...
Do you have some kind of random text generator that you use to simulate a post? Somehow you also have the magical ability to make me want to ignore everything you write.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Nekhrun wrote:
Onasander wrote:...
Do you have some kind of random text generator that you use to simulate a post? Somehow you also have the magical ability to make me want to ignore everything you write.
:lol: ... same here. So far I have refrained from commenting on this guy's posts but damn it's inane!
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

an anti-technology ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
rattinox

Post by rattinox »

Yes, sheer Noobery, I confess, but:

I was hoping to find much more commentary about Kailea here.

She has to be a composite of all the Chicks BPH and KJA never had the slightest chance of scoring with, even with their vaunted wealth :violin:

What are your thoughts?
I look for Things. Things I need. Things that make me Go.....
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

rattinox wrote:Yes, sheer Noobery, I confess, but:

I was hoping to find much more commentary about Kailea here.

She has to be a composite of all the Chicks BPH and KJA never had the slightest chance of scoring with, even with their vaunted wealth :violin:

What are your thoughts?
Kailea who? This thread is in the Dune Discussion area.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros