Are you all ready for turkey day?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

SandRider wrote:out of kindness, I suppose, I held off last night on this one.

John Wayne is epitome of what is tragically wrong with my country.
You are just a hater, pilgrim... :P
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

you forgot mean-spirited drunk & godless communist ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Re: on Thanks giving

Post by Nekhrun »

Sole Man wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:
Eyes High wrote:
Sole Man wrote:... talk about John Wayne while we're eating, ...
All good talk I hope. :lol:
You shouldn't talk while you're eating. Besides, John Wayne was dumb.
*Stares at in shock for a moment, mouth agape*

But...you...hun...? Wha, wha, wha...

WHO IS THIS PERSON?! He's a blasphamey! He needs to be drawn and quartered! Immedaetely!
Try and catch me. The only thing worse than John Wayne is James Bond.
mielikki
Location: Take a left at Andromeda and aim for the Horsehead Nebulus

Post by mielikki »

Actually John Wayne used to go up the coast here yearly in that bloody great boat of his.

He usually stopped off at one of our pubs (taverns) on his way up and back.
He did not leave us with a good impression at any time. After provoking fights between his bodyguards and the locals, harassing the wait staff and denigrating any and all Canadians that ever drew breath.. he would bugger off till the next time.

Sorry, but he was just nasty.

Now I am probably banned. :(
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

he was not a nice person, personally.
he hated horses and was bisexual.
he hated the persona he had to take on; he intended to be a serious
dramatic actor, but got typecast as the Big Cowboy in the 1930's, and never escaped it.
he was mean to his children.
he was intellectually dishonest and artistically fraudulent.

worse than his personal failings, however, which were his to do with
as he pleased, he created a stereotype of the "American Man" that we
have not lived down to this day. John Wayne is held up as the American
Standard. as I said, he is the epitome of what is tragically wrong with
this country (America). not only is he a poor role model for moral, decent
human behavior, the image itself is a lie and a fraud. Just like America.

{edit} and for me personally, the worst offense was "The Green Berets", a shameless piece of government propaganda that furthered many of the myths of "why we were in Viet Nam" at the time. I hated him from then on, even after somewhat enjoying the Westerns and WWII movies....
{edit} oh yeah, and his real name is Marion Morrison, which I would make fun of if my grandaddy hadn't been named Marion, too. (and for the record, grandaddy loved John Wayne - of course, grandaddy was a Klansman, too ....)
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

SandRider wrote:John Wayne is held up as the American Standard.
I really wouldn't go that far SandRider. I never felt he was representative of the U.S.A. as a whole, how could he?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh, dear dear dear. This is turning out nicely, isn't it?

"Are we having fun yet?" ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

So how was it, everyone? Was it warm, and fuzzy, and full of memories of all those brave pilgrims?
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:shock:

Huh? Um...unless I'm mistaken, it hasn't happened yet for most people in the States.

Fourth Thursday in November, making it the day after tomorrow (already Tuesday here).

We did ours yesterday (er, Sunday, I mean. Was quite nice, thanks for asking, although I obviously have not died from a food overdose :D ) because Monday was a public holiday here in Japan (Kinrou Kansha no Hi, "Labor Thanksgiving Day") and most of us didn't have to work. (Yes, my second five-day-period-without-having-to-go-in-to-the-office this month! :P )

Pilgrims? Oh yeah, close-minded religious wingnuts. ;)
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

SandChigger wrote::shock:

Huh? Um...unless I'm mistaken, it hasn't happened yet for most people in the States.

Fourth Thursday in November, making it the day after tomorrow (already Tuesday here).

We did ours yesterday (er, Sunday, I mean. Was quite nice, thanks for asking, although I obviously have not died from a food overdose :D ) because Monday was a public holiday here in Japan (Kinrou Kansha no Hi, "Labor Thanksgiving Day") and most of us didn't have to work. (Yes, my second five-day-period-without-having-to-go-in-to-the-office this month! :P )

Pilgrims? Oh yeah, close-minded religious wingnuts. ;)
My bad, I suppose I assumed it was yesterday...
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

inhuien wrote:
SandRider wrote:John Wayne is held up as the American Standard.
I really wouldn't go that far SandRider. I never felt he was representative of the U.S.A. as a whole, how could he?
I'll go alot farther than that. Since he's been dead for 30 years, John Wayne certainly doesn't hold the place in American culture that he once did - evolution in film-making has also devauled the impact of his films, audiences are more sophisticated and simplistic stories don't fly the way they used. But make no mistake, around the time of the 1971 Playboy interview, John Wayne was THE American Male. I won't beat this dead horse-hater anymore, but he's right up there in the top ten Worst Americans in History, somewhere after Lincoln but before Nixon. About on par with Joe McCarthy, maybe, or both the Bush Presidents. Not as evil as Lee Atwater, of course. Anyway, here's a little extremely biased background, the first dealing with the John Wayne myth itself, and the second some academic liberal gibberish about films & culture in general, but some interesting takes on Wayne buried deep in there, and a passing mention of his visit to the Harvard Lampoon.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/200 ... ohn_wayne/
http://www.americanpopularculture.com/j ... _trodd.htm
The SandChigger wrote:Pilgrims? Oh yeah, close-minded religious wingnuts.
Say that again, but louder this time. Add repressive, oppressive, tyrannical. America's colonial roots are much more firmly placed in Jamestown and Virginia. I'll put the Pilgrims up there in that list of Worst Americans Ever. I celebrate Thanksgiving the same way I do Christmas, as the commercial, secular holiday it's become. Apparently all my children and their spawn are coming out here this year; they seem to think I'm going to die soon, and are jostling themselves into line to circle my corpse. They don't yet know I've already had the lawyers draw up papers leaving the entire estate to the mexicans & their spawn. I'm saving that gem for Christmas Morning.
ImageImage

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

^^^Well if I knew that you were speaking in the past tense (30 years past) I could have saved myself the bother of replying.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

yeah, I keep forgetting who I'm talking to sometimes. For me, 30 years ago ain't all that long .... and John Wayne, like anti-union talk, is just one of those things that push my buttons .... :roll:
ImageImage

Sole Man

on Sandrider.

Post by Sole Man »

Nkhrun: I hate you.

Sandrider: I'll ignore your hatred for John Wayne, and the factthat you think Mountain Dew isn't the greatest soda drink ever made, all because of your passing the Obama stickers at the Sons of the confederacy meeting.

Man, you are one sick puppy...
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

SandRider wrote:he was not a nice person, personally.
he hated horses and was bisexual.
he hated the persona he had to take on; he intended to be a serious
dramatic actor, but got typecast as the Big Cowboy in the 1930's, and never escaped it.
he was mean to his children.
he was intellectually dishonest and artistically fraudulent.

worse than his personal failings, however, which were his to do with
as he pleased, he created a stereotype of the "American Man" that we
have not lived down to this day. John Wayne is held up as the American
Standard. as I said, he is the epitome of what is tragically wrong with
this country (America). not only is he a poor role model for moral, decent
human behavior, the image itself is a lie and a fraud. Just like America.

{edit} and for me personally, the worst offense was "The Green Berets", a shameless piece of government propaganda that furthered many of the myths of "why we were in Viet Nam" at the time. I hated him from then on, even after somewhat enjoying the Westerns and WWII movies....
{edit} oh yeah, and his real name is Marion Morrison, which I would make fun of if my grandaddy hadn't been named Marion, too. (and for the record, grandaddy loved John Wayne - of course, grandaddy was a Klansman, too ....)
Weird. Most people outside the US think the standard US male is Homer Simpson or that fat guy from Family Guy.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Tleszer wrote:Cowboys were stupid. Indians is where it's at! :D
That Talking Turd Arnoloco once sent me a PM on Dungnovels when I made fun of Aztecs, telling me American Indians were probably related to my family in the Philippines. What a peculiar creature he is.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

CL wrote:Weird. Most people outside the US think the standard US male is Homer Simpson or that fat guy from Family Guy.
that's probably closer to today's opinion - like I said, I sometimes forget who I'm talking at and what decade it is. I'll still get on a roll about Nixon, too. I'm sure most of today's youth have little to no opinion of John Wayne, besides "That old Cowboy Dude".
ImageImage

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Re: on Sandrider.

Post by Nekhrun »

Sole Man wrote:Nkhrun: I hate you.

Sandrider: I'll ignore your hatred for John Wayne, and the factthat you think Mountain Dew isn't the greatest soda drink ever made, all because of your passing the Obama stickers at the Sons of the confederacy meeting.

Man, you are one sick puppy...
Wait a minute! I think Mountain Dew is the best beverage ever, does that help my cause at all?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

SandRider wrote:
The SandChigger wrote:Pilgrims? Oh yeah, close-minded religious wingnuts.
Say that again, but louder this time. Add repressive, oppressive, tyrannical. America's colonial roots are much more firmly placed in Jamestown and Virginia. I'll put the Pilgrims up there in that list of Worst Americans Ever.
Yeah, the wonnerful people what gave the world the Salem witch trials! :D

I hold them as a standard for Christian behavior: one which I'm sure today's American "Christians" would have no trouble whatsoever living down to.
Apparently all my children and their spawn are coming out here this year; they seem to think I'm going to die soon, and are jostling themselves into line to circle my corpse. They don't yet know I've already had the lawyers draw up papers leaving the entire estate to the mexicans & their spawn. I'm saving that gem for Christmas Morning.
:lol: That's good; that way you'll be able to enjoy the look on their faces when they find out. (I don't know what Texas law is like, but in Ohio the lawyers advise you to leave potentially troublesome relatives a little something—at least a dollar even—so that they don't have any real legal basis for contesting your will. That's why my mother left my sister $100 and her handmade doll collection. :lol: )

Family...ain't it grand! :D
Sole Man

on Family.

Post by Sole Man »

I really hope there isn't an afterlife; otherwise I think I'd be forced to spend it with my revaltives.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:
Apparently all my children and their spawn are coming out here this year; they seem to think I'm going to die soon, and are jostling themselves into line to circle my corpse. They don't yet know I've already had the lawyers draw up papers leaving the entire estate to the mexicans & their spawn. I'm saving that gem for Christmas Morning.

:lol: That's good; that way you'll be able to enjoy the look on their faces when they find out. (I don't know what Texas law is like, but in Ohio the lawyers advise you to leave potentially troublesome relatives a little something—at least a dollar even—so that they don't have any real legal basis for contesting your will. That's why my mother left my sister $100 and her handmade doll collection. :lol: )

Family...ain't it grand! :D
A lot of states have that. If you give them something minute, then you can put a clause into the will that says that anyone who contests the will automatically forfeits a right to take anything. Sometimes I wonder if dear old dad has that lil surprise in store for me.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

how well have you treated him in his "old age" ?
have you apologised for all the bullshit you pulled as kid ?
have you atleast made a token attempt to pay him back the money you owe him ?
if your mother has passed on or is otherwise absent, have you brought him whiskey and young women ?
if your mother has not passed on or is otherwise present, do you atleast take him to a strip club on his birthday ?
do you grumble when he spoils your children and get angry when he makes fun of you after your own children defy you ?

if you answered "yes" to most of these questions, you're probably okay.
ImageImage

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:shock: Ooh.

(But I gotta tell you, the look on someone nasty's face when they hear the will read and realize the dearly departed has given them the shaft...that is a thing of true beauty. Especially when you know it's coming. ;) )

Sloey, don't worry: family—and especially holidays with them—is why God gave us death in the first place. It's a blessing.
mielikki
Location: Take a left at Andromeda and aim for the Horsehead Nebulus

Post by mielikki »

pretty much the same rules in Canada, too. Cut 'em out completely, and you are looking a pretty good chance for someone to contest the will and win.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Are you all ready for turkey day?

Post by Freakzilla »

I got this in my Trails.com newsletter:

CAMPFIRE TURKEY

Things You'll Need:
Camp spade
Turkey
Olive oil
Salt
Rosemary
Parsley
Thyme
Dutch oven or cheesecloth and aluminum foil
Iron rake (optional)

Step 1 Start your campfire and use enough fuel so you will have plenty of hot coals. Wood fires are the norm, but charcoal briquettes could be used as a substitute. With a shovel or camp spade, dig a two-foot deep hole next to the fire. Make the hole wide enough to place your turkey inside with at least two inches of space on all sides.

Step 2 Clean the outside of your turkey and rub the skin with olive oil, salt and a seasoning mixture of rosemary, thyme and parsley. Stuff the turkey's cavity with your favorite stuffing recipe, peeled cloves of garlic or whatever else you prefer. Alternatively, you could choose to not stuff it at all.

Step 3 Put your turkey into a dutch oven if you have one big enough to accommodate it. The turkey cannot be touching the sidewalls of the oven, and if you have a big turkey, it is unlikely your oven will be large enough. If not using an oven, wrap the turkey in cheese cloth and then wrap the entire turkey in three to four layers of aluminum foil.

Step 4 Rake out half the coals from the campfire and into the pit. The bottom should be completely covered in coals, so consider one to two inches of coals a minimum. Also, make sure the stuff you rake in is mostly coals and not mostly ash. If there is no rake, use your shovel or camp spade. Place your turkey on top of those coals. Then rake the remainder of the coals into the pit and throw dirt on top until the pit is covered.

Step 5 Leave the turkey to roast in the pit. A bird eight to 12 lbs. will need about three hours, and add another half-hour for every four lbs. above that.

Step 6 Dig the turkey out, remove it from the foil/dutch oven and start carving.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman