Fear the alien squids!

Post by GamePlayer »

This is weird, but kinda cool :)

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... pinna.html
Alien-like Squid With "Elbows" Filmed at Drilling Site
Kelly Hearn
for National Geographic News
November 24, 2008

A mile and a half (two and a half kilometers) underwater, a remote control submersible's camera has captured an eerie surprise: an alien-like, long-armed, and—strangest of all—"elbowed" Magnapinna squid. (See photos of Magnapinna.)

In a brief video from the dive recently obtained by National Geographic News, one of the rarely seen squid loiters above the seafloor in the Gulf of Mexico on November 11, 2007.

The clip—from a Shell oil company ROV (remotely operated vehicle)—arrived after a long, circuitous trip through oil-industry in-boxes and other email accounts.

"Perdido ROV Visitor, What Is It?" the email's subject line read—Perdido being the name of a Shell-owned drilling site. Located about 200 miles (320 kilometers) off Houston, Texas (Gulf of Mexico map), Perdido is one of the world's deepest oil and gas developments.

The video clip shows the screen of the ROV's guidance monitor framed with pulsing inputs of time and positioning data.

In a few seconds of jerky camerawork, the squid appears with its huge fins waving like elephant ears and its remarkable arms and tentacles trailing from elbow-like appendages.

Despite the squid's apparent unflappability on camera, Magnapinna, or "big fin," squid remain largely a mystery to science.

ROVs have filmed Magnapinna squid a dozen or so times in the Gulf and the Pacific, Atlantic, and Indian Oceans.

The recent video marks the first sighting of a Magnapinna at an oil development, though experts don't think the squid's presence there has any special scientific significance.

But the video is evidence of how, as oil- and gas-industry ROVs dive deeper and stay down longer, they are yielding valuable footage of deep-sea animals.

Some marine biologists have even formed formal partnerships with oil companies, allowing scientists to share camera time on the corporate ROVs—though critics worry about possible conflicts of interest.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

I like it! And what's with the elbows???
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

That is bizarre!
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

I'm a fan of Giant Squids. Nice!
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:I'm a fan of Giant Squids. Nice!
LOL :) Did you ever see the Korean film Oldboy? :)
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

GamePlayer wrote:
Oh man dont remind me! That scene when he eats it :lol: , great movie, too bad Steven Spielberg and Will Smith are remaking it :?
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Freaky. :D

(What's he eat in Oldboy? A squid? YUM! Had a salad with little stuffed yariika for lunch yesterday; excellent! I much prefer squid to octopus. What time is it? Argh...still three hours till lunch. :( )

Mmmm, babbies...come to papa! :D
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Ok, that looks like the Queen in Aliens...

Wait a minute... :shock:

Didn't a queen got thrown out in the water at the end of the first Alien vs Predator film ?! :shock:
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

You actually remember those awful AVP films? For shame!

My Chigga
I'm not sure what kind of squid he hate in Oldboy, but it was one large squid, at least half a meter in length. Oh yeah, and it was alive. :vomit:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Kewl...ikizukuri and odorigui at the same time! :D
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Rakis wrote:Ok, that looks like the Queen in Aliens...

Wait a minute... :shock:

Didn't a queen got thrown out in the water at the end of the first Alien vs Predator film ?! :shock:
Who cares? It's AVP...

I honestly don't believe those movies count as part of the Alien universe. I couldn't care less about the Predator universe, however.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Laphtiya

Post by Laphtiya »

Gotta love that squid, bet'll taste nice as Sushi :)
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Ah, alien squids! The only thing stopping us from nuking the world. :)
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

Seraphan wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:
Oh man dont remind me! That scene when he eats it :lol: , great movie, too bad Steven Spielberg and Will Smith are remaking it :?
Yes, I did. It's great and crazy movie. The eating squid's scene is very nice!

I love the fighting scene in the hallway, it was one of the best that I ever saw. It's impressive how they did a scene like that without using CGIs, explosions and time-bullet effect...

I still want to know WHY they want to remake this movie! it's no sense! The movie still fresh, and moreover, it make part of a movie series with the Revenge theme.
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Uh, Oldboy's now famous fight sequence did use CGI. They say so in the director/cinematographer commentary. While the whole fight scene was done in one astonishing shot (that took 17 takes before they got it right) Chan-wook Park says they used CGI to correct the blows that were a little off or didn't quite connect.

As for the remake, the age of a film has little to do with the reason for remaking it. A good film is a good film; the reason Hollywood wants to remake Oldboy is to make money off a proven idea in a new film that can be more properly tailored to the tastes of a North American audience.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Hollywood wants to remake the manga not the Korean film. I've been meaning to see the movie. Is the movie actually good or is it all hype?
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Ah, so it'll lack some more explicit parts from the movie then. Totally unsurprising. Hollywood wouldn't have the guts to produce a remake that was faithful to the original Park film.

Oldboy is not a film I can easily recommend to anyone without knowing something about your viewing tastes and the kind of person you are. I love the Vengeance Trilogy from Park, but they are brutal movies, not just for the violence, but for the disturbing subject matter. These are not good guy/bad guy films about the wronged New York cop on a fun action-film-hero style romp to avenge the wrongful death of his girlfriend/wife. Park doesn't pull any punches and shows all the gritty, dirty, ugly sides of the "evil that men do" in the name of vengeance. None of the characters escape significant moral dilemma in Oldboy.

I've seen both Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Oldboy, but I've yet to catch Lady Vengeance. So far they are incredible films. They are well shot and well acted and both have really good endings that most viewers will never see coming.

If I could try to find an analogy for these films, the closest I could come up with in recent memory would be Passion of the Christ and NOT because of any religious or thematic similarities, but because both films are an endurance test for most movie goers. The violence and disturbing imagery is something most people wouldn't even consider entertainment.

But then again, you don't watch the vengeance trilogy to be solely entertained, but to be entertained AND slapped into thinking by the provocative themes; imagining/questioning what you yourself would do in that situation.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

The funny thing about Passion of the Christ is that in the theater the brutality didn't really get to me; it was only when I saw it again on DVD...

I enjoyed the first two Saw movies. The rest were clearly just brutal for the sake of being brutal.

I think I'll check Oldboy out when I get the chance.
Sole Man

On OLDBOY

Post by Sole Man »

In the movie I saw he ate a small little octopus, biting its head off and spitting it out after the take was done. Half a meter long my ass.

The fighting scene was crap too. (The one in the corridor right?) I mean, if it weren't for the fact he had a knife in his back (Which was too much like one of those..."Apocalyspe Mad world things" for me)